Harley Customization

1. vader
    vader
    Hi all, i've been seriously thinking of buying a scrap Harley and doing her up over the winter into something i can be totally proud of
    The idea has been floating around for a while, i know what i want.... all i need now is some sound advice from someone who's been there before and can show me the ropes...
    My mechanical know-how is just barely passable, i don't own ANY tools, and i don't even have a place I can work on the bike..... HELP!!
  2. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    Project recepie

So you have started thinking about a project? Something that could keep you busy and give you the reasons not to do the washing, the house work or visit the rellies.

There is three ways of doing a project successfully (They all include one important ingredient: A bike!):

1. Give the bike to someone who knows what he/she is doing, tell them what you want done. One day soon you get a phone call that will tell you that the project is ready and also what the cost is. This is the most expensive option. But if you have no idea, have money and your life is busy, then it might be the best way.

2. Include someone you know that has the knowledge in the project and work together on it. Cheaper then #1 and gives you more satisfaction. You will also learn stuff and the chance of fuckups is much less then the next option:

3. Do it all your self.

I take that you are contemplating option #3. In that case you will need the following:
    - A bike as a project.
    - More money then you expected. But this is not all bad. As you are in charge you can take as long as you want.
    - A place to do the project. Planning to have it in boxes under the bed and pull them out, work on bits, and then shove them back will soon turn to crap. And telling nightly female visitors to watch so they do not step on the conrods or scrape their legs on the frame will give you a reputation as a player as you will need to find new ones all the time...
    - Tools. It does not matter how strong your grip is. It is not enough to tighten those nuts.
    - Someone who can tell you what to do next (and normally also inform you about the costly fuckups you have done...)
    - Time. Oodles of it.

Once you have all these ingrediences you are ready to get stuck in.
  3. popelli
    popelli
    your biggest problem is finding a scrap harley

flea bay makes it too aesy to break em up and sell them for parts
  4. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    There are a few ironhead sporty's around. You can grab one for $3-$5K and then buy bits and polish cases until your fingers bleed. But when you can get a running later model 883 for the same price... Any big block 1200 upwards are scarse. Sadly. Even for a 70's shovel in bits you are looking at $7K +. As shops do not take them as trade ins anymore, the option is to leave your details with your local Harley shop and tell them that when someone comes in with one give you a ring and you will be there in 5 with your credit card.
  5. claydog
    claydog
    a mate has just completed his first harley chopper, 30k later it was well worth it. did its maiden voyage a couple weeks ago doin the cold kiwi, with minor faults like not giving the tank a breather but all in all hes happy. as long as youve got your budget set( and willing to over it) go hard and good luck