Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New kid on the block with some questions. (KerrA)

Bike
    FJR 1300
    Hi KerrA, welcome to KB, I carry a cable type lock on my bike its long enough to wrap around a solid object, ie lamp post, street sighn, park bench, and lock back through my bike. See you out on the road.

Bike
    Ducati 900ss The Guido Torpedo
    Welcome to the madhouse. Your gear may feel a little stiff until you break it in but the all the gear all the time mantra is a good one. Your foot and the rear brake is a bit of a worry, maybe you need to try a different foot position. A mentor is a great idea and riding with another person (preferably a well experienced rider) will show you some concepts that you'll need. Also search some of Buckbucks threads cause he has a brilliant rather technical take on learning to ride and is writing is very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrA View Post
    Thanks all, good advice and will definately take it onboard. Will have a look at this mentor thing.

Oh one last question, what is the best security for a bike? and where to get a disk lock that fits the back disk?

Cheers.
    Why the back wheel? Its harder to see therefore remember you have applied it. Alarmed disk lock is a good way to go or a good cable lock if you have something to fix your bike to. A second more discrete kill switch is also a good idea.

See you out there and remember rubber side down!
    Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire. -Samuel Johnson

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSX250
    The Reason why I say back disk is because the sales guy at TSS said if you put it on the back disk it takes an extra person to pinch your bike unless they can lift the back by them selves.

Bike
    2006 HD FXDC
    Blog Entries
    The Reason why I say back disk is because the sales guy at TSS said if you put it on the back disk it takes an extra person to pinch your bike unless they can lift the back by them selves.
    I use a D lock through the rear wheel for that reason. Although is true that it's easier to forget it's on. Tried to take off once with it in place. Won't do that again.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Oh one last question, what is the best security for a bike? and where to get a disk lock that fits the back disk?
    I personally giggle quietly to myself whenever I park up next to an old 250 that's secured like fort knox and I just use my steering lock.

Seriously, insurance is your main protection against theft. Anything else is window dressing and will be overpowered by anyone who really wants your bike. The one exception would be if you leave your bike on the street at night. A disk lock with an alarm might stop people playing around on your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie631 View Post
    Just watched this video. Very interesting. I have been riding for years and have never heard of countersteering. I was always taught you don't steer, you lean i.e. use your weight. Have always ridden Harleys. Is this more a sportsbike thing?? or have I just been doing it wrong all this time?? Advice appreciated please.
    No you're doing it right (or you'd never get around a tight corner) and just never noticed that's how it actually works. Once you're concious of it you'll probably find you can flick the bike side to side much easier as it's like you're wired to the wheels.

Bike
    Gixxer
    Just be smoooooooth and keep your eyes up and looking where you want to go. As what others have already said just practise in a car park or driveway untill you feel ready to venture out.
    AND.... Dont believe everything you read on the internet.
    Good luck and enjoy
    Motorcycing is not a hobby, It is a way of life!

Missed forever! NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
    LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Friends dont let friends ride Hyosungs

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Blog Entries
    Hey guys,

Untill yesterday I was completely new to bikeing apart from my BHs course, Took my gsx 250 out onto the road and had a blast ( stalled a few times but meh) I dont think the smile will be off my face ever. Thanks also to TSS Red Baron for the sweet setup of gear.

now..

When is a good time to hit a motorway? All im having trouble with is my takeoffs SOMETIMES cause sometimes they are perfect sometimes they are shite...

Im also having trouble with my right foot and where its placed, cause of the heavy boots its accidently going down on the break, Any suggestions?

Thirdy I noticed I felt uncomfortable with my gear on at first cause it felt like I had very little movement or something, Will I just used to this?

Any help is good

Cheers guys, Ride safe!
    Hi KerrA welcome to the site. Good to hear you realise that you will need help. I used Roadsafe / Andrew Templeton. He runs a re Motor Cycle school with courses for various different types of riders, new, returning or advanced. You can find him on saturday mornings on the WelTech Petone carpark across the road from the Petone Working Mans Club. Ride safe and have fun.
    Ride Safe . . . . SixftFive

Bike
    FZR 400
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Hey rosie631, I watched the video too (thanks Discotex) and it is what I have always done. Quite lucky really!

To ride your HD I am sure that you also countersteer and just don't realise you are doing it. As someone has already said on this thread, "you don't steer to turn, you lean." well in order to lean, you need to countersteer. It is what sets the leaning angle.

The only time you notice you are doing it (which is less common on an HD) is when you are taking sharp twisty bends at speed and you need to be rapidly changing from side to side.
    im waiting for his tutorials on "dying on a horse turd" and map reading

edit: was surprised by the vid, so tried it on the way home this morning, realised yeah I do counter steer in a sweeping corner but not in tighter ones (just tend to lean into them(and you cant convince me that you cant lean without counter steering),serrious question though, why do people say its safer to counter steer?
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Some Kiwibiker threads contain such a wealth of fuckwittery that they should in some way be permanently removed from the digital domain, carved onto stone tablets and then launched into space to scare the living shit out of any hostile alien species that may be lurking nearby

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxi View Post
    im waiting for his tutorials on "dying on a horse turd" and map reading

edit: was surprised by the vid, so tried it on the way home this morning, realised yeah I do counter steer in a sweeping corner but not in tighter ones (just tend to lean into them(and you cant convince me that you cant lean without counter steering),serrious question though, why do people say its safer to counter steer?
    I didn't know I was counter steering, but I did know I was swinging out before tight corners (counter steering).

Bike
    FZR 400
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    I didn't know I was counter steering, but I did know I was swinging out before tight corners (counter steering).
    yeah, my bad! I noticed that today, say you're taking a left hander, I slightly move right 1st, is very subtle and I think my mind tells me im doing it to take a wider line, but that movement is what puts you into the lean to start with
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Some Kiwibiker threads contain such a wealth of fuckwittery that they should in some way be permanently removed from the digital domain, carved onto stone tablets and then launched into space to scare the living shit out of any hostile alien species that may be lurking nearby

Thread Information