Gizzy or Bust

1. H00dz
    H00dz
    Hi all, just got back from
    gizzy on my first road trip with the lil lady.

Now I know that doesnt sound like a biggy, but for me it was an awesome exprience.

My fat jack didnt miss a beat which was incredible, given the load it was ask to carry.

Anyways the trip consisted of Matauri Bay to Auckland. Auckland to Opotiki and of course through to Gizzy and the back.

Wasnt able to go the coast thru Te Araroa due to bad weather but looking to go back and give it a crack.

I was truly impressed by the fj's ability to carry such a heavy load. (quietly I'm half expecting it to shit itself) Load was in easily excess of 200kgs passenger clothing, me etc...

what are your experiences..... of the loads your've carried
  2. FJRider
    FJRider
    I regularly travel with both panniers full, plus pack-rack full... and tank bag on to. To rallies and touring the mainland (the southern Isle). The odd time with a pillion and extra gear stashed (bungied) on as well. Apart from sitting a little lower (judder bars... ugh), I've had no issues with the FJ at all. No decrease in accelerating ability... overtaking not a problem, nor any noticeable decrease in performance all round. The tight twisties in the west coast of the south island were a little more tricky due to low speed (read first/second gear corners), with the extra weight.
    Fuel consumption never changed though. Any extra care in travel usually means better fuel figures.
    I'm glad others are finding the benefits of touring on the FJ.
  3. martybabe
    martybabe
    The longest and heaviest I ever did was from the UK via ferry to the south of France and back. The bride, two 50l panniers,50l top box and tank panniers to keep the weight down low. Just under 2 thousand miles and cruising at up to 170k in France.

High Mountain passes, countryside, coastal , motorway, never missed a beat!

I did have one scary three point turn though, that's a lot of weight to hold up one one leg