Thread: 7mm's entry into road racing VMCC Rd3

Bike
    Honda

7mm's entry into road racing VMCC Rd3

After many years of riding MX and getting tired of the dust, mud and cleaning up to do at the end of the day I decided to have a go at 'road racing'.

After having a ride on the ol mans bike at a track day earlier this year I was hooked and a few days later had purchased an RG150 to learn how its all done. After a couple more track days I felt ready to have a go and see how I stacked up.

Unfortunately I missed the first 2 rounds due to a poor bank balance but managed to get my entry in for Rd 3. The weather was shit from Sunday to Thursday the week leading up to the 25th so I was hoping the long range forecast was going to be correct as it was forecasting for calm and sunny skies on saturday.

I rolled up at 7:50am and quickly went and got signed in and to find out what to do etc, then went and got the bike unloaded and give her a quick check over. All Ok so time for rider briefing.

Then comes the long wait. Unfortunately the street stocks were last class out so after an hour we all started lining up on the dummy grid. Feeling a bit nervous having fitted a new rear tyre a few days before and also having rebuilt the top end that hadn't really been run yet the plan was to go out and take it easy for 2 or 3 laps and hopefully getting 1 good lap to qualify in a reasonable position.
    Off we went on a very cold track and a wee wet in places too, all was feeling ok until coming onto dunlop for the first time the back end lost all traction and almost high sided me. All composer now lost I knew qualifying wasn't gonna go well but got on with it and eventually got up to a reasonable pace once I settled down. Checking the lap times I clocked in a best time of 1:37.670 for 8th position.

Race 1: With practice out of the way and some of my nerves now gone, I was feeling pretty good knowing I could do heaps better this time. Off the line I managed to pass 6 or so other riders but lost a few places in T1 and got a few back around the hairpin. After this everything settled down and started to do battle with one of the minilites who eventually just piped me on the finish line! Checking the results I was blown away with a 3rd with a best lap of 1:31.974. I was stoked but still 11 secs off the winner so knew I had to do better still.

Race 2: Now feeling more confident I got a real good start off the line getting to the front but too chicken at T1 loosing heaps of positions. Again by the end of lap 1 I had passed several other bikes and knowing this race was only 6 laps I knew I had to push as hard as I could. Some places almost pushing too hard and almost running off at T1 and at dunlop. At this stage I had no idea where I was running but could see another 150 in front of me so set out to chase it down. Each lap for 3 laps I managed to gain a few meters but eventually ran out of laps. I was stocked when the results came through and I had secured 2nd. Best lap was a 1:30.986 and only 1.7sec behind the leader.

Results after the end of the day were good enough for 3rd overall which I was pretty happy about.

Well you should hopefully see me at manfeild next month hopefully with the same sort of weather and hopefully I can repeat or better this result!

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Thats a great start to street stock.Keep it up

Bike
    A few
    Bloody good result there sir ! Very impressive and i do hope you make it to round 4 ! Sounds like your going to do very well !!!
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    GSXR450
    Stick at it mate, very good results
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Gixxer
    Bloody awsome results for your first round!
    Congrats
    Motorcycing is not a hobby, It is a way of life!

Missed forever! NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
    LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Friends dont let friends ride Hyosungs

Bike
    CBR150 Bucket
    Spectacular debut man. The dirt fraternity seem to do well when they come over to the tarmac. Keep it up.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Awesome first attempt,A moto X rider who backs off at turn 1!!Whats that about??Still atleast that gives you something too work on cause it looks like youve sussed the rest pretty damn fast.Good on you,Keep it up

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Awesome first attempt,A moto X rider who backs off at turn 1!!Whats that about??Still atleast that gives you something too work on cause it looks like youve sussed the rest pretty damn fast.Good on you,Keep it up
    Cheers, Yeah will just keep my elbows out next time! I Know what to expect now. Looking at my times I need to work on being more aggressive on the first lap as I'm losing time here and to be consistant over the whole race.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmWSM View Post
    Cheers, Yeah will just keep my elbows out next time! I Know what to expect now. Looking at my times I need to work on being more aggressive on the first lap as I'm losing time here and to be consistant over the whole race.
    Yeah do a Ben Spies.

I can understand not being too aggressive on the first lap with no tyre warmers.

Great result, especially given your first time.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    Walking
    Yerr Well Done Chap.
    Had no idea it was you making my grab for points difficult.
    Still couldn't pick you out of a crowd, as I couldn't keep close to you for long enough. But I'll be doing my research. trolling the race day pictures to match your race number with the colour of your leathers.
    Yes sir.... there'll be a target painted on your back next round!
    I forsee some good racing to come!
    Racey

Bike
    Several
    Awesome work man, I look foward to racing against you in the rounds to come. Don't woop my arse too hard aye!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    Awesome work man, I look foward to racing against you in the rounds to come. Don't woop my arse too hard aye!
    Hopefully you get your bike sorted in time for next round. Did you find the fault with it?
    I was looking forward to dicing with you so be ready for the 22nd.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Racey Rider View Post
    Yerr Well Done Chap.
    Had no idea it was you making my grab for points difficult.
    Still couldn't pick you out of a crowd, as I couldn't keep close to you for long enough. But I'll be doing my research. trolling the race day pictures to match your race number with the colour of your leathers.
    Yes sir.... there'll be a target painted on your back next round!
    I forsee some good racing to come!
    Racey
    What bike number/ bike were you riding?

Bike
    Walking
    The Blue n white Web Farm bike like in my pic.

Thread Information