Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I get the Mrs out riding?

Bike
    Cagiva Raptor 650, ZX-10R

How do I get the Mrs out riding?

The Mrs is a risk-averse, play it safe, almost obsessively so kinda person, and I'm the opposite... She has her own gear and all, and been on the back of my bikes several times, maybe 10 times in the past 5 years, but I've always felt like she comes on the bike just because I'd like her to...

She's ridden a 50cc automatic scooter I had several lives ago, up and down our street, never exceeding 30kph, and thought that was fun but scary.

So ladies... How do I get her into riding? Just buy a learner friendly bike, and leave it in the garage with a pink ribbon around it? Kidnap her and leave her somewhere with only a bike to get home on?

Or is it a lost cause?

P.S. Ohhh, and we have a (as of 3 June 2009) 9-day old baby girl... Yayyy!!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Bike
    Black Thunder
    Well, you'll have to wait a while to get her out now! But congratulations eh... kids are cool.

You get her a little pootle around bike that she can practice on and get her out in the park as much as possible.

But not being a risk-taker, you may have an uphill battle mate. All the best!

Bike
    '92 Kawasaki ZXR250C
    I know this is a chicks forum but I'm gonna stick my two cents in anyway... If she's not getting off on the trip, get her off on the destination ie. a hotel room, hot-pools, picnic at the beach etc... ALTHOUGH... having raised my daughter for most of her life, in the first 12 months, ANY reason to get out of the house will do, so your chances of getting her out have just increased somewhat. Conratulations by the way. Kids (or kid in my case) are hands down the most incredibly fucking awesome experience I've ever had.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" - Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    2006 HD FXDC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend-it View Post

Or is it a lost cause?
    I'd say lost cause. You are either into bikes or you're not IMHO

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    P.S. Ohhh, and we have a (as of 3 June 2009) 9-day old baby girl... Yayyy!!
    Thats awesome, but it does occur to you that she's, um, tired, doesn't it? If she's not yet - she soon will be.

Anyway, in answer to your question ; Well, I dragged my reluctant mrs into riding, and a year later she's unstoppable. I doubt I would have had ANY chance AT ALL if she had our nine-day old bubs though.

Um um um, thinking about it some more, I think you are probably temporarily screwed there mate, but maybe when the time comes, show her some "cool learner bikes" on trademe and see if any of them catch her eye. If she is plenty conservative, then tell her how easy to ride this one is, or how unsuitable that one is coz its too nasty and peaky.

But for the next couple of months at least, I bet she would probably like some peace and quiet and a nice sleep in.

best of luck though,
    Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    This is a total piss take eh?

If not, you describe her as being risk averse AND having a nine day old baby, AND you want her to go riding.....

It will be a cold day in hell before she does....
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BiK3RChiK View Post
    You get her a little pootle around bike that she can practice on and get her out in the park as much as possible.

But not being a risk-taker, you may have an uphill battle mate. All the best!
    This does mean getting her permission to buy a bike that I'll use to manipulate her into doing something she doesn't currently want to do... hmmm... Worth a try though!

Quote Originally Posted by NDORFN View Post
    ANY reason to get out of the house will do, so your chances of getting her out have just increased somewhat.
    Yayyy... some hope...

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    But for the next couple of months at least, I bet she would probably like some peace and quiet and a nice sleep in.
    haha.... 4 months for the weather to fine up and for me to find a fun, easy learner's bike...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post

If not, you describe her as being risk averse AND having a nine day old baby, AND you want her to go riding.....

I agree it has to be a piss-take ... a newborn .. yeah just throw it in the pack and on the back ... that will go down well.

Not really about her being risk adverse .. more about her allowing you to still ride with a newborn and letting you take the risk of riding.
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post

Yes, I think you've summarised my problem nicely...

BUT don't give me problems, give me solutions, woman!

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Yes, I think you've summarised my problem nicely...

BUT don't give me problems, give me solutions, woman!
    Honey....she ain't gonna play!
    Clear enough?
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    Nobody eveer accused me of being perceptive...

or giving up easily!!

Must

Try

Something....

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Congrats on the new bubs!! I doubt very much she will want to put her fanny anywhere near a bike at this stage.

Maybe once bubs is in a routine and all is settled she may be open to considering it. An angle you may want to take is to get another female rider that she knows, to talk to her about riding, and certainly someone that has kids too.

But best you leave it for now me finks! A sleep deprived women with her vagina stretch beyond recognition is not a woman you should mess with right now!
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirts View Post
    Congrats on the new bubs!! I doubt very much she will want to put her fanny anywhere near a bike at this stage.
    Cruiser then? More a bum thing than a fanny thing, innit?

Hmmm, actually maybe it's the whole macho sportbike thing that she hasn't quite identified with... a cruiser might just be the thing to get her interested... Easier to weld a sidecar onto for bubs as well...

In afew months time of course...

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Hmmmmmmmmmm I sense patience is not a virtue you possess.

Talk first then maybe look at purchasing. Unless this is all a cunning ploy to get youself another bike.
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirts View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmm I sense patience is not a virtue you possess.

Talk first then maybe look at purchasing. Unless this is all a cunning ploy to get youself another bike.

The force is strong with this one...

Well, nothing wrong with killing 2 birds with 1 stone right?

Thread Information