Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New kid on the block with some questions. (KerrA)

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSX250

New kid on the block with some questions. (KerrA)

Hey guys,

Untill yesterday I was completely new to bikeing apart from my BHs course, Took my gsx 250 out onto the road and had a blast ( stalled a few times but meh) I dont think the smile will be off my face ever. Thanks also to TSS Red Baron for the sweet setup of gear.

now..

When is a good time to hit a motorway? All im having trouble with is my takeoffs SOMETIMES cause sometimes they are perfect sometimes they are shite...

Im also having trouble with my right foot and where its placed, cause of the heavy boots its accidently going down on the break, Any suggestions?

Thirdy I noticed I felt uncomfortable with my gear on at first cause it felt like I had very little movement or something, Will I just used to this?

Any help is good

Cheers guys, Ride safe!

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Hey KerrA, You need to make sure you have comfortable gear before you ride. The boots are pretty important for gear change and rear braking. If you can't control the back brake precisely you will be putting yourself in danger. Remember that the back brake is only to assist the front brake and also for low speed control. If you practice riding slowly using the back brake to control your speed and balance, then you will soon get the hand of it. Feet on the pegs only when not changing gear or stopping.

WARNING: If you try stopping quickly with the back brake when a speed (without using the front brake too) - you will come off.

Motorway riding is by far the easiest kind of riding as your stability is a lot easier to manage. However before you have a go on the motorway, do make sure that you are happy with how to move your weight over the bike to help you lean and turn. I have seen newbees who have ended up on the grass because they have had trouble with staying in lane on bends. You need to feel comfortable as, whilst the motorway turns are very long and slight, you still need to make sure that you are able to make them.

Always look ahead of yourself and where you want to be going. Don't look at the road or at your front wheel. If you can get a more experienced rider to go out with you, try following their lines and don't forget to keep a safe distance behind.

Good luck.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    If you can't stop from 50km/h to 0 in the width of a few car parks you're not ready to be flying along at 100km/h.

Also if you don't understand and actively use countersteering you will find it rather difficult to turn at high speed. I think that's what YellowDog was really trying to get at.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Get in contact with a Mentor near you.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=794

Bike
    . .
    Hi KerrA and welcome.

Hit the motorway any time. Nothing is easier than riding in a straight line in top gear.

Stick you toe out a little but better still adjust the rear brake pedal height to suit.

You will get used to your gear.

Ride and brake smoothly while always being aware of your position on the road and those around you. Constantly scan around with ya eyes and remember you have no right of way so keep sharp even when you have a green light as someone else can take that right away in a heartbeat. Leave the speed for well out of town and you'll probably keep your license. Don't show off..... especially if there is a video camera around.

Bike
    better than yours
    just practise emergency braking somewhere safe. Rear wheel skids are fun slam that sucker on, it wont make you fall if you are relaxed. The front brake is the dangerous one make sure to use that one carefully. The rear one not so much
    If your gear fits correctly you will get used to it. Trust us "All the gear all the time" A.T.G.A.T.T is a great saying to live by. Even if it is uncomfortable hot sweaty smelly uncool uncomfortable. WEAR IT!

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    Nothing is easier than riding in a straight line in top gear.
    Until all the cars in front slam on their brakes for no apparent reason....

+1 for find a mentor in your area.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    If you can't stop from 50km/h to 0 in the width of a few car parks you're not ready to be flying along at 100km/h.

Also if you don't understand and actively use countersteering you will find it rather difficult to turn at high speed. I think that's what YellowDog was really trying to get at.
    Yes Discotex, you are correct however when I was a newbee I struggled with the concept of counter steering.

I realised that I must have been doing it by the fact that I could smoothly overcome twisty bends at speed. When I started to think about what I was actually doing in relation to countersteering, I couldn't get my head around it and my riding would go to pot.

The easiest way for me to make it happen was simply to look to where I wanted the bike to go and the rest of it seemed to happen automatically.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Yes Discotex, you are correct however when I was a newbee I struggled with the concept of counter steering.

I realised that I must have been doing it by the fact that I could smoothly overcome twisty bends at speed. When I started to think about what I was actually doing in relation to countersteering, I couldn't get my head around it and my riding would go to pot.

The easiest way for me to make it happen was simply to look to where I wanted the bike to go and the rest of it seemed to happen automatically.
    Totally understand.. I think there's a window of opportunity to actively learn to do it. Once you're already doing it automatically most people seem to have your reaction when they try to analyse it.

If you're introduced to the concept when you first start riding I think it's easier to grasp as you have no preconceptions or previous experiance to overcome.

This is the best vid I ever found that explains countersteering practically for newbies:

http://www.livevideo.com/video/RideY...tersteeri.aspx

Bike
    RMZ 450, F4RGVGP125
    Welcome KerrA

Practice your take off in a car park or drive way. Stop start, stop start.

As for the break thing I would sugest pulling your foot back so the ball of your foot is on the peg and not the arch of your foot.

Hit the motor way at any time you like just ride at a speed you feel good at. and keep your witts about you and your surroundings.

Have fun mate see you on the road some time.

PM Deano he is a local mentor and will be more than happy to help as he is a very top bloke with a whole heap of knowlege.
    Member #3164 of the SHITMARK haters club.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSX250
    Thanks all, good advice and will definately take it onboard. Will have a look at this mentor thing.

Oh one last question, what is the best security for a bike? and where to get a disk lock that fits the back disk?

Cheers.

Bike
    2006 HD FXDC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    Totally understand.. I think there's a window of opportunity to actively learn to do it. Once you're already doing it automatically most people seem to have your reaction when they try to analyse it.

If you're introduced to the concept when you first start riding I think it's easier to grasp as you have no preconceptions or previous experiance to overcome.

This is the best vid I ever found that explains countersteering practically for newbies:

http://www.livevideo.com/video/RideY...tersteeri.aspx
    Just watched this video. Very interesting. I have been riding for years and have never heard of countersteering. I was always taught you don't steer, you lean i.e. use your weight. Have always ridden Harleys. Is this more a sportsbike thing?? or have I just been doing it wrong all this time?? Advice appreciated please.

Bike
    Hey rosie631, I watched the video too (thanks Discotex) and it is what I have always done. Quite lucky really!

To ride your HD I am sure that you also countersteer and just don't realise you are doing it. As someone has already said on this thread, "you don't steer to turn, you lean." well in order to lean, you need to countersteer. It is what sets the leaning angle.

The only time you notice you are doing it (which is less common on an HD) is when you are taking sharp twisty bends at speed and you need to be rapidly changing from side to side.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    2006 HD FXDC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Hey rosie631, I watched the video too (thanks Discotex) and it is what I have always done. Quite lucky really!

To ride your HD I am sure that you also countersteer and just don't realise you are doing it. As someone has already said on this thread, "you don't steer to turn, you lean." well in order to lean, you need to countersteer. It is what sets the leaning angle.

The only time you notice you are doing it (which is less common on an HD) is when you are taking sharp twisty bends at speed and you need to be rapidly changing from side to side.
    Hmmm, must be a subconscious thing. Will take note next time I'm out on the bike.

Bike
    big minton
    Welcome to KB!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 325rocket View Post
    Isn't it a rectum stretching pain in the ring piece when the mrs wants to slip in a digit and wont use lube
    Quote Originally Posted by gatch View Post
    I don't need pills to make me blow massive loads
    Cold Kiwi

Everyone loves duck sauce, is the amazing or is this amazing?!

Thread Information