Thread: Cheap reliable bike for a short touring holiday

Bike
    NC30s

Cheap reliable bike for a short touring holiday

Hello good people of KB,

I'm going to be back in NZ for a few weeks from mid January and I'm planning to do a bit of a bike tour with some friends. After looking at the rental prices for bikes in NZ, I thought I may as well just buy something cheap as it would work out costing me less overall, and I could leave it in a friends garage to use whenever I'm in NZ.

I am hoping to spend $1500 to $2000, but could go a little higher depending on the bike.
    With a limited budget, I am very open to options. Could be anything from a well loved Bandit 1200 to an old sad looking Hyosung GT250.

I'd be looking at hopefully collecting the bike the weekend of the 19th/20th of January.

If you've got something hiding away in the shed that needs a home, let me know!

Bike
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    I don't think "cheap" and "reliable " should be used in the same sentence.

Benny

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerBenny View Post

Benny
    Has your R1200 GS had a fuel pump relay failure & dumped you in the middle of nowhere yet? Or needed a new ABS pump?
    Oh. . . Have you done the recall on the rear hub?

Bike
    Sold
    If you don't find an outright purchase that suits (potential resale problem?), you might like to compare the prices of this hire company compared with the bigger players: https://www.roundthebendrides.com/ . He has 2 Yamaha Tracers. The guy who runs it is Waikato-based and is a personal friend. Absolutely straight up and down guy.

Bike
    NC30s
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerBenny View Post

Benny
    Less things to go wrong on cheap old bikes (and easier to fix when they do)

Bike
    vfr400 NC30, SRX600 project
    I have an NC30 with pack rack, 34000km or so. was wanting more 3-3.5 though given the bits on it such as ohlins shock, rick oliver fork upgrade and road jets, HRC exhaust

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Hey vinzor

i know of a 1997 xj900 diversion sitting in remuera atm for sale, guy will take just under 3k with a new wof and reg on hold
    its got factory yamaha panniers plus a big top box and a sheepy for the seat. i was looking at buying it over the last few weeks but opted for something
    else. im not sure if its back on trademe yet but i have the owners ph number (hes down south holidaying atm)
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    NC30s
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    Hey vinzor

i know of a 1997 xj900 diversion sitting in remuera atm for sale, guy will take just under 3k with a new wof and reg on hold
    its got factory yamaha panniers plus a big top box and a sheepy for the seat. i was looking at buying it over the last few weeks but opted for something
    else. im not sure if its back on trademe yet but i have the owners ph number (hes down south holidaying atm)

Hey thanks for the tip, sounds like it'd be perfect for a touring holiday, but might be a little bit more than what I'm wanting to spend. Will keep it in mind though, and see what the finances look like closer to the time.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinz0r View Post
    Hey thanks for the tip, sounds like it'd be perfect for a touring holiday, but might be a little bit more than what I'm wanting to spend. Will keep it in mind though, and see what the finances look like closer to the time.
    good as gold mate
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    NC30s
    Ended up going for a well sorted NC30, thanks for the advice and offers everyone!

Thread Information