A new Fan of the CJ750

1. Willis
    Hi Gents, I'm really interested in buying a CJ750 (or at least something similar) as a fun toy for the whole family. I really like the nostalgic look of the bike. I was wondering since there seems to be a few of you here in this group if you would mind passing on some of your knowledge on how to get one here in NZ and if need be who is best to deal with overseas to place orders.
    I've been scratching around the usual websites in NZ for bike sales and haven't seen any up for grabs lately, it would be great to maybe see one here in NZ before maybe risking all and ordering one from overseas.
    I've seen a couple of topics on things to look out for so will begin reading those with interest but the best info comes from those with expeience.
    One quick question you might be able to help with is, Do they come with the option of a 2 seater? or can 2 seat belts for 2 children be fitted, the reason I ask is I have 2 sons (4 yrs and 5 yrs) and if 1 couldn't ride while the other 1 did, I reckon I might have world war 3 on my hands.
    Cheers guys
  2. theo
    theo
    Hi Willis,
    Look at Trade Me Listing #: 503368088. This has been on offer for a montyh or two. To get it a VIN/Registered /Licenced in NZ you will need to get purchase papers etc from the guy who brought it in to the country. Otherwise straigt forward enough.

Some of the other members who feature in the site have brought thier bikes from oversease and can better advise you on costs etc.

A good trader from China, who seems pretty reliable and prompt is "Big Bill" try cj750net.gmail.com.

Seat belts, what are they? I guess you could bolt on some sort of attachments/harness. The car will take two small ones side by side.

Good luck,
    Theo
  3. theo
    theo
    Hi Again,
    Just keep the questions going on this as there are one or two guys who can give you much good advice and the bikes are basically fairly simple and straight forward? By the way what part of the country are you in?
    Cheers,
    Theo
  4. Willis
    Willis
    Hi Theo,
    Thanks for the reply and the tip on the bike for sale on trade me , I'm organizing when I might get an opportunity to head up to Auckland to have a look.
    I'm really keen to find out as much info on what it takes to import one from overseas as it sounds like they will customize the bike to your particular needs and tastes. i.e color schemes, an extra bucket seat in the side car.
    I've put together some questions below and hopefully you or some of the other members of the site can help out.
    Essentially The questions are all geared around the obvious, in that I don't want to import a bike I can't use here on NZ roads and would like to dodge any pit falls that may occur(hidden taxes, fees etc). I understand that there is an element of risk in bringing a bike in from overseas but If I can do my research hopefully it will all go smoothly, I have some friends who are also keen to buy a bike so maybe buying in bulk might make things a little bit cheaper.
    I live in New Plymouth and wouldn't mind if I had to travel to meet up with someone who has had experience importing a bike to get a bit more info.
    QUESTIONS:
    1) When buying a bike from overseas dealer what documentation do I need to ensure I have to allow registration in NZ?
    2) Are duties and taxes payable on the bike when imported? I've heard it depends on the age of the vehicle.
    3) Are there any forms and documents that need to be submitted before the bike arrives in country?
    4) A rough idea on total costs door to door to purchase a bike and sidecar?
    I'll definitely make contact with Big bill and see what info he can offer on importing the bike to NZ. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing what it might take to get one of these cool bikes.
  5. theo
    theo
    Hi Wills,

As Far as i am aware, Flip on this forum lives in Christchurch and cj750 [Murray] who lives near Whangarei have imported their bikes. Any bike shop dealer can give you the inside information about importing bikes if they are willing. The main requirement is receipts or statement from the seller that he is the legal owner and proof that you have legally bought the bike. You will not get a VIN from VTNZ unless they are convinced that it is not a stolen bike.

QUESTIONS:
    1) When buying a bike from overseas dealer what documentation do I need to ensure I have to allow registration in NZ?
    Answer: VTNZ will carry out a mechanical test and measure the brakes [basically a thorough WOF] before they give you a VIN.

2) Are duties and taxes payable on the bike when imported? I've heard it depends on the age of the vehicle.
    Answer: As long as the seller certifies that it is 40 years old [it can be reconditioned], then you can register as a classic/vintage bike [this is cheaper and WOF standards not so high as a new bike]. You will have to pay GST on the price of the bike plus freight costs, also customs duties and biosecurity check fees [and possibly cleaning fees if it id dirty].

3) Are there any forms and documents that need to be submitted before the bike arrives in country?
    Answer: Yes, those ownership stuff as mentioned freight consignment and costs papers [also check with Customs on this]who will get you to fill out a whole lot of other stuff as well.

4) A rough idea on total costs door to door to purchase a bike and sidecar?
    Answer: Those guys I mentioned above will give you a better idea, but at every stage of the process someone else wants to be paid for something and it all seems to add up to a bit more than you expect. I recently imported a Honda from Canada and have not had the courage to add it all up incase I talk in my sleep and the wife finds out. Neverthe less it was fairky straight forward, just a lot of buggering about. As well as paying freight charges after you purchase, you will be liable for wharf handling charges and depot charges when it arrives in NZ as well as freight and movement charges in NZ.

Good luck, I will follow your progress with some interest.

Cheers,
    Theo
  6. theo
    theo
    Hi Willis,
    A further P.S. I have cut and paste an entry from "CJ750" Murray from the KB Site. [I do not know how to do ity any other way]

Maybe that one on Trade Me would be a good buy.

Cheers,
    Theo

CJ750
    CJ750 is offline L-Plate Rider

Bike
    CJ 750 Sidecar

New or old???????????????

Although I have bought a CJ from a dealer in China doesnt mean that I dont still think that they are a bunch of lying cheating bunch of sons of bitches. I wasnt really looking for a 5 year 10000km warranty but I knew that if I had asked for it ,they would have said that it came standard along with AA roadside assist. Luckily for me I am an engineering tutor and have access to all the machinery and contacts to make replacement parts out of better materials and to better tolerances.
    In fact I could forgive anybody for wanting to bomb the slant eyed bastards.
    When the NZ dollar is good against the greenback you can get one like mine(have a look at my pics) for under $US5000. It cost me $US1100 to ship from the workshop to Auckland port. $NZ2200 to get it off the port and through all the customs bullshit and about $NZ400 to vin and register. So the bike in my pics landed here for a little over $NZ10k.
    If you dont have a lot of mechanical knowledge it can be a disadvantage for sure but there is some info available about fixing things that give trouble. I will help anybody bring one in and also help with repairs etc.
  7. Flip
    Flip
    Yep about 10k. Bill just gives you a certificate of origin which seems to satisfy the vin requirements. It also pays that the bike is older than 59.
    The kiwi bikes are usually good value for money.
    Murray and I have a lot of spare parts and are happy to help out other CJ owners.
  8. Flip
    Flip
    This looks like a bargin TM 506002423
  9. Flip
    Flip