General rally drivel

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. LBD
    LBD
    A place for chitchat and questions

Any one recall how long it took to ride in and out to the Cobb dam from the Takaka hwy and what the road was like?
  2. whatastoner
    whatastoner
    I overshot the turn off for the Cobb in 2010. Having too much fun with KoroJ over the hill. The description for that flyer suggested caution due to the narrow tight road, and oncoming 4WD. I'm riding the Passes on Friday night too. Taking in the 500pt Hakatere on the way down, so may be a little behind you guys
  3. Forklift Driver
    Forklift Driver
    LBD, I did the Flyer back in 2010. I can't remember how long it took to ride but the road was OK (no gravel). Through farm land flats first then just a bit narrow with bumpy asphalt in the river valley. The road edge was good to keep away from with a steep drop to the river. You could easily do 50 or 60 Kph in the narrow section.
    I plan to do this Flyer again after Patarau River.
  4. Forklift Driver
    Forklift Driver
    At the moment (because I might change my mind) I'm planning to do the Basic Route with the RED Flyer double up bonus. I'm going for the Gold level. Plan to ride north from Chch and do sort of a figure 8 course.
  5. LBD
    LBD
    Thanks for the Cobb road heads up...

Must have a look at this red flyer double up bonus deal...it may make more sense than what I have planed.

Patarau is actually a really nice place to visit....I had no idea when I went in there the first time. Do it during day light to appreciate it
  6. LBD
    LBD
    91 sleeps to go....
  7. whatastoner
    whatastoner
    You know it.
  8. whatastoner
    whatastoner
    Diamond Route.
    OK. So I've just done a rough calculation on my mapsource software for the Compass Point bonus including 78 photos.
    3435 kms.
    The breakdown is something like this :-
    Start to Tekapo 272
    Tekapo to Slope Point 508
    Slope Point to Hauroko 218
    Hauroko to Cape Farewell 1621
    Farewell to Fighting Bay 413
    Fighting Bay to Finish 403

What are your routes looking like?
    Regards
    Mark
  9. LBD
    LBD
    It depends, I have 2 routes, one wet and one dry.... the wet weather option route is about 3150 for diamond, collecting all the 100 pts. The dry weather option is a bit more but collects no 100 pts. Both use the compass pts.
  10. Forklift Driver
    Forklift Driver
    Mark,
    I think your current chosen route is really pushing the limits, I hope you can do it. 3435Km.
    I reckon the riding will take you 42.9 hours (@ 80Kph Ave). 72 photos = 144 minutes minimum. An estimated 300 Km per tank, thats 11 tank fulls = 110 minites. Totaled up equals 47.1 hours. That leaves 54 minutes for contingencies, taking a dump, bad weather, not to mention rest /shut eye etc.
    I think I read some where that Gremlin has found a 2800 Km Diamond route??

YMMV
    FD
  11. Gremlin
    Gremlin
    Been too busy with other rides and daily life after the initial planning frenzy. The route still needs final checking etc, but as it stands, 2814km (40 pics), but includes gravel, the big passes and Stewart Island. I think these guys are not including SI.

Edit: Actually, that's going to climb a bit. Queen Charlotte is shorter distance wise (30-40km from memory), but much safer/better to go around, so it's probably more like 2850km. I've also got a non SI route, stands at 3006km (53 pics). Whatastoner, my route sounds like the same clockwise direction... but I won't go into full details of the route, as it's part of the fun
  12. LBD
    LBD
    After last year when a few got Diamond and a few including Mark nearly got Diamond with over 3200km in about 38 hours....3435 is doable in 48 hrs

And....Don't let this go to your head Mark.... I have followed Mark a good few km the last couple of runs....he has a good smooth quick style....I for one would back him to complete 3435 no worries.
  13. whatastoner
    whatastoner
    Granted, 3435km is a long way in a short space of time, but I have a cunning plan.
    Two fuel tanks, a fully gimbled drinks holder with straw, specially imported NASA diapers, and copious quantities of caffeine, immodium and codeine. Oh and a get out of jail free card.......
  14. Forklift Driver
    Forklift Driver
    Mark, would one of these be of any help for you? http://www.stadiumpal.com/
  15. Gremlin
    Gremlin
    Haha Mark, as others said to me when I had a 10L fuel tank on the back of the KTM: "so when you crash we'll hear the boom and see the column of smoke".

I can do 500+km on a tank, and that's fully loaded and knocking along at a good clip. I've seen 750+km on a tank when riding economically.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast