Places to eat.

1. Spazman727
    Spazman727
    Post up some places that you've discovered in your travels that have good vegan or vegetarian food so people can have an idea of somewhere safe to eat.

Zippy's Cafe in Nelson is a good one. Nice food and mostly vegan with a few vegetarian things too.
    276 Hardy St Nelson.
  2. Motu
    Motu
    Golden Horse Takeaways? I don't eat out at all these days....maybe go to a pub or cafe on a ride,and I'll have some chips.That's a vice I'm happy with.

We used to eat out way back,and found good places to eat,making good food.They will be all gone now,and new ones will have taken their place.I don't like paying someone to make food for me...I'd rather do it myself.
  3. Nasty
    Nasty
    Hare Kristna resturant in the old back arcade wellington.
  4. Spazman727
    Spazman727
    There's a place on Dominion Road called The Blue Bird cafe. I haven't been there yet but the menu looks pretty good. They have vegan cakes too.
  5. Motu
    Motu
    Good to hear they are still going.I went there a few years ago and it was good to go to a cafe where I could eat most of the food.
  6. rustyrobot
    rustyrobot
    Last week I went for a ride out to Raglan to enjoy the sunshine at the seaside and noticed the Organic Burger Shack for the first time. They have three vegetarian burger options, one of which is vegan. There is also the option of having gluten-free buns. The three burgers are tofu (vegan), chickpea and pumpkin pattie, and lentil and herb pattie. They come with various sauces and vegetable accompaniments, and although they are a little expensive ($10 to $12), this is pretty much inline with the prices at other boutique burgeries like Burger Fuel, but all the ingredients are organic. I also had beer-battered fries with my burger (about twice the price of a normal fish and chip shop for half the size), but could have chosen curly fries or kumara chups. The decor of the shop itself is nothing to rave about, but we took our burgers down to the waterfront and enjoyed our meal with a stunning view. I wouldn't say they were the best burgers in the world, but definitely an option for a vegetarian or vegan in Raglan looking for something more filling than just fries. The Burger Shack also has coffee from Raglan Roast, which is second to none, although you'd be much better off going down the road to their shop (in Volcom Lane) to get your coffee direct - at $2.50 for a flat white (no extra for soy), the price is as good as the taste.

Organic Burger Shack
    35 Bow Street
    Raglan
    Ph: 8258117

Raglan Roast Coffee
    Volcom Lane
    1 Wainui Rd
    Raglan

If you're coming down from Auckland, you could turn off at Pokeno and then follow Pokeno Road on to Whangarata Rd, through Tuakau to River Road, across the river and all the way down twisty State Highway 22 to Te Uku. From there it's a short ride down '23 to Raglan. 155km from Queen Street to Bow Street Raglan, and quoted by GoogleMaps at about 2hours travel time.