Graphic and Associated tradesbikers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Sully60
    Hi all.

Having just got back into the trade (metal decoration) after a long time I'm keen to hear who else out there in KB land is in the industry, as the title says tell us what you do.

I run a line that makes monobloc aluminium aerosol cans, we start with aluminium slugs the diamteter of the can and between 5 and 10mm thick and end up with nice shiny decorated cans (like Brut and Imperial leather deodourant and shitload of differnt types of fake tan) ready to be filled and sent out to the shelf. It's a noisey, smelly and dirty process and I love it!
  2. Skunk
    Skunk
    I work for Colourcraft in Wellington.
    As our profile on our website says: "An independent company. We provide a complete range of services from digital data input, through file management/manipulation to final output stage - be that computer imaged film or plate, digital proof, or the production of documents, flyers, posters, banners and other point-of-purchase material.
    Our ability to work in partnership with our clients through the production process and consistently meet, or exceed, their expectations has led to long-standing relationships with many of Wellington's top graphic communications industry companies.
    Colourcraft's reputation for excellence has been recognised by more Gold and Supreme 'Pride in Print' awards than any other pre-press company in the country."

Blah, blah, blah.

Been working here for 13 years.
  3. Skunk
    Skunk
    Shit Sully... it's gotta echo in here...
  4. Sully60
    I don't know if there are any others yet, there's bound to be some isn't there?
  5. Skunk
    Skunk
    Riffer maybe,
    Big Dave
    GenesisMatrix
    BugJuice?
    must be others too.
  6. Sully60
    This is the latest nine colour version of one of the presses I run.

Ours are a tad older than this one and only run five colours. We can run at 70 cans per minute with the transfer system we use but the latest stuff like this can do 240.

This picture also shows the indexing head that holds the cans as they're printed.
  7. Skunk
    Skunk
    These are my tools:
    Cezanne scanner
    Intel Macs (2.8ghz - 8 cores)
    Platesetter (CTP) up to CD74F
    Digital printer - C6500
    Inca Spyda 320 inkjet (1.5 metres x 4 metres)

And various large format inkjets...
    Oh, and the web services I take care of.
  8. Sully60
    So who else do you work for apart from KR Dave?
  9. nallac
    nallac
    howdy all,
    I run a toshiba heatset ribbon press, pagination between 16-48pgs
    depending on reel size 800-1350 wide
    shes an old beast 1986
    I print your average run of the mail junkmail,
    food,propertys, trader mags ,bits of everything....
  10. Sully60
    Hi Nallac, thanks for joining up.

Please enlighten me about the heatset ribbon style of press. Obviously it's not a type of process I'm familiar with.
  11. spacemonkey
    spacemonkey
    Hey there new to KB, daves the name.

Been print industry for 19 years now and pretty much covered it all!
    tradecert screen printer (did that for 9 years printing plastic bottles), 7-8 years mac op's and prepress (ran several publications for fairfax in whangarei) and now 2.5 years in print finishing running the chain and folders here in welly as an adult apprentice.
  12. nallac
    nallac
    its a web offset press.
    think of a newspaper press and you'll be close,
    except most newspapers are done with cold set inks. eg NZ Herald
    we use heatset ink ,drys and sets thru an oven and chill rollers.
    print mainly on 52-57gsm lwc paper.
    4 print units,3 story high ribbon deck
  13. spacemonkey
    spacemonkey
    Hey Nallac, is that anything like the setup @ PMP in south Auckland? (was bumbling around there 2 weeks ago looking at the new Muller)
  14. nallac
    nallac
    Yip, but cleaner/tidier than them.
    We are part of the pmp group, (used to be times colour print).
  15. Skunk
    Skunk
    Hi Spacemonkey, who do you work for? I've been in the trade for 24 years now always in Wellington. Currently working for Colourcraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by nallac
    We are part of the pmp group, (used to be times colour print).
    We used to do a bit for them. Now it's just ads for one of the papers.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast