Xs1100

1. mdnzz
    mdnzz
    Ok Iv'e got an old xs, she is in need of some serious refitting. Last owner did the bottom end, put in a weisco kit and chopped and modded the old girl.

Now putting her back to original is going to be a behemoth task, so in practicality Iv'e decided to at least try to restore some dignity to her.

So far have put 4-1 pipes aftermarket taps (old octis ) found a couple of spare inlet boots and such. Tank has been stripped gotta get it redone.
    Just small stuff really.
    Now the head needs something looked at, compression down middle pots, possibly sticky/clipped valves?

I have a good yamaha service manual access to some tools and possibly a real workshop,(not my backyard or lounge) but I lack any experience other than the real basics.

I don't have an endless budget or a lot of ready disposible cash so things have to be looked at and best worked at within budget.

I am looking at replacing the ignition with something akin to the Hardley down by the leg style. Is there very much problems with changing like so?

The seat I don't like, its actually a plastci chopping board with a cover :spank: Wouldn't mind maybe bobbing it a bit?

I can source some parts overseas, but have been quoted stupid freight charges on some items and that makes it not viable.

Any parts for these lying around looking for a needy worthwhile project I'd certainly look at.

Any good practical advise also welcomed.

O an if your into mechanicals and don't mind showing whats' what and have the time I would happily donate a good bottle of bourbon.
  2. The Pastor
    The Pastor
    can you post up some pictures mate?
  3. mdnzz
    mdnzz
    I have some loaded in my profile, shows what it looked like with the 'orginal 2-1 pipes, and how she looks today
  4. The Pastor
    The Pastor

here ya go. looks bloodly brilliant, maybe i'll get one for a project after my mc22!

5. mdnzz
    mdnzz
    Cheers Renegade, the bottom pic you can see the tank before I restripped the paintwork back off, it wasn't a good job and was flaky on left side.
    You can see the difference using aftermarket taps, bugga all room for hoses.
    Was thinkn the space behind them towards the seat would be semi okish for the ignition.
    You can see the inlet boots are shagged, I've smeared them in rtv until I can get new set.
    I notice though that whoever put the head back on used sealant rather than a proper gasket, are they as good as they say or is a proper gasket the way to go??
  6. The Pastor
    The Pastor
    i wouldnt use that silicon shit on a head gasket (but it doesnt look like it is a head gasket?) - but if its working...

what do u mean aftermarket taps?
  7. mdnzz
    mdnzz
    Ok I can hear the ol school boys groanin now, the are ehem cough cough Suzuki taps, single outlet.
    Yea it does look like they used rtv for the gasket, guess I'll find that out soon enough.
  8. mdnzz
    mdnzz
    they have def used in on the tops covers though
  9. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    Yep, there is clearly silicone under the rocker covers. That is not all bad. But when you take them off to work on the cam gear (adj valve clearance etc) you will need to strip and re-apply. Not sure with yours, but many have a rubber gasket (think a thick O-ring that is the shape of the rocker box) and if that one is in good condition and has not been pinched too badly, you do not need any silicone or new gaskets for the rocker boxes.

I be very surprised if someone would have used that stuff as a head gasket. Would not last long!

The taps look OK. Re space for them: you could make the tank sit a fraction higher by fitting some rubber between it and the frame. Or if you really want to keep those taps, then go the whole way and move them backwards on the tanks. (Here you end up cutting and welding, and is not that straight forward on a tank)

But she is looking good!
  10. mdnzz
    mdnzz
    Cheers.
    Just went an had a good squiz at her. They've used silicone in the top only. Looks like normal gaskets elsewhere, hopefully.
    But we'll find this out when the head comes off.
    However the bottom gasket I know is thicker than normal.
  11. mdnzz
    mdnzz
    I used these taps purely as budget suited, $38 for two as opposed to $360 quoted for new octi's.
    Bonus was these unit bolt straight into existing holes.
    However I have my eye on a brand new aftermarket BSA brass set.
    They look bloody great and think would be a nice touch.
    I've seen stacks on these an thought I could get a set spun up, this would give me some extra room behind the taps though the length may determine whether I can mount the ignition in under the tank or not.
  12. The Pastor
    The Pastor
    with that silicon shit, you can buy a black colord one, which wont be so gay looking....
  13. mdnzz
    mdnzz
    yea we use the black rtv at work all the time, though we have the orange crap too.
    I found online a lot of guys talking about rubber in an aerosol can. Good for cracked boots etc as it creates a good seal and tidy finish. Can't find any trace of it here though?
  14. The Pastor
    The Pastor
    Never heard of it myself, but i'd be keen to get some if it exists!
  15. mdnzz
    mdnzz
    there are several different versions overseas
    http://tinyurl.com/bjfsya
    an this
    http://tinyurl.com/chy3yz
    look to be the better option, cannot ship aersol can though so looking at the dip version and maybe gettin it canned here?

there is another item though however not sure if this would be as effective for the application I require though I can see many other K'bers gettting use from it perhaps?
    http://tinyurl.com/y9hale