Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Road (South Island)

Your Favourite Road (South Island)

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE STRETCH OF ROAD

What the aim of this thread is for people to let others know there favourite bit of road thru out the country.

So if people are planning a trip, can check out some other bikers favourite routes

There is one thread for North Island Roads, and another for South Island Roads

Rules
    • Only 1 route per person per thread.
    • Check that someone else hasn't already used your route, if so choose another your favourite, place another favourite of yours, or do not reply.
    • Your Route has no more than 100kms long. (can only be 50km etc, but no more than 100kms, aka no saying coro loop, which part is your favourite)
    • Add a map of some kind. (google, wises or simlar showning where its located for ease of use of others)
    • Add a brief description, of road type, and if there are and interesting sites along route for people to look at.
    • This thread is not for listing the merits, or do's and don't's of peoples favourite roads.

Example post layout

Starting Point:
    Finshing Point:
    Distance:
    Type of road:
    Hazards:
    Time of year to avoid this road:
    Points of Interest:

I came across this road when i was in SI last year, and turned out to my favourite road the tour. and we never planned on using it, just stumbled on it.
    Starting Point: Waiau, Canterbury
    Finshing Point: Swyncombe, Canterbury
    Distance: 70km
    Type of road: A mix of left right hands, with mix speed of 25-75. with a couple of straights banged in for good measure
    Hazards: Is meant to have alot of tourist but time i went down it saw none of this.
    Time of year to avoid this road: This road is more of a summer road, due to being in alpine area gets snow coverage in winter.
    Points of Interest: Mount Lyford Lodge NZ largest Log Building

Bike
    None any more
    Motueka to Murchison, or vice versa. A combination of SH 6 and the highway formerly known as Highway 61, now known as the Tapawera-Motueka Road, apparently because an infamous gang kept thieving the signs.

Stop at Tapawera for an ice cream or milkshake.

View Larger Map
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Start Point: Murchison
    Finsh point: Westport
    Distance:About 90km
    Type of road:
    State Hgwy 6.
    Tarsealed. Awesome road with a variety of corners, though often bumpy,& can be a tad slippery in the wet & winter, & shady. Road works often not well posted. Favourite revenue road for the local police.
    Hazards: Mufti Cops,Campervans, cowshit,rocks. A couple of one lane bridges with dodgey approaches.A couple of decreasing radius turns....If its posted 55 or less, then there's a reason for it.
    Time of year: Best all year round except winter , though riding to the conditions its fine.
    Points of interest: Murchison...best wee town in the middle of nowhere, anywhere!! Got Gas. got pies got public toilets, 2 pubs & 3 Cafes...Rivers Cafe is the best I reckon.
    Buller Gorge Swingbridge: N.Z's longest,say youre mates with the fellas that work there with the bikes & you'll get in for free.
    Top of the Buller gorge down to Inangahua is the tighter twtisty-er bit,opens out a bit from Inangahua to Westport.Hawks cragg is interesting as the roads carved into the cliff face.
    I 'd do the map thing but my dial up is pathetic....maybe someone could do that for me?
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    '96 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport
    I've always liked the wee bit of road between Waimate and Haka. Its a well kept fast road over rolling limestone scarps. Nothing super twisty but nothing dead straight either, til you get closer to Haka. Turn off SH1 at the "Cup & Saucer"... or what ever it's called now...

View Larger Map

Bike
    Z900
    the crown range would be my favourite stretch off road. not so good in winter when there is lot's of grit tho
    "your car is boring"

Bike
    91, Honda, CBR600 f2

Sumner/Akaroa

Nice and whindy, great view of the huge boats in the harbour from cliffside road. Grab a drink in Akaroa then do it all again! Better for summer rides as quite a few shaded parts of road.

Stats:
    82.6 km – about 1 hour 19 mins

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&so...,0.725098&z=11

Bike
    GSX1400K5
    The best roads Ive been on were between HariHari and Haast, incredible scenery and nice windy roads, If I remember correctly this stretch between Whataroa and Fox glacier was awesome.

Distance - around 50kms about 30mins as the bike flys.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps/mm?hl=...30899&t=h&z=12

Bike
    08 Street Bob
    Between Cromwell and Clyde/Alex.

Most of those central Otago roads are great.
    Your silver grin
    Still sticking it in
    You have
    Some machine
    Soul machine

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    The Catlins Coastal route from Balcluthat to Fortrose -Tokanui area....mm - mm!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    From Haast towship to Makarora ... either way. I never get sick of that road.
    Unless the cloud level is below power pole height, its fair pissing down, and my wet gear has given up in disgust.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2012 Victory Hammer & 1973 Triumph X75

Middlemarch to Kyeburn

Long fast straights, feeding into sweepers, big hills, tight turns, following the Taieri River & Rail Trail for a bit, then out onto the Maniototo @ Kyeburn.
    Oh & did I forget "Great Espresso @ Hyde Cafe". AWESOME!

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Oh what a delima, which favorite? has to be Te Anau to Homer Tunnel, autumn away from the tourist season, late in the afternoon on a warm day, Autum colors, magic light, and all sorts of roads, straight, tight, sweeping....

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    Oh what a delima, which favorite? has to be Te Anau to Homer Tunnel, autum away from the tourist season, late in the afternoon on a warm day, Autum colors, magic light, and all sorts of roads, straight, tight, sweeping....
    Fuck yeah!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    1996 ZZR 1100 D4,
    Arthurs Pass is simply awesome in the summer, and Crown Range road would be first equal, along with Te Anua to Milford. Only been twice to the South Island and Arthurs was a must do both times for me
    9 down 26 to go

Thread Information