Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farewell Karol Józef Wojtyła

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All

Farewell Karol Józef Wojtyła

I doubt there would many people who haven't heard by now of the passing of Pope John Paul II. While I am not a religious man as such, and while I also am strongly against a few of his hardline stances on current issues, I do agree with alot of his efforts in areas such as equality, peace and humanitarian issues. Whatever you believe, I'm sure he will be missed by the world.

I have to admit I didn't know alot about the traditions and customs of the Vatican, and it's interesting to see who the cardinals of the world will choose as the next pope at their secret conclave in about 2 weeks.

This is definitely one of those "moments" of one's life which you remember.

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    I heard some commentator on the radio referring to him as perhaps the greatest man of the 20th century. I don't doubt his sincerity or the depth of his faith, but someone who reckoned that allowing people to die of AIDS is a lesser sin than condoning the use of condoms won't get my vote.
    Mourn him as a man who did much good for the world, but be wary of sanctifying him...
    Age is too high a price to pay for maturity

Bike
    1987 Nifty 50
    I'd have to agree with Mike on this one
    "Not one day that we are here on this earth has been promised to us, so make the most of every day as if it was your last, and every breath ,as if it were the same"

Bike
    Sniff... None
    I certainly didn't agree with his beliefs (abortion, contraception, gay marriage) but I do respect him for his courage and conviction to maintain these views as the head of the Catholic church. It is indeed a day of mourning for the world.

Regarding the election of the new pontiff by the college of cardinals, there was a documentary on either Discovery or National Geographic about this that I've seen a couple times now... they lock em up in conclave and the cardinals undergo a secret process resulting in a ballot (or multiple ballots) until the new pope is elected. Theoretically any catholic man (yep - man) is eligible, but traditionally for the last God knows how long it's been a cardinal who is elected. Once the votes are counted the ballots are incinerated, and apparently the colour of the smoke exiting the chimney into St Peter's Sq(?) determines whether a new pope has been elected or whether futher deliberation is required.
    "You, Madboy, are the Uncooked Pork Sausage of Sausage Beasts. With extra herbs."
    - Jim2 c2006

Bike
    big red one, rgv's, kdx's
    The passing of this pope brings about the opportunity for the church to enter this century and allow the use of condoms and recognise gay marriage, not that it will but it may allow some chance for a better future.

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All

I agree

I agree with MikeL, don't argue there one bit

Bike
    Sniff... None
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber020
    The passing of this pope brings about the opportunity for the church to enter this century and allow the use of condoms and recognise gay marriage, not that it will but it may allow some chance for a better future.
    I agree - an excellent opportunity for the church to make a policy shift. But yeah, will it? That doco I saw did say there was some Italian saying which translated literally to fat pope skinny pope or something like that, but it really meant that each pope was completely different from the previous one - so an idea opportunity

But given that my father is a devout catholic, you don't wanna be nearby when the issue of gay marriage is raised... so it will be a battle of conservatives vs liberals. Unfortunately though the older members of the church are the most likely to be conservative, and they're also the most likely to hold the power. You don't see many 30yo cardinals!
    "You, Madboy, are the Uncooked Pork Sausage of Sausage Beasts. With extra herbs."
    - Jim2 c2006

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All
    Another thing to consider, Pope John Paul II ordained almost all of the current cardinals, in his own image. A rather good idea, if you want your beliefs to carry on after you pass away.

Bike
    93 fireblade

Bad taste.. but

Bike
    -
    I hope that the church does take the opportunity to elect a pope that will modernise, to some degree, the catholic church. You've got to move with the times, might even help recruit new priests and encourage more people to join up to the faith.

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMelon
    LoLOLOLOloL!O!!!!LOL!!

The roffle made it so much better!
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    if you have a face afterwards well... that depends how you act...

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    lmao.. tasteless, but funny..

I guess it'll be one of those things to remember, like Princess Di and 9/11 - where were you, and what were you doing?

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    I guess it'll be one of those things to remember...
    Nup. He was on his deathbed for ages. Old men die of old age, it's not very noteworthy.

Princess Di
    It was a Sunday afternoon, our time, wasn't it? I was at the Hollywood Theatre in Avondale, listening to a visiting English organist play the Wurlitzer. The manager came in and interrupted the performance to annouce Di's death. The organist played 'God Save the Queen' and wound up early.

9/11
    Cool, sunny Wednesday morning. Radio Hauraki went off at my bedside as usual at 7am and instead of a few bad jokes and some Led Zep as per usual there was some chick sounding a bit breathless about jetliners being hijacked and flown into buildings. Ran into lounge, watched the CNN feed for over an hour, got to work late.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody mentioned this one, but...
    Frank Sinatra
    Taxi. Evening. Blockhouse Bay Road. News on the radio. Conversation with driver about it.

Funny how we remember stuff, innit.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    lmao.. tasteless, but funny..

I guess it'll be one of those things to remember, like Princess Di and 9/11 - where were you, and what were you doing?
    1) Watching TV, in the lounge
    2) Sleeping, only to be woken with the news
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    if you have a face afterwards well... that depends how you act...

Bike
    None any more
    I have followed this Pope's life with interest -- probably because we shared a birthday and liked skiing. But then I'm a married lapsed-thingee-atheist New Zealander who likes riding motorcycles and he was this celebate Polish Catholic guy who had to be nice to people all the time...

His was an amazing life. But the world will move on.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Thread Information