Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KTM and Tuneboy - Take Care

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Arrow KTM and Tuneboy - Take Care

This will mostly affect the road bikes, possibly other brands, but I would guess that any KTM that takes a fuel map could be affected.

What have I found out? Well, in the true fashion of male, I found out the hard way. Getting your KTM tuned with Tuneboy can cause you issues with the original KTM equipment. Tuneboy works in such a way that changes to the ECU via normal KTM equipment will be over-ridden by Tuneboy.

Long story short, several services ago, a map from KTM didn't get my 990SM running just right, but the shop had done what it could with what it had available. Rather than a piggy back I didn't really have space for (ie, a PCIII - which wasn't available at the time), I opted for the Tuneboy method.

Had a first tune, somewhat improved, but not there yet. Fast forward to last week, bike goes in for another service, and the workshop can't figure out why, when they run the bike through diagnostics the map has changed and the bike is ignoring some of the changes they make. New software is available, and a new map too, which can't be used.

The major issue for me? I can travel a lot, and if I ran into issues say, in the South Island, a KTM dealer down there wouldn't have much success with the bike, even getting my data sent down from Auckland.

So just be aware that Tuneboy could restrict how much your shop could work with the bike. Once the bike is in one piece again, I'll arrange to have the stuff removed, so the shop can work with the new map etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Check out the PC5, it's teeny tiny.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Check out the PC5, it's teeny tiny.
    If it was available for my bike, it would definitely be an option. Its listed as coming soon.

Which is highly unlikely. The bike has not been released in the US (and there are no plans to at the moment), and despite emailing them re the free PC in return for using the bike as testing (with a partner of their choosing here in NZ), no response, now the website states the bike must be taken to their facility (which is in the States)
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    nun
    leave it alone, stop tu tuing with it...

:slap:

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Gremlin by name, gremlin by nature - why doesn't this surprise me? :slap: I think hes just a glutton for punishment and likes to beat himself senseless against a brick wall while throwing the contents of his wallet down a nearby drain!

Hope it gets sorted so you can actually ride the thing! Its been languishing a while now...
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    leave it alone, stop tu tuing with it...
    I must what? no comprehendo senor All I'm doing (on the engine side) is air filter and exhausts, but struggling to get the fuel mixture right, as european maps and NZ fuel don't work too well together.

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
    Hope it gets sorted so you can actually ride the thing! Its been languishing a while now...
    Been a whole week... once its back together from the other stuff being done, I'll get it down to the dyno to get the Tuneboy stuff removed, then they can upload the new maps etc

Bike
    nun
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I must what? no comprehendo senor All I'm doing (on the engine side) is air filter and exhausts, but struggling to get the fuel mixture right, as european maps and NZ fuel don't work too well together.

Been a whole week... once its back together from the other stuff being done, I'll get it down to the dyno to get the Tuneboy stuff removed, then they can upload the new maps etc
    i took mine to xxx last week or so, for the 15k service. They did a good job of tuning her; making sure the throttle bodies and valves were all in sync.. shes good as gold. i really dont understand why people moan about jerkiness if theyve had it tuned properly. I can wheelie quite easily in first using throttle control.

and i don't know how u spell it but dont the maoris tell u not to tu tu with it... tu tuing..

get ya fat fingers of it and get it tuned...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    i took mine to xxx last week or so, for the 15k service. They did a good job of tuning her; making sure the throttle bodies and valves were all in sync.. shes good as gold. i really dont understand why people moan about jerkiness if theyve had it tuned properly. I can wheelie quite easily in first using throttle control.

and i don't know how u spell it but dont the maoris tell u not to tu tu with it... tu tuing..
    yes yes you gormless english boy, I understand what tutuing is... I don't understand how you CAN'T... I always customise my bikes

The Superduke is easier because its more widely sold, more widely supported and much more common. For some odd reason the SM doesn't sell that well, when those of us that ride them think they're one of the best bikes for NZ conditions.

Bike
    nun
    yes yes you gormless english boy, I understand what tutuing is... I don't understand how you CAN'T... I always customise my bikes

The Superduke is easier because its more widely sold, more widely supported and much more common. For some odd reason the SM doesn't sell that well, when those of us that ride them think they're one of the best bikes for NZ conditions.

there's only 7 of teh R's in teh country.. what you talking about Willis.. this highly refined engine is a thoroughbred not some fookin chook chaser that u need step ladders to mount !!

Bike
    Nada
    shes good as gold. i really dont understand why people moan about jerkiness if theyve had it tuned properly. I can wheelie quite easily in first using throttle control.
    I changed the rear sprocket (+2) on "your" bike Duncy Poohs. Re gearing 'solves' a lot of the snatching issues that most V twins have with OEM gearing. The 1098 was terrible for it...initially.

BTW...gizza going Maori boy!

Bike
    nun
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    I changed the rear sprocket (+2) on "your" bike Duncy Poohs. Re gearing 'solves' a lot of the snatching issues that most V twins have with OEM gearing. The 1098 was terrible for it...initially.

BTW...gizza going Maori boy!

They tell me at the shop that teh boys down the road sent your bike Norf in an attempt to solve the snatch-i-ness issues...

you can have a ride any time ya fookin honkie...

Bike
    Nada

Blah

They tell me at the shop that teh boys down the road sent your bike Norf in an attempt to solve the snatch-i-ness issues...

They must be confused as I bought it from MakzGear down here in Tauranga.
    The good guys at TripleX did do its 12k service though and there was no snatch...just sausage

BTW...you c0nts can't have my toaster!

Bike
    nun

They must be confused as I bought it from MakzGear down here in Tauranga.
    The good guys at TripleX did do its 12k service though and there was no snatch...just sausage

I dont want ya toaster.. i want ya love

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Couple of questions Gremlin.

Why not leave the TuneBoy in place and get someone that knows about it to create a map for the bike?

Also, what else does the TuneBoy allow you to do with the KTM i.e. diagnostics, speedo calibration, rev limiter etc?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    there's only 7 of teh R's in teh country.. what you talking about Willis.. this highly refined engine is a thoroughbred not some fookin chook chaser that u need step ladders to mount !!
    The superduke is sold in the US for one, the SM isn't. Face it, your bike is pretty common. I've seen 1-2 other 990SM.
    piss orf ya homo yamaha loving fag. You don't deserve a ktm toaster
    I dont want ya toaster.. i want ya love
    yeah, boomer wants ya man love, gimme ya toaster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Why not leave the TuneBoy in place and get someone that knows about it to create a map for the bike?

Also, what else does the TuneBoy allow you to do with the KTM i.e. diagnostics, speedo calibration, rev limiter etc?
    Alright, back to the topic at hand. Q1: Thats easy. First up, the tuneboy isn't a piggy back unit like say, a powercommander. Therefore it doesn't have a map for it. Tuneboy modifies the ecu, or more correctly, the settings around the ecu. I have had it tuned, made some difference, but still wasn't where it should be (it was a work in progress).

Q2: the KTM software used to be quite restrictive in adjustments. You could load maps, adjust 0 and full, tilt the map, etc, but not individually set up the points. Only one map was available, and it wasn't a good match (Euro maps don't work well with NZ fuel). So the tuneboy allowed more customisation of the settings within the bike, in theory, offering more features and control over the tune of the bike.

Diagnostics are already done via KTM software, and it gets run through at every service.

Paraphrasing the mechanic (coz I'm way out of my mechanical depth here) if the *insert part* opened at 12.6 volts, and was rich, you could make it open later (or earlier, whatever) so that it was improved... with the Tuneboy. This meant however, it over-rode any settings made via the KTM software.

New KTM software is being released shortly, with more features and another map is available for my bike... but Tuneboy is stopping it from taking effect.

If you want lots of mechanical type details, best to ring Triple X Moto, as they've dealt with it (and spoken to Australia about it too). Any more from me and I will get it wrong, you'll be confused, and it will be a mess

Thread Information