Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Road (North Island)

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Coast via Wainuiomata, Lower Hutt.

Wainui Road, Waiwhetu, Lower Hutt to Main Road to Coast Road and back.

Distance is about 50ks there and back, road is sealed, reasonably wide, gentle bends but the Wainui hill road might prove a challenge for smaller engined bikes (uphill 80km speed limit with a lot of bends).

This is not my favourite road, but most of the roads I like are short, like the short 70kph stretch of Middleton Road between Churton Park and Tawa, or Whitemans Valley Road Upper Hutt, or Alexandra Road Wellington.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by fxxk View Post
    Not entirely sure how to explain this but, on the way to Turangi from the turn off from Whakamaru is a great road, theres one bit in particular that has nice sweeping corkscrew corners one after the other up the hill, its a few k's past the turn off to go to Taumarunui, Someone may know where i mean
    Agreed. Great road. No traffic. No slower than taking the main state Highway. Great corners. Pretty much ticks all the boxes.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    2016 Yamaha MT-10

Bike
    bandit
    Vinegar Hil to Ashurst ... twisty tight in places, straights in others .. only ever seen a cop on it once ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    ZZR 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Hispid View Post
    Starting Point: Redoubt Rd
    Finshing Point: Redoubt Rd, Manukau or Botany
    Distance: One way, 52km (50 mins)
    Type of road: good quality in most areas.

Hazards: Cars in the way. Slippery in the wet.

Points of Interest: Nice and twisty .

View Larger Map
    How do you get 52ks on Redoubt Road. I live just off the road so I am confused about where your starting and finishing.

Bike
    2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S
    Quote Originally Posted by lankyman View Post
    Starting Point- Stratford
    Finishing Point- Whangamomona
    Distance- 63km
    Road Type- Sweeping 2 lane country road into windy single lane back-road
    Hazards- Poor condition of seal in some places (tar patches), and the only 15k corner I know of in the North Island
    Points of interest- Several very tight saddles along the way, with awsome views of eastern Taranaki Hill country at summits
    -The famous Whangamomona Pub at the end, steeped in heritage, with cold beer flowing from the taps

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...1,2.471924&z=9
    Hazards: Wild goats

Are you still at the pub?
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by fxxk View Post
    Not entirely sure how to explain this but, on the way to Turangi from the turn off from Whakamaru is a great road, theres one bit in particular that has nice sweeping corkscrew corners one after the other up the hill, its a few k's past the turn off to go to Taumarunui, Someone may know where i mean
    do you mean sh 32 aka "western side lake taupo" Sh30 through Bennydale also worth a squirt.A completely diffferent type of rideis this one. I call it Homewood Road Used to do it on my UJM but it would probabaly be called adventure bike ride now.I think there is a bit of gravel on it.Used to be much more gravel

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    Mangamukas, Kaimai , Heatherington, Walton,Arapuni , Mango, Raglan ,and will throw 309 in

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS

Mangamuka SH1 re-surfaced

An update for everyone - having closed SH1 south of Kaitaia off and on for a couple of weeks I can report that the road has had a major refurbish with new hotmix in just about all of the places that it was needed. The single major slips on each side of the hill have been left out but the rest is fantastic. AND the trees and bush on the side of the road have had a huge prune so there are far fewer shady spots and much better sightlines.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    do you mean sh 32 aka "western side lake taupo" Sh30 through Bennydale also worth a squirt.A completely diffferent type of rideis [UI call it Homewood Road Used to do it on my UJM but it would probabaly be called adventure bike ride now.I think there is a bit of gravel on it.Used to be much more gravel
    Did Homewood road last weekend, still plenty of gravel
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    SH25 from Coromandel Town over the hill towards Whitianga. Difficult to overtake though, especially trailers.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

Bike
    XR650R
    Hi, thought I might add the gentle Annie ride , moewhanga ( just inland from taihape) to Omahu(just b4 napier) is a ride to relish on a good day, hundreds of corners, straights , hill climbs, starts off medium then tight to fairly open at the Napier end just as the bloods getting to the boil- it's one not to miss

Bike
    71 Kawasaki W1, 77 Yamaha XS650
    ... bought myself an xmas pressie last year, mid dec, double-duplex drum front wheel, in germany-notified yesterday that it was sitting in kaitaia, got me thinking, since being back i've been once to kaitaia, by box, to shop, and had what i must say was the best meat pie i've eaten in a very long time-in awanui, next to the pub (northside) ... reminded me of those kool backroads between kohukohu and ahipara i'd ridden as a kid, windy macadams ... the ferry trip is always a nice way to start, the roads are still windy but def not macadam anymore ... back through mangamuka gorge (childhood memories of being violently carsick as my parents morris 8 wound its way through here (a known axle breaker) loaded for 3 weeks with 2 kids - literally a loooong 2 day trip to takapuna 1 way, if it didnt rain, sat 3 days once before the slips were cleared, hitting east coast bays rd was like winning the golden kiwi

... like those rides out to bethels, piha, kare kare, anawhata, whatipu we cut our teeth on as teenies, ecstatically macadam ... or racing from the trig at titirangi to swanson motors and back ... an old favourite was, remember the motorway had been extended to otahuhu, to go out through flatbush, whitford, clevedon, kawakawa bay, orere, kaiaua for a feed, kopu, over the hill to hikuwai-stopping at the river for a swim, then scrambling through to whangamata ... we did our vandalistic best to at least slow down the later sealing of these roads ... the 25 out through hikuai, coroglen, coro, colville, stony bay or fletchers bay was way kooler than pussyfooting up the coast road

... always enjoyed blatting out past port waikato and down to raglan around karioi past aotea into kawhia, taharoa, marakopa - coming over the range and getting that first magnificent view of egmont - awakino into taranaki ... gloriously macadam

... havent been to warkworth in a very long time, after mistakingly taking highway 1 past there the other day instead of 16 i'm almost scared to but back in the day when milking in rodney i'd take matakana valley road from whangaripo or as my gf at the time was longlining out of leigh i'd go out for a 'feed of fish' n back through pakiri for early milking

... its enough to make ya a btob

... family came from gt barrier, those roads in the 60s and 70s were legendary, no rego no wof no brakes
    Be who you are and say what you feel cos those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Thanks for mentioning the Kohukohu - Ahipara Road, I've ridden it once but must do it again. The first part through Herekino is like being in a time warp, even so more than SH35 around East Cape is now. And the Kohukohu end is epic, some very fast corners best not taken too quickly in case you find the rural delivery van coming towards you on your side of the road!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS

Kohukohu Pangaru Return

If you are riding the Kohukohu to Ahipara section then the short sealed bit from the Kohukohu end of the Rawene ferry to Pangaru and back is well worth the effort. All sealed and three small ridges to climb up and over with a small winding valley between each ridge. And the road is sufficiently different that the corners on the way back flow completely differently to the way there. Guaranteed to bring a smile to everyone other than those on full dress tourers.

Thread Information