View Poll Results: Do you agree with a ban on using cellphones while driving?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ban it!

83 80.58%
  • No, don't ban it, but make it a aggravating factor if it contributes to an accident.

18 17.48%
  • Don't know...

2 1.94%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cellphone ban in cars likely this year - NZ Herald

Bike
    Noire
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Compounded if you happen to be a female. Have you noticed how many of the fairer sex need to look at each other when talking and driving?

**Sits back and waits for the flak**

O dear, you had to take it "there"...Cheeky Toad

I'm not going to give you flak, but gently point your eyes to the....Male vs Female "diverted attention" crash stats.here
    ter·ra in·cog·ni·ta
    Achievement is not always success while reputed failure often is. It is honest endeavor, persistent effort to do the best possible under any and all circumstances.
    Orison Swett Marden

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Talking to a passenger is just as dangerous as talking on a cellphone. Again, that is "proven" as well, depending on whose study you read.

If you ban cellphones, you have to ban passengers.
    I don't believe you. Please cite a reference that shows talking to passengers is just as dangerous as talking on cell phones and drink driving.

Bike
    94 Suzuki RF900
    I think you should be penalised if you use a cellphone whilst operating any motor vehicle. I am as guilty as the next person of yabbering away and texting whilst driving on occasion, and although I try to confine this to when im stopped at traffic lights etc it's still bloody dangerous and a major hazard for all road users.

Banning cellphones outright is not sensible, but advertising and possibly subsidising in-car kits for those who need it (sales reps etc) should be a possibility.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Talking to a passenger is just as dangerous as talking on a cellphone. Again, that is "proven" as well, depending on whose study you read.

Bullshit.

A passenger (mostly) will start screaming if they think you're about to plough into something if you're not paying attention.

A cell-phone will not.

And txting is even worse - hell d'ya realise with the literacy levels of some of todays yoof that their eyes would be off the road for like, ten minutes to read a txt?
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Sales of hands-free kits will increase.
    Problems with a hands-free kits are that they cost to install and then usually have to be replaced when the phone is.

Much easier to invest in a GPS with bluetooth function which can double as a HF kit including displaying texts, and so much more..... Just requires a Bluetooth enabled cellphone.

Bike
    '03 FXD
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend-it View Post
    "Ban women drivers"... is that what I'm reading??

Woman are allowed to drive?FFS first the vote and now this.
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    BMW r1200r

My thoughts are there are enough distractions when driving a car without allowing another like cell phones which require you to drive with one hand, (if you dont have a hands free installed) and somehow be also able to change gear if you don't have a automatic.
    People do need to take there driving a bit more seriously, unfortunately manufacturers are making the cars so easy to drive most people could be inclined to fall to sleep, and airbags built into the window pillars which are now so fat and wide, you tend to duck and weave to see out around them, let alone hopefully see the narrow profile of a motorbike going around a round about. blah blah blah.

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    This law will only apply to cars. Bikers can still ride and txt at their discretion. But be very careful, the wind can sometimes whip your glove away from under your armpit.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    There are too many rules'n'regulations already. There is already provision (via the "Careless Use" or "Dangerous Use" offences) to cater for 'cellphone impaired' drivers causing mayhem on the roads. I can't see the police enforcing a ban on cellphone use - they already ignore most of the other offences that cause crap driving, in favour of the easily policed ones like speeding.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Bullshit.

A passenger (mostly) will start screaming if they think you're about to plough into something if you're not paying attention.

A cell-phone will not.

And txting is even worse - hell d'ya realise with the literacy levels of some of todays yoof that their eyes would be off the road for like, ten minutes to read a txt?
    Well said, and if your on your bike comming up to an intersection where your having to stop, keep an eye in the rear view mirror on those same texting idiots comming up behind you, make sure you have space ahead to acclerate forward out of the way as these guys are slow to pull up behind you where they should.

Bike
    Guzzi

The difference being is that a pasanger can see when the driver needs to concentrate and adjust his conversation accordinlgy...........not so the other end of the cell phone. Therein lies the problem.........the driver is more interested in the conversation than his driving and so makes mistakes or if needs to make a correction is delayed in doing so.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    Noire
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder View Post
    The difference being is that a pasanger can see when the driver needs to concentrate and adjust his conversation accordinlgy...........not so the other end of the cell phone. Therein lies the problem.........the driver is more interested in the conversation than his driving and so makes mistakes or if needs to make a correction is delayed in doing so.

Skyryder

I found screeds of research papers by a guy called Strayers, I found a summary - sources and further reading cited, quite interesting...

Couple of excerpts I whipped out of
    here

"David Strayer, PhD, of the Applied Cognition Laboratory at the University of Utah has studied cell-phone impact for more than five years. His lab, using driving high-fidelity simulators while controlling for driving difficulty and time on task, has obtained unambiguous scientific evidence that cell-phone conversations disrupt driving performance. Human attention has a limited capacity, and studies suggest that talking on the phone causes a kind of “inattention blindness” to the driving scene.

Strayer and his colleagues compared data for hand-held and hands-free devices and found no difference in the impairment to driving, thus, they say, raising doubts about the scientific basis for regulations that prohibit only hand-held cell phones

Drivers should also be aware that whether a cell phone is hands-on or hands-free makes no difference in terms of mental distraction.
    According to the research, the mental activity of conversation, whether in person or over the phone, is what takes one's mind off the road. What happens in the head happens regardless of what happens with the hands."

I found it interesting they say "Disturbingly, forthcoming research will show that talking on a cell phone (even hands-free) hurts driving even more than driving with blood alcohol at the legal limit (.08 wt/vol). When talking on a cell phone, drivers using a high-fidelity simulator were slower to brake and had more “accidents” than when they weren't on the phone. Their impairment level was actually a little higher than that of people intoxicated by ethanol (alcohol)."
    ter·ra in·cog·ni·ta
    Achievement is not always success while reputed failure often is. It is honest endeavor, persistent effort to do the best possible under any and all circumstances.
    Orison Swett Marden

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    I don't believe you. Please cite a reference that shows talking to passengers is just as dangerous as talking on cell phones and drink driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Bullshit.

A cell-phone will not.

http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/relea...ory.php?id=116

There's one. Shall I go on? Bear in mind that you can find a study to support practically any premise, simply by looking on the basis of who paid for the study.

Texting and talking on the phone are both very different activities and I made sure I made a distinction in my earlier post.

I would suggest that using a handset is worse than hands free, and that voice activated handsfree calls are no different to talking to a passenger. Certainly safer than changing a CD on the move. The handset is problematic in an urban area.

I don't agree that passengers "helping" you drive is a good thing at all. I've had passengers freak out over nothing (usually because I'm not doing it the way they would) and distract me from the job at hand far more often than they've "helped". It's why I prefer a bike. The summary reports that I've read that rate talking to a passenger as less dangerous than cellphone use make the distinction between non-driver passengers and experienced drivers.

We don't need any more laws, maybe a couple more penalties specifically related to cellphone use in a vehicle, specifically if a handset was in use at the time of an accident.

The biggest cause of death on NZ roads is inappropriate bahaviour for the conditions. Not speed, cellphones, alcohol, or drugs. It's an issue with attitude that can;t be fixed by substance or technology bans. NZ society seems to based on the premise of, 'I can do whatever I want, and everybody else can go jump."

That's the problem, it isn't simple to fix.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    I don't know why everyone starts with the ole well there are so many distractions with kids, passengers, etc etc blah blah...yes this is right, cellphones are just another distraction some choose to add to the mix.
    And by banning them it takes away one of the many distractions we seem to have come to accept as part of our driving community. By banning it at least it sends a message through to the hoopleheads that maybe it is not okay to drive around with a phone to my ear, one hand on the steering wheel, yelling at the kids to shut up in the back, eating my food off the floor of the car.

Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Blog Entries
    meh.. i LIVE on the phone in the truck... i use a TomTom GO720 with Bluetooth.. connects to my phone when im in the truck and disconnects when i step away .. nice and clear sound ( even over the engine) and i dont have that Wanker Borg hookup on the side of my head all day

also has an MP3 player and FM transmitter...
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

SARGE
    represented by GCM

Thread Information