Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok, What bike to learn on?

The only bad thing about the hornet 250 is the price, but you get what you pay for. Brilliant bikes, best 250 4 stroke probably
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    If you were asking for alternative opinions, I'd be pointing you towards a VTR250. They are very forgiving for a learner, low seat height, comfortable semi-sporty ride position and being a v-twin with all the torque of a single but extra HP, they are fast/powerful enough that they do not become boring.
    +1

great bike to learn on...

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Personally I'd avoid the CBF and GN. Under powered, terrible handling, vibrate like hell and most of all hate the motorways.

I'd go with the VTR/Comet or Hornet/Bandit or Ninja 250/GT250R options depending on which feels more comfortable and whether she wants fairings.

Bike
    GSX1100
    Get a hyabusa with a turbo man!!!!!!

Bike
    05 CBR 1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSin View Post
    As a lady learner I really like my Yamaha Scorpio
    I hired one of these for my license. easy easy easy bike to ride but underpowered compared to any other 250 I had ridden previously. Struggles to get to 110km and prob has a max flat line speed of 120...

Its only a 250. whatever is comfortable. no 250 is too much power.

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeslapper109 View Post
    I hired one of these for my license. easy easy easy bike to ride but underpowered compared to any other 250 I had ridden previously. Struggles to get to 110km and prob has a max flat line speed of 120...

130 easily

Bike
    05 CBR 1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by vindy500 View Post
    130 easily
    Na not the one i rode. was 2008 from red baron and only did about 120 on flat land

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s

I thought the Scorpio was only a 225cc

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R
    Na not the one i rode. was 2008 from red baron and only did about 120 on flat land
    strange, the girlfriends 07 easily gets to 130 and felt like it had more in it, maybe you weigh more than 60kg

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    If you were asking for alternative opinions, I'd be pointing you towards a VTR250. They are very forgiving for a learner, low seat height, comfortable semi-sporty ride position and being a v-twin with all the torque of a single but extra HP, they are fast/powerful enough that they do not become boring.
    +2. My partner an I learned to ride on the VTR250. We still have it. Being a twin it is far more forgiving of being in the wrong gear if you need to pull away. The Hornet is a nice bike though with a bit more top end power.

Neither will be dangerous, unless you are hamfisted which men tend to be more than women.

If she likes the Hornet - get her to sit on one more bike as a comparison (easy to like the first bike you sit on without too many comparisons).

As DukeGirl said - the most important thing is she feels comfortable on it. That is the beginning of confidence.

PS: It's great she wants to ride too... I enjoy going out for rides, but nothing compares to riding with your partner on her bike. (maybe a track day though.... )
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Suzuki SV650 S
    From what i've seen there's not much advice on this thread being given about the options you are exploring , ie the CBF or GN or Hornet. Just alot of crap saying get this other bike etc etc.....

I have experience of both the GN and CBF

I did my learners on a GN and found it a good little bike to totter around on but didn't like it at speed on the motorway. After getting my learners I decided to get a CBF 250.

Why - well it's a Honda and in terms of reliability and build quality it's streaks ahead of the GN and also the Scorpio and Hyosung. I have had mine for a year and done 13000Km's of absolute trouble free commuting. It sits nicely at 100k/hr on the motorway and is great for pottering around town. You can pick up a year old model for 4K to 4.5K with a year still on the Honda warranty.

I recommend it wholeheartdly from someone who had been using one for a year now.....

Thread Information