Thread: '08 Yamaha R1 Cam lobes worn

Bike
    TZ250 A

'08 Yamaha R1 Cam lobes worn

We race an R1 in a Superstock class. Twice now within 2 races the lobes on the inlet and exhaust cams have started wearing. The shim buckets are also worn. We run Motul 300v 4T 5w30. No other parts worn. The # 3 cylinder inlet was the worst. The oil level is run at about 3/4 up the window. Oil pump has been changed and all channels checked for blockage's. Anyone had a similar problem?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Have you checked its' oil pressure? What reason for running the non-standard API oil?

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    TZ250 A

Question

No I have not. After the rebuild now I am going to feed the oil pressure into my data logger (AIM EV03) to monitor it. The R1 only has a quantity sensor and no pressure sensor as standard. I run Motul as we are sponsored by the importer, have run 300 V since 2004 when running R6's and then an '06 R1 and have never had any lube problems. The bike has a Power Commander and Dynojet Ignition unit on but otherwise the motor is standard. I have also checked the shim buckets for binding, the valve clearances were good before the race (inlet 0.203, exhaust 0.330) and a new oil filter. Really puzzled with this.

Bike
    CB750
    I had a zx6 with the same problem, not a race bike though.Lobes damaged after 10000km.Changed under warranty, found out later the profile of some cams fitted was to aggressive.Its expected these days with the high rev limits i guess

Bike
    Gone
    A 2008 model motorcycle loaded with all the latest tech has no oil pressure switch? Really?

Thread Information