BMW R65 Streettracker.

1. Motu
    Motu
    I've been wanting to make a streettracker for many years....there is a project lying around,but it is years,or even forever away.Flattrack has been my favorite motorcycle sport forever - since I saw On Any sunday and read Petersons Motorcycle Sports Quarterly's as a 16 year old in 1970 (I still have them).

There was also the need to cut back to one road bike - one that was reliable,fixable,able to do a variety of jobs (gravel,tour,hoon the back roads,putter around town,pose at cafe's,commute),to be classic....and black,no less than 600cc,no more than 2 cyl,not to be scorned by my friends.A tall order - but the answer was already in the shed...my wife's R65.She was going to sell it as part of the clear out - but I had to ask permission,pay her top dollar,and promise to look after it and not to wreck it.

I didn't like it,it was horrible to ride,it turned me into a useless dangerous rider...I didn't think I could live with it,but I knew it had potential.First to go were the bars - I got some of Omar's http://www.omarsdtr.com/index.html Slideways bars,which were perfect,and gave me a seating and hand position almost the same as a dirt bike.The S fairing had to go too,and I put on a small Givi just to break the wind and make it comfortable up to 120kmh.Tyres were next,I really wanted dirt track Dunlop K180's,but had to settle for K70's....these were the flattrack tyre in the '60's and 70's,so close enough,and an excellent choice I was to discover.

The seat was the crucial component...a streettracker has to have a streetttracker seat.While discussing a seat with Omars,the world finances crashed - now a really expensive seat was totally out of reach.But I knew Dave at Eurospares had done streettracker seats with an XR750 mold...after a lot of effort I finally contacted him,and got him to do a seat for me.Most seats are made for an XS650,and can be adapted to most bikes - but the BMW has wider seat rails,it would have to be widened.No problem,Dave has a BMW in his shop,and made it to fit the BMW.It took some months,but I was patient.I though I was going to get an unfinished seat - but when I unwrapped it I saw it was totally finished.Painted black,pinstripped,BMW roundel,tail light,beautiful upholstery,and just a bolt on job....I am very impressed with his work.2nd custom seat in my life.

So here are the phases of it's life....I'll get some better photos later.

2. Conquiztador
    Conquiztador
    Thanks for this inspiration! It all starts with a vision. Then you work backwards and sort out the steps.

By doing what you have done it has made a desirable bike out of something that was made for granparents (oops... better watch what I say here..). Now she looks like something I would like to have a go on to feel how she handles going sideways in a corner on a dirtroad!

I like the seat and tailpiece! What is something like that worth?
  3. Motu
    Motu
    You are welcome to take it for a ride....I'd like some feedback,as I feel I am talking to deaf ears....give you something to look forward to on the way up.I don't think the ADV bike crowd can grasp that a bike like this is better on a gravel road than their bikes.I've been riding gravel for near 4 decades,and on nearly as many bikes,I think I have the credentials to say this is one of the best I've had for the job.

The seat was $450 to my door....and a true bolt on.Most important I didn't have to cut the rear hoop,which would mean an extra subframe for each seat.The seats from Omar are US$325 or so,some more.So even pre financial crisis,it is a good price.I'll get some better photos soon (my camera is broken,I have to borrow my wife's) so you can see the seat better.

Now I truely have two bikes in one - a cut down streettracker.....and after 30mins in the shed,a touring bike with good guards and a pillion seat.
  4. Motu
    Motu
    Some better shots of the bike,and seat.

5. Motu
    Motu
    I made a 2 into 1 and fitted an IDSII Supertrapp....a bit rough,but a big improvement in sound and performance.