Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Road (North Island)

Bike
    1992 Honda CBR250RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hispid View Post
    Starting Point: Redoubt Rd
    Finshing Point: Redoubt Rd, Manukau or Botany
    Distance: One way, 52km (50 mins)
    Type of road: good quality in most areas.

Hazards: Cars in the way. Slippery in the wet.

Points of Interest: Nice and twisty .
    Here's a slightly modified version of that map, recommended on ducati.ms/forums.

View Larger Map

PS- For those wondering how to insert the page like that (as I was), just copy this into your message:
    HTML Code:
    <iframe width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/"></iframe>
    To add the "View Larger Map" bit in small aqua text add this to the end:
    HTML Code:
    <small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/" style="color:#00FFFF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
    Make sure you change the src="http://maps.google.com/maps/" and the href= in both of those to the web address of your map.
    You may want a gap between the map and the text, in which case add another <br />.

Bike
    bike
    Blog Entries
    Hi. I have just been up country on my wee Keeway Super Shadow. Was an absolute blast. But the bike did struggle in a few places. Can't wait to get my full, and a bigger bike!

But I discovered an amazing road to ride. I'm sure many of you have already done this road, but I didn't know anything about it. We were heading from Taupo to Taranaki. Took SH43 - the Forgotten World Highway. Wowie - what a road. It was simply stunning, and a very exciting ride. Beautiful corners, nice decends. Absoltely awesome. Pretty funny going past the sign say "no gas for 150K" as the previous day my bike had run dry ar 120k. But I took it easy and made it to the next station. As for the gravel road part, didn't expect that but quickly learnt how to handle it. I have also discovered how hopeless my light is after heading through the long tunnel with a tinted visor and sunglasses. I couldn't help but laugh.

An absolute dream run for me, and I think I have gained some good skills as a beginner rider. Can't wait to go through there again, just with my bigger bike that can keep up a bit of speed. I'm still buzzing. Pretty magic place.

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    Quote Originally Posted by Katiepie View Post
    Hi. I have just been up country on my wee Keeway Super Shadow. Was an absolute blast. But the bike did struggle in a few places. Can't wait to get my full, and a bigger bike!

But I discovered an amazing road to ride. I'm sure many of you have already done this road, but I didn't know anything about it. We were heading from Taupo to Taranaki. Took SH43 - the Forgotten World Highway. Wowie - what a road. It was simply stunning, and a very exciting ride. Beautiful corners, nice decends. Absoltely awesome. Pretty funny going past the sign say "no gas for 150K" as the previous day my bike had run dry ar 120k. But I took it easy and made it to the next station. As for the gravel road part, didn't expect that but quickly learnt how to handle it. I have also discovered how hopeless my light is after heading through the long tunnel with a tinted visor and sunglasses. I couldn't help but laugh.

An absolute dream run for me, and I think I have gained some good skills as a beginner rider. Can't wait to go through there again, just with my bigger bike that can keep up a bit of speed. I'm still buzzing. Pretty magic place.
    Hi Katiepie,

Yes I have to agree with you there. I completed the 1000k challenge a couple of years ago that took us through there. It's an amazing piece of road and a must do if you want a awesome ride and experience. I was hoping last years challenge (Nov) was going to follow the same route but unfortunately it didn't. I may just have to organise to do it with a couple of friends instead.

That road has mixed emotions as well. A friend died doing the 1000k challenge that day so it also has some sad memories. (R.I.P Grub).
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Hi Katiepie,

Yes I have to agree with you there. I completed the 1000k challenge a couple of years ago that took us through there. It's an amazing piece of road and a must do if you want a awesome ride and experience. I was hoping last years challenge (Nov) was going to follow the same route but unfortunately it didn't. I may just have to organise to do it with a couple of friends instead.

That road has mixed emotions as well. A friend died doing the 1000k challenge that day so it also has some sad memories. (R.I.P Grub).
    Anzac weekend Hawk ! Tahora (10km north of wangamomona pub) bike rally for a night or two, Well worth it !
    And for gods sake will ya put a map of the Paekok hill on here for me (can't believe it aint been done)
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    2002 Hayabusa and 2001 Honda XR650R
    I've just finished a two week tour of the north island. Over 7800kms on 12 days . I've found some awesome roads (will make a post with some info sometime this week, once I get my stuff sorted). This was the first time I've done the sh43 too It's a pretty nice road.

Bike
    Ducati Mostro
    http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&so...44014&t=h&z=11

View Larger Map

Great road, no speed markings so caution needed. Very very very very twisty... once passed all the cave attractions road was quiet, only did it last week and only a hand full of cars we saw both ways.

More for the experienced/confident rider I would say.

Crap on road....... RI parts otherwise pretty damn good!
    DUCATI ------- A real bike in a sea of shit!

Bike
    1991 Kwaka zxr250a
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    woohoo, this one ain't taken... Good ol Waihi to Whangamata (or in reverse). No road should be treated as a race track, but this is one tight road, corner after corner. 30km in 20min easy.

Starting Point: Whangamata
    Finshing Point: Waihi (or vice versa)
    Distance: 30km
    Type of road: Sealed, good quality in most areas
    Hazards: Some is in shade during winter, so watch out for it, more slippery
    Time of year to avoid this road: Just after light rain, making it slippery
    Points of Interest: The bloody road!

View Larger Map

Got to love that road, uphill, downhill, and plenty of tight corners. Better from wanga to waihi IMO.

Other hazards include blind corners (of which most are) and the bloody cagers that cut them.

Rode down there a couple weekends ago, with plenty of holiday traffic. Stuck behind a long line of cars doing 40kph the whole way down the hill with no room to pass. Bike was getting pretty warm by the bottom without the airflow!

Bike
    2006, kawasaki, zx6r 636 ninja
    favorite rd atm is from wellsford to hellensville on 16. Great twisties and very little traffic for about 50 km's. Not bad for being close to auckland

Bike
    AX100
    Quote Originally Posted by TIBLE_90 View Post
    favorite rd atm is from wellsford to hellensville on 16. Great twisties and very little traffic for about 50 km's. Not bad for being close to auckland

Yeah, but sadly the blue fairies also know this ride. Take care.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.

The ride out to port waikato

Or through pukekawa to glen murry, naike,pepepe,waingaro and down to ngaruawhaia. was always a blast when i was a young fella.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    06 ZX6R
    Blog Entries
    Definitely the new Albany express highway from Westgate. 6.8KM of downhill straight on BRAND-SPANKING new Seal... mmmmmm

its only been open for about a week and there are shit-loads of cops... nothing a radar cant fix though!

Bike
    2006, kawasaki, zx6r 636 ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy_mate View Post
    Definitely the new Albany express highway from Westgate. 6.8KM of downhill straight on BRAND-SPANKING new Seal... mmmmmm

its only been open for about a week and there are shit-loads of cops... nothing a radar cant fix though!
    haha, I'll need to go have a look at that. Hope there wo't be any around when I go

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post

Kaikohe to Maungatapere or in reverse, either way is doesn't matter.

Finshing Point:....Kaikohe
    Distance:.....70kms
    Type of road:..amazing
    Hazards:.....Cows
    Time of year to avoid this road: ....Milking time
    Points of Interest: ...Subway in Kaikohe
    +1

The council have just fixed up the roads too so make the most of before the logging trucks destroy it all again.

Bike
    Triumph Saint,Triumph Adventurer
    Mangamuka gorge rd through to Kaitia.

From Mangamuka bridge via Broadwood,Herekino,Victoria,Wainui junction just south west of Kaitaia.
    From Mangamuka bridge through to Herekino is pure scratching,average corner speeds around 20km-50km.
    Herekino to Wainui more open and faster but still twisty and up an down ect ect.
    Most road surface "perfect".
    One smooth,fast,cambered corner after another.
    Best ridden in company and with a 1st aid kit.
    Hazards,the usual locals and also includes logging trucks,but you can find out about their activity at the Mangamuka bridge store.

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries

Paekakariki hill road

This road is lots of fun but really dangerous! The 4wds have a nasty habit of being on the wrong side of the road. As with any other good one there is often crap on the road.

Aside from the moments of near death there are some wicked combos of bends.

View Larger Map
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Thread Information