View Poll Results: Do you agree with a ban on using cellphones while driving?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ban it!

83 80.58%
  • No, don't ban it, but make it a aggravating factor if it contributes to an accident.

18 17.48%
  • Don't know...

2 1.94%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cellphone ban in cars likely this year - NZ Herald

Bike
    750 auw
    I suspect this emotional banning frenzy has been stirred up by the phone companies. They're going to make a mint selling hands-free kits which aren't actually proven to be significantly safer.

Fuck our law makers are stupid. We deserve them.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeymcbean View Post
    No its not hard driving with one hand, but you can tell the difference when you use two hands on the wheel,
    No difference really. When I use both hands on the wheel I feel like I've got one to spare that's not doing much.
    im sure when your arm was in a cast you were not talking on a cellphone,
    Now that would've been a sight - one hand holding cellphone one incapacitated and knees on the wheel - definitely not.
    most likely your attitude was different as well in that you new you had your only good hand on the wheel so you were more careful from the out set of your drive.
    No difference here either as I mostly drive with one hand anyway. The other hand just changes gear.
    So if you are on your cellphone with one hand on the steering wheel, are you one of the many that don't or can't then indicate to go around a round about/corner as this is what happens when you are occupied with a cellphone there is no use of indicators
    When I use one hand to drive the indicators do not suffer. Neither does the high-beam control at night. It's all about hand placement and thinking ahead - something I'm still capable of doing while carrying on a conversation (irrespective of whether it's with a passenger or on a cellphone).

Really the thrust of my argument is not that everybody is capable of putting a cellphone in it's place while driving i.e. a definite second. It's just that I don't believe we need another law to deal with those that can't. The current laws surrounding due care and attention should be plenty.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    I have two cb radios in my work truck, which causes as much distraction as my cell phone. so ban the phone, but what about the radios?

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    No difference really. When I use both hands on the wheel I feel like I've got one to spare that's not doing much.

Now that would've been a sight - one hand holding cellphone one incapacitated and knees on the wheel - definitely not.

No difference here either as I mostly drive with one hand anyway. The other hand just changes gear.

When I use one hand to drive the indicators do not suffer. Neither does the high-beam control at night. It's all about hand placement and thinking ahead - something I'm still capable of doing while carrying on a conversation (irrespective of whether it's with a passenger or on a cellphone).

Really the thrust of my argument is not that everybody is capable of putting a cellphone in it's place while driving i.e. a definite second. It's just that I don't believe we need another law to deal with those that can't. The current laws surrounding due care and attention should be plenty.
    Well I commend your driving skills, and im sure your going to be right on what you believe.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    I have two cb radios in my work truck, which causes as much distraction as my cell phone. so ban the phone, but what about the radios?
    Can't have a truck without a radio. Sorry it isn't right. That would make about as much sense as Bruno landing in Eminem's lap wearing trousers instead of chaps.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Several
    SWBarnett - I see you still think you have superior multi-tasking skills and believe that you have the right to use a phone whilst driving. The world over is recognising that using a phone whilst driving has cost lives. As bikers we are particularly vulnerable.

How would you feel if a moments in-attention caused by using a phone whilst driving caused the death of a child or say, another biker ? Don't say it couldn't happen....it could. Don't say it hasn't happened , because it has.

Bike
    None

Brilliant ....

It's a brilliant idea, should have happened a long time ago ....
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs. - Alexei Sayle

Fame was like a drug, but what was even more like a drug were the drugs. - Homer Simpson

Bike
    Cagiva Raptor 650, ZX-10R
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Gears?? Eeeeeeeewww, that's so 1980...

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    SWBarnett - I see you still think you have superior multi-tasking skills and believe that you have the right to use a phone whilst driving. The world over is recognising that using a phone whilst driving has cost lives. As bikers we are particularly vulnerable.

How would you feel if a moments in-attention caused by using a phone whilst driving caused the death of a child or say, another biker ? Don't say it couldn't happen....it could. Don't say it hasn't happened , because it has.
    But morons driving have also caused deaths... so do we ban driving altogether?? And if I were to drive or ride without my glasses, I'd defintely kill someone! Licensing and endorsements *theoretically* takes care of that, so maybe we should have a "driving with a cellphone" endorsement on a license, like the "must wear corrective lenses when driving" endorsement on mine?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Bike
    Noire
    Well said.
    ter·ra in·cog·ni·ta
    Achievement is not always success while reputed failure often is. It is honest endeavor, persistent effort to do the best possible under any and all circumstances.
    Orison Swett Marden

Bike
    None any more
    People know the dangers inherent in TXTing while driving. If they don't then they're fucktards and passing a law isn't going to change their coefficient of fucktardedness.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    passing a law isn't going to change their coefficient of fucktardedness.
    Which fact has slowed the landslide of nuisence laws over the last few years not a jot.

My remaining hope is that we'll soon be constrained by so many that the respective authorities won't be able to find the one pertaining to any given crime.

That, or we'll all avoid a spell at Her Majesty’s pleasure simply because the polise force comprises the total population.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Mine

I'm sure it has. So has smoking, smacking kids and any other distraction you care to name. So why are we singling out cellphone use? My point is simply that we already have a law on the books to deal with distracted drivers, whatever the cause, we don't need more.

My own abilities are not really at issue. I only bring them up to illustrate that just because some people are incapable of carrying on a conversation while driving does not mean we should all be tarred with the same brush. There are those that should never be allowed behind the wheel. Does that mean we should ban driving?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Several
    Why single out cellphone drivers ?

• Because it is a widespread cause of driving without due care.
    • Because it is a relatively new cause of accidents which can be addressed.
    • Because a ban will reduce accidents and deaths caused by using cellphones whilst driving
    • Because it is more detectable and can be deterred (A cop sees you do it and gives you a ticket)
    • Because preventing use will reduce the possibility of accidents before they happen whereas existing laws can often only be applied when an accident has already happened.
    • Because the penalty for causing an accident through cellphone use will attract a significantly heavier penalty than it does now.
    • Because it wil encourage safer hands-free technology.

and as far as using your own super-human multi-tasking abilities to illustrate your point.... Guess what...I can drive and use a cell phone too. The difference between us is I think its a bloody dangerous thing to do regardless of ability.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Why single out cellphone drivers ?
    If it hasn't been pointed out already talking on a cellphone has been demonstrated to cause exactly the same level of driver distraction as talking to a passenger. And the introduction of laws banning hand-held phone use in Aus had zero effect on accident stat’s having phone use as a contributing factor.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information