Malt Whisky Appreciation Society

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Flatcap
    Flatcap
    Does Lagproaig actually prove the existence of a Benevolent Creator?
  2. Hitcher
    Hitcher
    Not as much as does Lagavulin 18.
  3. Flatcap
    Flatcap
    Yes, a fine Islay malt, just along the coast in fact.

A difficult comparison - It will require several tastings to confirm my opinion..

An interesting article on Islay here:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/7/...ectid=10513254

Good alternative to a tropical island getaway
  4. Flatcap
    Flatcap
    I am at this minute enjoying a Highland Park 12 year old from the Orkney Islands. In fact, the northernmost distillery in Scotland.

A definite taste of peat, but still with a full flavour - quaffable
  5. Hitcher
    Hitcher
    I don't rate Highland Park. It's sort of the "Toyota Corolla" of malts, competent but lacking personality. I think a Macallan is in order this evening.
  6. MisterD
    MisterD
    Ouch. That's not even faint praise...
  7. Hitcher
    Hitcher
    Don't misunderstand. There's no such thing as a bad single malt.
  8. Flatcap
    Flatcap
    Plus there is nothing wrong with a Toyota Corolla...however I would have said a Landrover Discovery - Useful and reliable but without the gravitas and shear punch of the Defender
  9. MisterD
    MisterD
    Well you inspired me to some further rationalisation of the stocks...that's the last of the Glenmorangie Port Wood gone.
  10. Hitcher
    Hitcher
    Glenmorangie port wood is divine. Their other woodies just don't have the same class. And I love it's unique sweet nose and that rose colour it has.
  11. Flatcap
    Flatcap
    Actually I couldn't find any of the wood finishes at DFS a couple of weeks back - hopefully not a permanent rationalisation of the product offering
  12. MisterD
    MisterD
    Well we know that Madeira Wood has gone - not enough barrels...sod's law, that was my favourite. I'm sure Port Wood is still alive - it's probably all going down the necks of the proliferating Chinese middle classes...
  13. Hitcher
    Hitcher
    Even bourbon or sherry wood, the oaks generally used by all whisky distillers, is hard to come by. That's why the major Scottish distilleries have taken to owning all of the barrels used by the bourbon and sherry industries, so that they can guarantee supplies and quality. Cunning folks, those Scots.
  14. Flatcap
    Flatcap
    Not cunning enough to see the boom in consumption from Inda and China. We are experiencing a "double whammy" of lowered supply (15 years of not putting whisky down to age) and vastly increased demand.

Stockpile now or prepare to pay more
  15. Hitcher
    Hitcher
    I have a "strategic" stockpile. Location only known to a privileged few...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast