Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Road (South Island)

Bike
    2012 Victory Hammer & 1973 Triumph X75
    Quote Originally Posted by vstrom View Post
    fast and furious to the top of the crown range from the queenstown end then a cruze down to wanaka,
    I much prefer it going the opposite way!

Bike
    08 harley fxdf

really enjoyed the chch nelson rd last weekend

especially the waimangaroas & the hills just past seddon the long straight down onto the coast and all the corners and ups and downs to kaikoura bit of a refuel then thru the hundalees then for some reason the rd was full of traffic so had to slow down a tad

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    The stretch of road from Pelorus to Nelson.

Magic.

Bike
    2006 1200HDC
    Definitely Fairlie to Twizel some nice fast corners then up over Burkes Pass to a wide open valley and heaps of foxgloves/lupins - ya just breath in the space, fantastic ride over and even better coming back with sun setting behind you - long shadows and great scenery - timed right ya can damn near have the road to yourself!

Bike
    2001 DucatiST4s 2007 aprilia sxv550
    No 1 =Lap of the south Island.
    like Nordieboy said, The stretch of road from Pelorus to Nelson, fantastic.
    Well worth the loop is Murchison through the buller to Reefton then out to Springs junction, home through the lewis.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDAZ View Post
    like Nordieboy said, The stretch of road from Pelorus to Nelson, fantastic.
    Road?
    Well, it's OK I suppose.

The stretch of dirt from Pelorus to Nelson however, fantastic.

Bike
    Triumph Speedmaster 900
    Well, thats a tough one, I would have said the whole west coast from W/P to Haast-Wanaka, however as its already on, my second choice would have to be the trip up the Takaka Hill and back down and across to Murchison through Woodstock. The scenery and views are astonishing and are a real contrast and awakening to middle Earth.
    In the summer of 2008, myself and 7 other riders embarked on an epic journey to circumnavigate NZ. We started on the 27th Dec and returned on the 17th Jan 09. We left from Warkworth heading up east coast route all the way to Cable bay and Cape Reinga. We came south on the west route via Waipoa Forrest and Dargaville, then south to New Plymouth, Wellington, across the straight, Picton, Blenhiem, Nelson, Motueka, Takaka, Collingwood, Cape Farewell, Woodstock- because we had to visit a place with such an epic name..... Then onto Murchison, Greymouth- where the storm hit hard so we buckled in for the night. Then onto Hokitika, Haast, Wanaka, Queenstown, down to Invercargil, Bluff, the Catlins, some quaint cool cafe in Owaka, Balclutha, Dunedin, Oamaru, Timaru, Ashburton, CHCH, Kaikoura, Blenheim, Picton, FERRY, Welly, Masterton, Napier, A cool little camp site at Lake Tutira, Gisborne, Te Puia Hot pools, Ruatoria. Stayed by the bridge at Te Araroa, then to East Cape in am, up to Hicks Bay, around to Otuwhare? where the most expensive gas in NZ was lol.... then on to Whakatane, Tauranga and home to Warkworth.
    It wasn't a day trip by anymeans lol, but it was the most scenic trip I have ever done lol....... It was 7600 something kms, had to change tyres once and used about $500 of petrol, $200 on ferry, $470 on food, and zero on accommodation..... yes thats correct, didn't once pay for accommodation.

We had tents and camp gear, though we only got to camp 3 nights. The rest people we met put us up. A church hall, a school, a cafe, a flash as apartment righton the water in Queenstown which was gifted to us- the occupant checked into a hotel lol, numerous southerners met us and put us up and put on mean feeds....

Plan your own epic trip today, I know for sure, we will do it again, hopefully this summer.

Anyone else done a trip like this. we have a post of the route on our website www.soamc.co.nz
    I am freindly really, I only bite when provoked

Bike
    Triumph Speedmaster 900
    I did this run on a GN250 up over the hill when I was at nelson polytech, it was awesome. That is the pelorus to nelson route.
    I am freindly really, I only bite when provoked

Bike
    07 M109R (the learner model)
    Yeah thats a nice ride, if you turn left into fairfax st (murchison) and keep goin youll end up on the Shenandoah highway. Its a gravel road with lots of fords, a hairy patch of road with unreal scenery! Its about 30 kms long, a great back road trip to springs junction and the lewis..

Bike
    2005 Honda CB1300
    Definitely the Pig Route - Mosgiel to Ranfurly. But then that stetch from Greymouth to Westport is fantastic too. Or the Takaka Hill. No hang on a bit - the Crown Range. Or Chch to Akaroa. Oh bugger it - the whole of the freakin SOuth Island is jsut one big bike ride!!! Love it.
    Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig. --Robert A. Heinlein .

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Kingston to Frankton ...okay about 6m14 seconds from Kingston at legal speeds you cross a bridge and start the Staircase..... the next 15 km... starts tight and opens up....and nice views.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    ... the next 15 km... starts tight and opens up....and nice views.

Hmmm, challenging road + views, ya often hear that, I guess you can't give 100% attention to both though eh!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2001, Kawasaki ZX12R
    I cant believe only one mention of the Devils Staircase.....

My choice would have to be going from Invercargill via winton up to frankton (long straights all the way to kingston then the twisty fun of the staircase) then heading through the gorge to cromwell and down through alexandra to Raes Junction and winding back down through to Gore and back to Invercargill.

Its a hell of a ride, wouldnt put a time on it, that depends on the day and your mood but its a great way to fill in a warm summers sunday afternoon!!

The central otago roads are all generally very good, great views with lakes everywhere and smooth roads with a great mix of twisties and sweeping highway......hmmmm....guess what Im doing tomorrow lol

Bike
    08 Street Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by southern_blade View Post
    I cant believe only one mention of the Devils Staircase.....

My choice would have to be going from Invercargill via winton up to frankton (long straights all the way to kingston then the twisty fun of the staircase) then heading through the gorge to cromwell and down through alexandra to Raes Junction and winding back down through to Gore and back to Invercargill.

Its a hell of a ride, wouldnt put a time on it, that depends on the day and your mood but its a great way to fill in a warm summers sunday afternoon!!

The central otago roads are all generally very good, great views with lakes everywhere and smooth roads with a great mix of twisties and sweeping highway......hmmmm....guess what Im doing tomorrow lol
    I rode the DS last month and it was rubbish. Pot-holed and rough uneven seal, didn't enjoy it at all.
    Coming back towards Frankton was marginally better.
    Your silver grin
    Still sticking it in
    You have
    Some machine
    Soul machine

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGrin View Post
    I rode the DS last month and it was rubbish. Pot-holed and rough uneven seal, didn't enjoy it at all.
    Coming back towards Frankton was marginally better.
    Plus its only ten minutes of ride on that section ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information