Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: more fun.. 2 stroke or 4 ?

Bike
    Kawasaki Z750
    RD350s and 400s used to be fun, come to thing of it YZ 125s and 250s were fun as well , come to think of it RM250s were a blast when they first came out, PE175s and 250s were a bit slowish and heavy from memory, ITs were sweet.....ah, and then there was my mates TY250D, my KT250A. Sorry bad day at work , 4th beer on the way I shud up now.

Bike
    hi fellas

i just bought my first 250cc bike not long ago, it's '90 MC21 NSR250R 2-stroke powa

not a bad bike IMO, although it's a bit hard to cruise on it me think.. it's a bit jerky when it's on 4500-5500rpm

is this normal ? may be the chain is too tight (i had a look and checked it, seems to be fine)

i have been told that it's not easy to cruise on one these, so how do you cruise nicely with one ? which is the nice or should i say 'correct' rpm range for cruisin' n wot gear should it be ?

apart from that, it's all good. love the power when it kicks in. i just wish it had a bit more power/torque down low like my "godzilla"

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Well you better have a go on 500cc MX bike,CR,KX...on the road if you like - these thing are so fucking over the top that even the best MX riders are faster on a 250 - no slap in the face here,you just gotta stand there and take a baseball bat full power swing on the nose.
    Shit yeah, saw White Trash blasting on a CR500... Wheelied it through every gear to about 180kmh...
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

There have been some docile big 2 strokes,the Water Bucket was an old softy,and the 500 Titon was a grunter too,must of been a Suzuki thing cause the TS400 could pull happily from 2500rpm.They had a sting in the tail though,not really noticable on road - but if you loose traction on a bump or soft spot they instantly red line,then when you hook up they snap back and launch where you are pointed...you ride a 2 stroke just waiting for that,sooner or later you get on the wrong side of a powerband...fuck,even stings through leathers mate....
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbishi
    There has only ever been one bike I've ever ridden that has induced fear enough to make me get off it - a RGV250... the second powerband up top to be exact...

How anyone can endure a bike that has such a non-linear powerband is a wonder to me...
    It would have to be bad to be as bad as the 'orrible 'orrible H2 Kawasaki 500 triple.

Owned one for about 4 months , then got rid of it before the bastige succeeded in killing me. Put me of Kawasakis for life.

Fast as a curry fiend's shitter though.

But no doubt about the original question, two strokes are *much* more fun. But not so practical and there aren't any big ones around any more
    Last edited by Ixion; 23rd March 2005 at 00:12. Reason: apostrophe
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1992 VFR 400r NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Well you better have a go on 500cc MX bike,CR,KX...on the road if you like - these thing are so fucking over the top that even the best MX riders are faster on a 250 - no slap in the face here,you just gotta stand there and take a baseball bat full power swing on the nose.
    haha, had a mate with a cr 500
    it was a total bitch to kick start apprently he got thrown by it one day and hit the roof of his garage. but man when that thing was going it was soo fucking savage
    id like to take that ns400r in mt eden m/cycles for a test spin - two stroke 400 triple
    m/m
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrider
    Stay away from busses on a bike. You're gonna lose.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I loved my RG400 and RG250. The 250 was my first experience of the world going into rapid rewind.

The RG400 with the Stan Stephens 465 kit (cost me $3500 in 1990) in it (funnily enough the same HP as my current GSX600 but compressed into about 2000rpm up top) used to keep up with a couple mates with RG500s quite happily. Was a wheely bitch though.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    '06 Z750, '06 KDX200
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB
    As soon as I experienced the power band on my first bike (RZ250) I was hooked on bikes forever. I had never experienced anything like it.. nothing...nothing...nothing...BANG!! For living with everyday it's got to be a 4 stroke tho
    Totally agree. I had a 350YPVS which I was really thinking about trying to make into a 700 4-cylinder (graft on another set of barrels) until I ran into the downside of owning a 2-stroke as an only vehicle. Once I sorted the seizure and flogged it, I was happy to play with big 4-stroke power.

For everyday on-road riding, there's definitely no substitute for 4-stroke cubes....
    BM-GS
    Auckland

Thread Information