Thread: Windows 7 - have you tried it?

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Running Win7 RC on two PCs at home.

My games PC - Athlon XP3500, 2GB RAM, XFX 8600GTXXX video
    Gini's laptop - Toshiba Tecra M3 1.6Ghz Pentium M, 1GB RAM GO6200 video

Runs surprisingly well on the laptop.

I've got a copy of the Win7 64bit RTM but haven't installed it yet for obvious reasons.

Definitely runs faster than Solaris 9 on my sparcstation but not sure if its smoother than Tiger on my Mac.

It's prettier than WinXp and definitely runs better than Vista which could hardly run on the laptop.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    I've been running it for more than a month on my home desktop (4GB DDR2, C2D etc, so no idea how resource hoggish it is). Seems okay - except it refuses to run/install a lot of the older games. Weak. Also it persists with Vista's fucking stupid networking system, which is enough to make you put your fist through your monitor.

To be honest, Windows Server 2008 is still my favourite.

Followed by Debian.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    A VERY BIG THUMBS UP to Windows 7!!!

IME Vista is the very worst ever MS-OS.

Bike
    Aprilia Falco, K100 Project
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    A VERY BIG THUMBS UP to Windows 7!!!

IME Vista is the very worst ever MS-OS.
    What!! Worse than Windows ME? That was a huge pile of crap.
    Last edited by madmal64; 12th August 2009 at 21:30. Reason: spelling
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Bike
    Yamaha MT07

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Slicksta View Post
    Lol if i had the money to spend i would buy a Mac book pro but 4 grand just to get a decent GPU is abit excessive.
    you dont have to spend to much money on a mac, you dont need as much power to get the same performance out of the computer and as for the money what you spend buying the computer will be saved on repairs,
    Me and my mate had an argument about it a couple of years ago, so we bought a new computer at the same time, me a pc and him a mac, mine has worked with no errors or repairs and hasnt slowed down even slightly,
    his has been in for repairs to many times to count and got bogged down with virus's alot , and i think hes ended up paying twice as much as i initially did.
    But then he argued that i cant play games on my mac, but I have a Xbox for that lol.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by cambridgedan View Post
    you dont have to spend to much money on a mac, you dont need as much power to get the same performance out of the computer and as for the money what you spend buying the computer will be saved on repairs,
    Me and my mate had an argument about it a couple of years ago, so we bought a new computer at the same time, me a pc and him a mac, mine has worked with no errors or repairs and hasnt slowed down even slightly,
    his has been in for repairs to many times to count and got bogged down with virus's alot , and i think hes ended up paying twice as much as i initially did.
    But then he argued that i cant play games on my mac, but I have a Xbox for that lol.
    I can buy/build a shit hot PC for the cost of a iMac. The MAC build quality argument is B/S - buy a cheap keyboard and mouse tower and display and a PC will "feel" cheap. The Virus argument is a bit thin on the ground - its not that much for antivirus, and there are some good freebies around if you don't want to splash out.

Macs are for people who don't know much about computers
    Linux is for people who know too much about computers
    Windows is for people somewhere in the middle.

Macs are great for a home computer - if my parents/girlfriend wanted a new computer I'd recommend a MAC. I like Ubunutu but there is still a lot of stuff done with CLI that should be GUI'able - like mounting a windows SMB network share path onto the desktop.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Penguinz FTW.
    plus 1

Does have its draw back though

stephen

nuffies is my drawing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dangerlinux.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	137998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evil-look-linux-wallpaper.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	137999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuffies final.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	138000  
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Yeup, been using an eval build in a test environment for several months... haven't had too many issues.

Will start using the RTM shortly...

As for production machines, still only using XP. Even my new desktop for home, Core i7 etc, is using x64 XP SP2.

Win7 is fast, and when you couple it with the new gen of laptops using SSD drives (well, the new SSD drives, not the 1st gen) its going to be a good experience. However, just doing the simple stuff like checking your network adapters requires way too many clicks here there and everywhere, drives you nuts and ruins your productivity.

Looks like the first Win7 machines are going to have downgrade rights to XP... Vista is dead, and the next gen of ME
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by madmal64 View Post
    What!! Worse than Windows ME? That was a huge pile of crap.
    IME - Windows ME was pretty damn good in a vanilla environment.

Bike
    XT
    Yes. It's worth buying

I downloaded a RTM version, activated through bios mod and 7L...

Installing XP again until i can find a legit or untouched copy.. some geek may have fiddled with this copy.. paranoia is a bitch

I fucking hate Vista

Bike
    Suzuki SV650 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    Yes. It's worth buying

I downloaded a RTM version, activated through bios mod and 7L...

Installing XP again until i can find a legit or untouched copy.. some geek may have fiddled with this copy.. paranoia is a bitch

I fucking hate Vista
    If Microsoft had an decency they would give any Vista owner the option of a free (alright thats not going to happen) or discounted upgrade to Win7.
    Vista is the biggest pile of shit since ...yeh Me.........

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherWC View Post
    yep same for me, no hassels at all, very impressed with this one
    Yes, same here. Only I'll reserve judgement, it wouldn't be the first time Micro$oft have gone and killed an OS post the beta/rc phase by adding in DRM, licensing etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Fatbob
    been using the rc for a while, and on the weekend upgraded my lappie to RTM ultimate, and my desktop to RTM enterprise.

Looks pretty sweet so far.

SHame office is suffering tho ( http://blogs.computerworld.com/14532...m_selling_word )

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeqe2000 View Post
    If Microsoft had an decency they would give any Vista owner the option of a free (alright thats not going to happen) or discounted upgrade to Win7.
    Vista is the biggest pile of shit since ...yeh Me.........
    They DO! I think after July 1st any copies of Vista bought are supposed to be upgraded to 7 for free when it becomes available.

I was running Vista Ultimate 64-Bit on a AMDx5400 and 2 gig of memory and it was like lightening for about 2 months, then it started grinding to a halt, blue screen of death every now and then and had all sorts of issues with it taking incorrect snap-shots before adding patches, USB port problems and several other issues i have erased from my memory...

Been using Windows 7 64-bit for a few months now and apart from the odd cosmetic bugs everything's been working well.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Been running it since January on my 24x7 Media PC, super stable and installing is a breeze. Everything Vista should have been. First time I've ever been impressed with an MS OS release and it takes a lot to impress me. The wifes PC is running 2008 Server (coz I'm too lazy to rebuild it every Win7 update) but I'm still running XP on my gaming machine - still a few Win7 issues with games that need sorting before I make the jump on that one.

Skip Vista.

Thread Information