Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First aid kits?

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries

First aid kits?

Two things
    1 Who carries a first aid kit on their bikes? Nothing fancy, just a pressure bandage, a disposable rescussitation mask, and a triangular bandage? These things could save your best mates life.

2 If i put together a cost price one would anyone actually buy one? I will offer it for exactly what it costs to buy the items that i think (based on years of first aid and civil defence training) will be most usefull in a serious accident. I have no idea what it will cost but the hard thing is going to be finding something small enough and waterproof enough to keep it all tidy and sterile? So suggestions for a container please...

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I got an emergency tire repair kit as a gift the other day, probably would fit what you're describing. And yes I'd buy one. To be at the scene of an accident and not being able to do anything would be horrible.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R1madness View Post
    Two things
    1 Who carries a first aid kit on their bikes? Nothing fancy, just a pressure bandage, a disposable rescussitation mask, and a triangular bandage? These things could save your best mates life.

2 If i put together a cost price one would anyone actually buy one? I will offer it for exactly what it costs to buy the items that i think (based on years of first aid and civil defence training) will be most usefull in a serious accident. I have no idea what it will cost but the hard thing is going to be finding something small enough and waterproof enough to keep it all tidy and sterile? So suggestions for a container please...
    We got little automotive first aid kits installed in our work cars. They are quite small, maybe the size of 4 packs of cigarettes? I recall them being reasonably cheap. The car dealer got them installed for us.

So I'd say there is something already on the market which would do the job.

Bike
    The mighty Zephyr
    Blog Entries
    I was on an outdoor first aid course last week actually, and asked the guy in charge about this. He reckoned that for trauma injuries there's very little in a first aid kid that you can't fashion anyway from clothing etc., all you need is the expertise. We talked about the possibility of using body armour in jackets as splints, t-shirts as bandages etc.

I think a first aid kit is useless anyway without the know-how. I'm seriously considering a proper two-day outdoor First aid course, but I think there's a lot to be said for taking even basic training if you go on long rides, it scares me a little to think of being in an accident and nobody knowing what to do (or doing something really stupid)
    has developed a love of big fours. WTF!

Bike
    1999 TRX850K
    Erm yeah.. I have no idea what to do with a first aid kit.. they are useless without the know how I agree.

It would be nice to have the training.

Bike
    Hornet 599
    Blog Entries
    Def worth it but a first aid course is also a great choice. I did my workplace fa and it only cost 160. Good value for money.

Bike
    FJR 1300
    I brought a couple of First Aid kits from mitre 10 a little while ago, they seem to have most things in them, about $20 each, about the size of a toiletry bag.

Bike
    None any more
    First aid kit, puncture repair kit, selection of tools, can of petrol, replacement visor, spark plug, oil, tyre levers, rain jacket, belt, braces. Good grief, we're supposed to be bikers not van drivers.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Honda PC800
    My honest opinion --and NOT wanting to put down the OP. Dont waste ya money on a first aid KIT. Put it towards a first aid COURSE. --as explained earlier theres stuff all in a kit that cant be made from whats around you but the Knowledge --thats invaluable
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Ring ding ding ding....
    If your after first aid stuff that packs down small, check out AIDE systems. Everything is vacuum packed down really small - keeps it sterile too.
    If you ask around a few outdoor stores, you can find places that sell the compression bandages, sterile dressings etc individually. It may be slightly more expensive than the bits you get from a pharmacy, but a lot smaller/lighter.

And the company is NZ owned

I have also done a few different first aid courses, I have found outdoors oriented ones much more informative than workplace ones. Workplace ones are sometimes along the lines of "here is how to put a bandage on... and here is how to call 111"

Also thinking about doing a pre hospital emergency care course....

Bike
    Evo 5
    could be worth it just to save yourself? like on black hawk down how he has his blood type on his helmet. some may think stupid but its gonna help when you need operating on. im not saying put it on your motorbike helmet but somewhere
    Thats whats up.

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    I have a few basic things in a small box under my seat. The box is a tupperware sandwich box - a perfect fit. But I know it wouldn't fit on other bikes. Something that kind of rolls up into a tube is often a better use of space.

In mine I have a few very basic things like those saline things for washing foreign objects out of your eyes. Nothing life-saving, just stuff that might be needed for minor mishaps.
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

The Aprilia has a first aid kit sitting under the rear cowl, it was one my work gave away for xmas present one year. before that it was in the gsxr 1000 tail.

Having something is better than nothing. I know how to use all the stuff in the pack with doing a number of first aid courses over the years.

But one other thing is is making sure you cellphone is fully charged before going riding, and even knowning what road/locataion you are at all times, cause if there is an accident, could you tell 111, where you are located to send people to help.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by R1madness View Post
    Two things

Carry a small kit most of the time...
    http://www.southernrider.co.nz/wiki/.../First_aid_kit

Bike
    Hornet 599
    Blog Entries
    Workplace first aid covers two unit standards and i will definitely save someones life with the stuff i learnt. We even used a motorcycle accident as a scenario. A1 first aid if you're out west Auckland, very good and best price.

Thread Information