View Poll Results: Do you agree with a ban on using cellphones while driving?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ban it!

83 80.58%
  • No, don't ban it, but make it a aggravating factor if it contributes to an accident.

18 17.48%
  • Don't know...

2 1.94%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cellphone ban in cars likely this year - NZ Herald

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeymcbean View Post
    And by banning them it takes away one of the many distractions we seem to have come to accept as part of our driving community. By banning it at least it sends a message through to the hoopleheads that maybe it is not okay to drive around with a phone to my ear, one hand on the steering wheel, yelling at the kids to shut up in the back, eating my food off the floor of the car.
    It doesn't send any message. Kiwis are only concerned about how society affects them, not how they affect society.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    I don't know why everyone starts with the ole well there are so many distractions with kids, passengers, etc etc blah blah...yes this is right, cellphones are just another distraction some choose to add to the mix.
    And by banning them it takes away one of the many distractions we seem to have come to accept as part of our driving community. By banning it at least it sends a message through to the hoopleheads that maybe it is not okay to drive around with a phone to my ear, one hand on the steering wheel, yelling at the kids to shut up in the back, eating my food off the floor of the car.

Bike
    1980 Suzuki GS1000 and 1983 Suzuki GR650
    Driving with one hand while driving seems to be the whole thing and texting therefore not constrating on driving! then what about , lighting a smoke, smoking, eating a ice cream, sipping out of water bottle smacking the kids fighting in the back. what next!
    Boys can't ride broken toys.

Bike
    08ZX10, 98 KX250
    In Palmy you can watch school kids on their 50cc scooters texting as they ride down the street I shit you not! :shit

Natural selection i say!!
    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Dude, I was riding it home from Hamilton in the pi$$ing rain $hitting myself .... There's no way in hell I could own that bike for a week and still have my license. There...I've admitted it.

Scracha Loves me ... Know him before you judge me.

Bike
    Ninjaaaa!
    My defensive instructor said that talking on the phone whilst driving is more of a distraction than texting while driving. Not sure I get that but I suppose that you are able to put your phone down while texting if you need to concentrate more on the road however you arent likely to hang up on someone if talking on the phone and you need to concentrate more.

Fortnightly Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Cr1MiNaL View Post
    sigh, people with big mouths on here are always the ones with little or no skill.
    Roffle

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    It doesn't send any message. Kiwis are only concerned about how society affects them, not how they affect society.
    Very well said........but does that mean you don't do anything? Maybe we need a some tough love, take away the toys. I think as a nation we are very immature about our rights being taken away and what we think is good for us, I reckon most of us need a good slap around the face and a kick up the arse really. I think by banning cellphones it does send a message, people deep down know they should not be texting and talking on the phone and taking your eyes off the road etc etc. Hell im no angle here when i was younger i made a right mess of myself and car after it rolled a few times off the road and around a farmers paddock because of fiddling around with a tape recorder in the car. I did learn my lesson, and thank god i didn't kill anyone.

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    In Palmy you can watch school kids on their 50cc scooters texting as they ride down the street I shit you not! :shit

Natural selection i say!!
    I agree with you in the natural selection, but usually they like to take other people with them that might have some use in the future gene pool and thats not helpful.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Thani-B View Post
    My defensive instructor said that talking on the phone whilst driving is more of a distraction than texting while driving. Not sure I get that but I suppose that you are able to put your phone down while texting if you need to concentrate more on the road however you arent likely to hang up on someone if talking on the phone and you need to concentrate more.
    And what about when you're reading a text??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Kiwis are only concerned about how society affects them, not how they affect society.
    I'm a little shocked to be lumped into that category. Without care for others' rights, there can be no true freedom. That is, what if I stole something that is yours? How can I exercise my freedom of action when it violates your rights?

The bottom line is, I cannot possibly be free to do as I choose, since it might impact your freedom, and consequently the reverse is true. True freedom only comes from me not interfering with you, and vice versa.

To some extent I agree with you - folks are too busy contemplating how they are victimised, where we would all be better served to forget that and go and do the right thing by everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Thani-B View Post
    My defensive instructor said that talking on the phone whilst driving is more of a distraction than texting while driving.
    I would like to hear the logic behind that.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    None at present
    About bloody time. Not that it will stop the stupid buggers, of course.

Nothing worse than erratic cellphone drivers.
    What you have in your heart will be revealed through what you have in your life.

If things are going badly in our circumstances, the answer to what is happening to us outwardly is more often than not found in the mirror.

Bike
    Ninjaaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    And what about when you're reading a text??
    Read a few words, look up, read a few more, look up, finish reading, look up etc lol. Or just for those moments you are reading you are paying no attention to the road at all so better hope that nothing unexpected happens.

Fortnightly Adventures

sigh, people with big mouths on here are always the ones with little or no skill.
    Roffle

Bike
    Ninjaaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    I would like to hear the logic behind that.
    He didnt explain it and I was only there to get the cert to cut down my time so didnt bother asking.

Fortnightly Adventures

Roffle

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    The option saying "no, but make it..." Is very problematic. It must be proven to contribute. Impossible. There are too many variables in accidents now, add this for a potential dury to ponder, and yet another loop hole for vacant minded wankers to slip through is created.

Bike
    FZR 400
    Quote Originally Posted by yod View Post
    correct

and stereos, climate control, cup-holders, glove boxes, seat adjustment, mirror adjustment, eating, smoking, scratching your arse/balls/eyes/ears, farting, belching, laughing, ....basically anything else that a driver can do whilst driving, other than driving.....
    as long as they dont ban getting a bj while driving
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend-it View Post
    "Ban women drivers"... is that what I'm reading??

ummmm
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Some Kiwibiker threads contain such a wealth of fuckwittery that they should in some way be permanently removed from the digital domain, carved onto stone tablets and then launched into space to scare the living shit out of any hostile alien species that may be lurking nearby

Bike
    flippy
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Sales of hands-free kits will increase.
    Is that not using a cellphone while driving...?

I personally have taken some decent photos with my pxt phone while riding, even sent a few texts when i was lost in hamilton and too scared to stop for fear of the police catching up.

Thread Information