bros 650 modding!

1. bogan
    bogan
    this group seems kinda low on activity, wheres all the kiwi back shed engineers at?

Anyhu, got a big list of mods for my bros, ones I have started on so far:
    linkless to linked rear suspension conversion, using a modified cbr600f4 shock.
    swap out front forks and triples for USD zxr400 ones.
    put mx bars on above triples.

and ones I plan to do later on:
    bixenon arclamp projector headlight, will hav to check legality in nz cos these things are fucking bright
    rear view cam and screen with dial redesign to fit it.
    relocate key and some switches to the top yoke or risers to tidy up the bars.
    straight through exhaust, unipods, stage 3 jetting kit.
    swap out indicators for some brighter led ones.
    tail tidy and fender eliminator.
    perhaps later on swap out the tank and tail, and seat, and rearsets.
    maybe anodise the frame, that would look epic
  2. Icemaestro
    Icemaestro
    Just bought a bros 650 - missing the front fairing, progressive springs, better braking and the race rear shock...I like the higher handlebars thogh, I've heard the firestorm fairing goes on pretty well? Any ideas? I don't do welding, though I have fitted/drilled chinese fairings before and made up various fixings for things, eg rear brakelight switches...
  3. bogan
    bogan
    Have been a few different fairings put on bros' and Hawk GTs (american version), sign up to www.hawkgtforum.com and you'll see more mods than you thought possible! That site is a wealth of information and parts.
  4. Grumph
    Grumph
    I used to do quite a bit with these motors a few years back. Porting, head work and cams. I built probably 8 of them for customers.

i hear one of the last I did may come up for sale shortly in ChCh.

If it does I'll report it here.

They're a funny motor. The best road one I did had 2 brothers pistons - 700cc - and big valves. My cams and pipe. NC30 front end and top fairing.
    Very very nice - rode and felt like an RC30 - but made twin noises....
  5. bogan
    bogan
    yeh let me know, probly couldn't afford it, but interested to see what it would go for anyway

yeh the twin pin with no center journal is a bit of a weird design, common consensus is they will start snapping cranks at around 90hp!
  6. Grumph
    Grumph
    The 650 I referred to went on trademe today - sorry I can't post a link....pig ignorant on computers.

By "a funny motor" I meant the false cylinder walls - this family of motors and the Cosworth Norton are the only cavity wall insulated motors I know of.
    When you remove the rubber plug to access one plug you're entering a cavity which runs from top to bottom of the barrel - and has no ventilation at all.
    The outer wall is only there to make the motor look symmetrical...

The 750 trail bike is the same family of motors as is the RS750 US dirt track motor....same crank layout and well over 100HP. But better materials of course.