78 progress on bluely

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Bert
    Bert
    ringingring all going, but funny knocking sound has returned.

I think i have stretched the crank again, will add spacers to lisft up the Barrell or more clearance.

Added new 29mm carb and RM80 electrics that I found in the dark areas of the shed (didn't know it had them).....

Today, cut up the chamber up and now chasing holes....
  2. Mudflaps
    Mudflaps
    He He...chasing holes! I thought my shed was sweet but yours is obviously that little bit better!!
  3. Bert
    Bert
    Chamber all welded up yahooo (though more work to do to make it strong). what a c^nt of a job.
  4. Bert
    Bert
    what are you doing up at midnight... your to old for that
  5. Bert
    Bert
    f##K it....... what a f##ken mess...... f##K it f##K it f##Ken buckets.
    all the good work for nothing. new list of f##Ked bits:
    1. big end f##Ked
    2. small end f##Ked
    3. piston f##Ked.
    4. Barrel almost f##Ked
    5. Head has a hole in it.. f##Ked
    5. clutch rooted even more than normal.

time for a re-think about engine choice.
    We might be down on sunday with cargill bike, I'll let you guys know later int the week.

I'll post photos soon.
  6. Mudflaps
    Mudflaps
    Oh bro that sucks!! I'm not sure if I'm going to be ready. Not much shed time happening at the mo. I'm trying to get the lounge finished and all my helpers come after work. I'll see how much we get done on fri night cause then I have all day sat to put it all together.

I'll give you a ring tomorrow night
  7. Bert
    Bert
    Good Weekend in the Shed. should have bee studing but WTF....
    stipped at motor apart, drop off some of the bits last week to get fixed.
    1. Barrel and piston
    2. new crank (not to happy about this one, it got copper bearing cages) o'well we will see how long it lasts.

but i made some progress on my new rear wheel. post photos later
  8. Bert
    Bert
    PROGRESS, JESS LET ME OUT TO THE SHED LAST NIGHT.
    Rear wheel finished, need more bolts but close enough to claim "finished status"
    dropped off crank today. to a old bucket racer... he said you got to be f#cken joking that buckets are making a come back then I showed photos and nearly feel off his chair.
    slowly coming together.
  9. Mudflaps
    Mudflaps
    Awesome bro. Good to hear!
  10. Bert
    Bert
    PROGRESS...
    well had a couple of annual leave days to make a long weekend.

1. The barrel and piston (new piston required grrr more $$$) are back, cleaned up the ports, and a little tweaking to to intake ports at the same time.

2. got my C4 main bearings from SKF ($$$ should be gold plated, but the last set is now 16 years old; so worth the investment)...

3. dug out an old clutch it actually looks alright. so a small saving.

4. seem I have the cases apart: ive matched up the transfer port aliment and drilled some extra oil feeds between clutch and gear box; hopefully this will move the oil around more. I'm going to expoxy up the waste areas to reduce oil sitting in hollows not actually doing anything.

5. Retro fitted a gsxr400 manifold which fits the carb nicely in place and seals up nicely (no more potential intake leaks)...

6. made a new dual reed for my reed value (solid carbon with light weight metal reed on top, 1/2 the flex). snaps shut like a MX reed block.

7. and cleaned up my shed a bit. it a f##ken mess.

not sure quite what I'm going to do tomorrow.

need to finish Air Box mould for Cargill.
    replace fork seal and sort out dampening in both forks.

the simple rebuild has taken a sideways step; more effort is going in this time to get the girl ready for taupo; getting around to all those silly little things that I've never got sorted out correctly in the past.
    But the budget is taking a hammering. O'well no beer for bert.
  11. Bert
    Bert
    great its the weekend again... should have the girl finished this weekend. going back to the original Carb until i can get some Dyno time with Pete to sort out the new downdraft. Have been looking into how the motor mounts up. We might look at changing this to a more vertical setup to increase airflow, but it would require alot more work... grrr..

Dave made those spacers I'll post them down on monday.
  12. Bert
    Bert
    right we are all go, second time around. forgot the spacer under the barrel, the little tinktinktink was slight worrying but a dead give away of piston making love to the head; dumb ass. .

last bits to do:
    1. Need to set-up the new carb
    2. Resolve the timing (though its not to far off, revs out ok).
    3. bolt the tank down
    4. inflate the new rear tyre.
    5. and most importantly hope it stays together long enough to have some fun.

love the smell of caster oil....

think i can have a beer in the sun now!!!
  13. Bert
    Bert
    wsell my rear wheel was a f##Kup and cost me a finish in the NZGP... broke 3 of the 5 studs holding the rear sprocket. chucking the chain and locking up the rear wheel hello kitty litter.....

only 363 days until the next NZGP plenty of time to sort things out.
  14. Bert
    Bert
    Well it 2010 and the team is slowly getting their sit together.....

as it is normal to start every bucket racing year off with development and fine tuning, so i started on new years day....

Thus far:
    fixed the rear wheel with larger stronger bolts and locater pins to deal with the mighty power output of the TF...

removed the head and barrel to check for all those normal signs of poor running in (as really i didn't do a good job this time)

opps, stuffed two head studs in the process.. so new ones on there way (typical as they are custom make ones, so new custom made are needed).....

remounted carb agqain (right back to the original configuration) to try are resolve the low bogging (not enough air at closed).

two magic new chambers have been constructed to newly calculated porting parameters (one wild and one mild) so they are getting welded up at the moment.

still thinking about the water cooling and read block ideas at the moment.. i still want to keep tuning the tf as the rest of may gain some future benefit--- if you don't go to the dark side (which of course would mean you are no longer RAG racers)...

and last and most importantly we are on a weight loss plan... me and the bike....
  15. Bert
    Bert
    Manfield only a week away.

New head studs are in, race head has been put back on bring the compression up to around 13:1 rather than the poultry 9.5:1... back having some horse power again. no way am i going to have CJ keeping up with me (even though he is at lease 30kg lighter).....

put back on my old carb mounting, now that things are running better (well at lease at Taupo). this should let it breath better again through the bottom end; hopefully resolving the bogging issues that I've been faced with at the end of 2009.

I can't wait to see if it can keep up with Richard's hotted fxr150; he had the legs last testing session. but there were a few compromises made before hand (as i was running in the motor) .

Got my new Fairings mounted (only for big tracks as they look to flash for kart tracks) photos soon. did spend the day trying to make a screen only to break it at the last drill hope..... grrrr. try again tomorrow.

What everyone else been up to ????

down to 96kgs (was 98 at last post) not a very successful start... but at lease a start.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast