From the corner of the workshop: a SR 250

1. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    She has patiently been sitting there for 2 - 3 years now. You know the ones: You did not plan to buy her, you had no need or use for her. And you did not really have any money spare to buy her either.

But the deal was too good to let pass, so you did get her. And then she ends up sitting there waiting for the day. Well, the day arrived. My oldest needs a 250 to get his full license (He had an exemption so he could ride his NV400 until 2 weeks after he was allowed to sit his full. But he did not pull finger in time. And now must do the license on a 250cc). And the SR is the one.

What tends to happen thou is that when these projects arrive you rip some of the bits off to have a look, and then you leave it there and don't put the bits back on. So this long w/e I spent time rekindling my memory re her. And from somewhere in the back of my dark memory bank I came up with:
    She needs: Sprockets, a chain, carbi cleaned up, seat re-upholstered, clutch and front brake leavers, tidy up/new tank, tank cap with working lock, some paint, mirrors, swing arm bushes, muffler, and I am sure there are more bits needed that I will come across.

But when I got her she was running, and motor was sweet. And that is always a bonus!

So I have started. Cleaned up the bits that I will use and have a list of stuff I need to find (some of it is in my "good to have" box. Just need to dig deep enough).

Will update as I get her closer to sorted. But she needs to be on the road inside two weeks, so there will be some midnight oil burnt in those lamps.

Oh yes, she needs a VIN, rego and WOF too...

2. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    OK, so I am closer to getting her back on the road.
    -Tidyed up rear shocks and decided on red springs.
    - Tidyed up swingarm and fitted new swingarm bushes and bolt/axle.
    - Got the clutch and front brake leavers. Will fit later.
    - Have taken seat in to get re-upholstered. Will get back this week.

Still need to find a rear sprocket. Might end up buying a new one $65... But I have managed to find the rest of the bits I needed.

Here how she was earlier today after a good clean. My plan is to get her to VTNZ by Friday. Lets see if I manage that.

3. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    Have today managed to source 2 x mirrors, sprocket, tank cap with 2 keys and a matching ignition lock (mine is OK, but saves having two different keys). All up $145 + postage. So we are almost there!

Did not need the mirrors (have some old ones). Did not need the tank cap or ignition (but will be much nicer with working stuff). But is that not always how these projects go? You don't want to do a crappy job, so you tend to make them to the standard you would like them to be if you were to keep them. Well, that is how I tend to work anyhow. It does add to the price thou. But then when someone rides away with her you can take some pride in it all.
  4. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    OK, so have spent some cold evenings in the garage. But will not have her completed by tomorrow. But this w/e she be ready, so the VIN and WOF has to be done on Monday. And REGO to. Should be able to get some decent pics of her on Sunday.

I am doing her up to sell, but there is no money in this stuff. Where the $$'s are is in wrecking and selling the bits. But that is sooo against my principles. Even when we are talking re a old Jappa 250. I rather spend time to make her go again.

Lets see what it all ends up costing:

Initial buy price. From memory: $400.
    Seat cover: $30
    Swing arm axle and bushes: $50 (from memory)
    Side covers: $30 (from memory)
    Clutch & Brake leavers: $35
    Mirrors: $20
    Sprocket: $25
    Ignition, keys and tank cap: $100.
    Freight: $20
    Seat upholstering: $50
    Paint: $50
    Muffler: $38
    Battery: $50
    Oil filter: $19
    Oil: $...
    Air filter: $32
    VIN: $...
    Rego: $...
    WOF: $...
    Odds: $50?

Total: $...

Whatever all this adds up to will be the minimum selling price.
  5. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    Getting close. Most bits are now back on. Was going to fit the chain, but realised that when I had fitted the swingarm I had got the wiring from the alternator on the wrong side, and if I left them there the chain would soon chew them. So that was when I gave up today (well, that was just after midnight). Too late to do a good job on something that you get pissed off with.

But apart from that I am happy with the rest. I have added some more red to her. Nice touch I recon. Will take pics tomorrow when she is completed and you be the judge.

Just need to drive in to town to get a battery. And the only other thing I need to do is to decide what I do re the tank. The old one has some dents in it. Will be OK to get WOF and VIN with. But not the look I want on her. I have another tank, but someone has painted it and so it needs a sanding and a new cote of red. Might be the way to go. If that is the case, then the side covers will also end up same red. Might be a nice look, as then she is black/red and silver all over. Hmmmmm....

(And I think that is one of the big reasons I do these resurrections, as clearly it is not for the money. I can create something and se it take shape and I give her that personal touch that makes her different. Now I am getting all soppy again, and over what? Luckily my oldest boy is not here, he would smack me in the head and say: "Dad! FFS, its just a crappy small bike, imagine if your old mates could see you now...")
  6. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    Great plans and all that. Had the day set aside to complete her. Then oldest son came around and needed some help with his bike. So 4 hours disappered just like that.

But managed to get her running. Never had the time to get a battery, so not able to have a blast round the block. Got most of the bits fitted and she is looking good.

Once I had the motor running she was running OK, but would backfire now and then, and took time to get down to idle. It was getting dark and I was getting tired. But it really annoyed me. Looked for air leaks or cracks in inlet etc. But nothing. As I was sitting there deciding to close the shop for the day I realised that I had not connected the vacuum hose to the fuel tap... so she was sucking in air through the small hose straight in to the inlet!

That was the sign to give up for the day.

So left to do:
    - Buy and fit battery - Done
    - Fit tank and fuel cap - Done
    - Fit new ignition lock so it uses same key as the fuel cap
    - Polish off old paint from one side cover so I get it the original red pearl - Done
    - Get indicators to work (relay I think) - Done
    - High/low beam selector dodgy. Need to take apart and fix - Done
    - Sort out some type of lid for toolbox
    - Repair of plate mounting under rear light
    - Fit mirrors - Done
    - Oil change - Done
    - Decide what to do re tank. The original one has two dents. Nothing major, but... I do have another one. But has been painted, so needs a re-painting, so I will give the spare one with the bike. - Will leave the tank as is. If new owner wants to sort then be my guest.
    - VIN
    - WOF (included in VIN)
    - Rego

And thats it.

Will try to complete all in a few evenings. Updates to follow.
  7. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    Apart from some minor tinkering she is completed. Still need to take her for VIN and get the Rego. But have spent approx an hour riding her today to see that all is sweet. And it is.

Also want to do some more polishing. One of the sidecovers still has some black paint that needs to be removed.

But yep, this project is almost done.

Now, what is next...

8. bogan
    bogan
    great level of commitement, worth doing, worth doing right! make sure to post some pics when you are done, hope you get a good price selling it.
  9. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    Have not got the VIN or Rego sorted yet. Also still need to fit some sort of lid on the little tool holder. And still need to fit the ignition lock that has same key as the tank lid. Also decided to get her a new airfilter as the old one was not the best. Will be here on Monday. Oh and need to repair the plate holder too.

Then she is ready for the VIN and Rego.

Just been informed that my son needs her for the Full License test on 20 May. So will be ready by then. And can't really sell her before then anyhow.
  10. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    Need to tell this: A few weekends ago when I was working away on her my 7yo son was sitting watching me. He did not say much, just watched. I was grabbing bits and fitting to the bike, and slowly she grew to what she is today. I then took a small paintbrush and some black paint and did some touch-ups on the frame. That was when his face lit up and his little brain came up with the answer. He said: "Now I know what you are, you take bits and make a bike out of them, then you paint it. You are an artist!"

So you can call me "The BikeArtist"!
  11. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    On the evening of 19'th I was focusing on this bike. I was completing all the bits needed. The plan was to take her in for the VIN at 8am on Wed 20/5, then let my oldest take her for the day and get his full license.

I was having problems with her not wanting to run clean in high revs. No matter what I did. So I decided to strip the carbi and clean out and refit in the morning. Got up at 6am and reassembled the carbi and fitted. But no change. And we were running out of time, so the decision was made to rent a bike from the local shop for $60 so he could get his full. And he did! So now the urgency with the SR is over. I paid for the rental and all are happy.

So I will leave her until a warm day (hate working on bikes in the cold when my fingers freeze) and try to figure out what is happening.

Will update when that day arrives.