Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Pls :( Any gifted mechanics here? (Or hands on car enthusiasts)

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All

Question Help Pls :( Any gifted mechanics here? (Or hands on car enthusiasts)

My 1990 MX5 still has the original roof, which as you could guess has now given up the ghost. It is leaking (haha, what an understatement) where the roof meets the chassis around the boot and sides, up to the doors (hope thats clear enough, ie the bottom of the soft top when in the up position). Now, on the whole, the inside of the car is dry so I'm not complaining about THAT. The problem is that the shape of the roof is funneling the water straight to the join, and down into an unknowen place IN the car, or under the floor, or some-bloody-where...

The fricken annoying thing is, whenever I accelerate or especially brake, there is a torrential flood/rushing of water from the boot to bonnet, or vica versa. Now I don't get wet, I can't feel water but it's bloody annoying.
    Also, I'm too ashamed to take passengers now, as I am rather trivial and it is embarrasing!

SO, what can I do. Any ideas where the body of water is collecting? Otherwise this weekend I'm taking a drill to the bottom of the car, and going fricken nuts, plugging the holes that don't spout water with something suitable.

That, or install a 12" strip of perspex around the bottom of the car, and push goldfish through the gaps, ala Mobile Fish Tank

I'm SOOO tempted to do a Motoracer on the shitmobile at the next KB Rally, or other large gathering.

*EDIT* Oh, can anyone sell me, or suggest where to buy a CHEAP MX5 soft top (or hard top) roof? I know someone on here who has a contact, but that is for a new roof. I'm talking El-Cheapo
    Last edited by StoneChucker; 31st March 2005 at 22:41. Reason: Addition

Bike
    BMW K1200R
    I like the goldfish idea.

Alternatively, is it insured? I saw the remains of two burnt out cars on my ride through Riverhead forest on Wednesday, maybe I could take it off your hands for a sum..
    We're all fucked. I'm fucked. You're fucked. The whole department is fucked. It's the biggest cock-up ever. We're all completely fucked.
    -Sir Richard Mottram

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All
    Quote Originally Posted by paparazzi
    I like the goldfish idea.

Alternatively, is it insured? I saw the remains of two burnt out cars on my ride through Riverhead forest on Wednesday, maybe I could take it off your hands for a sum..
    Of course, I'm an insurance whore! But I'm not into that sort of carry on, I couldn't accept.

Yep, no I'm happy to leave my car parked safely at number......, street... where I know it'll be safe so I leave it unlocked with the keys on the seat. I keep my car like this everyday, especially tomorrow after work, say 5?

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    There are a couple of guys who I go out riding with sometimes early Sunday morning and both are panel beaters. One works in town (I think his name is Garry) and the other bloke, Neil works from home. Neil lives on the opposite side of the inlet from me but I'm not exactly sure where. He's got a full workshop at home and I reckon he'd be able to give you a couple of ideas at the very least - being a top bloke and all.

Come out for 8:30am Sunday morning, he may be out for a ride (rides a ride Honda VFR 800).

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All
    Thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind, if it isn't bloody raining! However, I'm not sure if he'd want to help some stranger out for free (at the moment, got no money for luxuries like car repairs). Might come out for a ride anyway, just to get out
    *EDIT* Oh, have some ideas... Yeah I'll ask him if I come out lol, thanks mate

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    After reading your story again... it doesn't sound to bad. Would definitly need to drill a couple of holes to drain the water out. Find the hole/s which are probably near a seam; an experienced panel beater may know where the problem is already as it could be a common fault with this particular model? Then a quick patch weld, some primer and top coat if necessary. Best get it looked at sooner rather than later to prevent further corrosion, aye.

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All

yeah

I know and you're right. Doesn't it seem like everytime you're about to make financial headway, fate deals you another cruel blow hehehehe. Hey, I suppose it could be worse

I think I might try the Kiwi way first, silicone around the roof. Drill holes in the car floor, patch using something suitable. Then when I have money, buy a second hand soft top (saw on trade-me), have a go at fitting it myself then realise I can't and get someone to do it.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    I might make my way across to Wellington in a week or so for some days off, maybe I can help you then
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    2004 BMW 1200GS
    Hi SC - there are drain holes just at the rear of the door pillars,these go through to the ground and can clog up. Check from below and try poking a wire up them. New roofs turn up on Trademe @ $550 from a guy in Chch - I got one and it is excellent,but a performance to fit. Try also mx5mart.co.nz
    Ross here has all sorts of MX5 gear.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Yup the water is sloshing around inside ya chasis rails (by that I mean the door sills)and probably the bottom of ya doors.I agree with ash wells but also if the car has had a repair the pipes may have pulled away and be funnellling the water into the rails. There may be some rubber bungs down there you can pull out.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    There are bungs in the bottom of the sills. My MX5 did the same thing, you'll be surprised how much water can collect in there.

Claire

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    There are drains just behind the seat belt mounts and from the base of windscreen rubber surround on each side. Make sure they're clear, but don't ram anything sharp through them.
    Check the drains under the sills, make sure they're clear too.. There's also a rain rail at the base of the roof at the rear, but if that was leaking it would piss water into the car.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    But SC, you do realise that it's an MX5, despite its vague resemblance to an Aquada? And that it shouldn't be used as submarine either?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All

Thanks people, you've all been really helpful. I'm going to print this out later, and have a bash at all the suggestions

And Vifferman, my model is registered as "Mazda Eunos Roadster-Aquada". There should be no problem there.

Bike
    None any more
    While I like putting my hands on cars as much as the next person, I am probably not the person you seek...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Thread Information