Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 - have you tried it?

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyton View Post
    I still can not test Windows 7 yet It does not support my GfTi4200 and I cant get drivers for it!!! My system is too old

8xAGP Graphics card donations anyone ?
    I might have a couple of VooDoo2 cards lying around...

Although I think Squiggles stole my last AGP card - you could give him a kick and try to purloin it.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    Ducati 900ss The Guido Torpedo
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJafa View Post
    I might have a couple of VooDoo2 cards lying around...

Although I think Squiggles stole my last AGP card - you could give him a kick and try to purloin it.
    This thread is great. Theres been nostalgia, advice and geek slaps a plenty, Mac heads jumpin up and down.

God the good Ol Voodoo GPU, now that was the freakin business in the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	voodoo2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	138165  
    Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire. -Samuel Johnson

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    May as well give this another bump, due to the launch today.

Spent 1.5 hours on Wednesday night installing Windows 7 on my 2007 Toshiba M600 work lappy. I've used the eval on and off, but really more a play than actual work.

The basic install went by pretty easy, it found the partition I had prepped for it (drive split into 3, XP OS, Win7 OS, data) and the dual boot went fine, with 7 actually inserting a "Windows Boot Manager" page just after post recognising it was a dual boot situation.

One oddity (which I swear wasn't the case with XP/2003 etc dual boots) is that when I boot the original OS, XP, the drive is drive C, win7 is drive D and data is drive E (ie, what I set up). When I boot into 7, its OS becomes C and XP becomes D... I swear I haven't seen this before??

Otherwise, the OS itself tootled off and fetched a lot of the hardware drivers I needed, and using it for more than a day now (with no switching to XP) I am surprised to say I am actually enjoying it, and finding it has some useful functions over XP. Quickly viewing open windows without flicking to them is handy, and makes checking on a copy or download clickless. Still missing some hot key functionality from XP, had some games getting VPN to work, but overall, a very pleasant experience.

I'm hardly an early adopter, having specc'd only one Vista laptop for a client and staying with XP since the Vista launch... but errr... well... well done Microsoft
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I've been playing with creating xml file Security templates for 2K8 and Windows 7 and that simple expedient of using a preconfigured xml template for hardening has made my flipping year, I can tell you.

Been doing test deploys in vSphere as well. Windows 7 runs noticeably better in the virtual client space than XP. That was a surprise. Vista was a show pony and could eat your PC resource at just the wrong moment, and at no time would any sane person have suggested using Vista as a Virtual client. Windows 7 seems to have gotten a grip of itself.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

One oddity (which I swear wasn't the case with XP/2003 etc dual boots) is that when I boot the original OS, XP, the drive is drive C, win7 is drive D and data is drive E (ie, what I set up). When I boot into 7, its OS becomes C and XP becomes D... I swear I haven't seen this before??
    Have this same thing dual booting server 2008 and xp on home machine

Bike
    yeah I have that, it did strike me as a little odd at first, but I prefer it this way.
    I only posted this because of the global economic crisis

Bike
    88 GL145, 81 cm400 custom, 03 KLR650a
    Call me crazy but I've been using vista for almost a year and haven't had any problems. It came with the laptop I bought. I quite like it. Still going to buy windows 7 though.

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Haven't done anything more than everyday stuff with W7 so far, been busy with a lot of Hyper-V/Hyper-VR2 and Server 2008/Server 2008R2 virtualisation at the moment.
    Personally, I don't see what all the hoo-haa around 7 is about. There's much more interesting things going on in the server space.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    OK quick query?? When I bought my new 3D CAD machine, not top of the line but OK for trying to not spend a ridiculous amount.
    Core i7 920 2.67GHz o/c to 3.6GHz
    Asus P6T DDR3 1333MHz
    Patriot Viper 6gig DDR3-2000
    2 x GTX275 896mb PCI-e
    1 x EVGA 9500GT PCI
    Coolermaster HAF 22 Case
    NZXT temp & fan controller

I got the free Win 7 upgrade. It takes me a full day to reset my Cad machine up, I don't want to lose that time but want a problem free fast machine. Applies to my laptop as well!

Can I just do an upgrade over Vista or is it best to reformat & do a clean install when going to Win 7.

TIA
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Always do a clean install mate.

You'll get a much better result.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post

Bugger I thought thats what you'd say! Another day down the toilet? Last time it was 6:00pm start 3:30 am finish. OH well it was me that couldn't wait for the new machine till after the release of W7.

Now need a post to tell me all the little switches to activate in Win7 to make it fast as it will go! LOL!!

Hey thanks!! Advice is much appreciated!
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    The only thing that can be said for it is that it is less hoggish than Vista.
    ... you say that like it's a challenge.
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post

Followed by a full backup.
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I got the student licens of win7 bout 6 weeks ago, its a pretty sweet os, loads of nifty features, only problem ive had is with a 32bit version of solidworks, runs alright, but everynow and then it keeps generated error messages when its not running. Also solidcam 32 bit wouldnt install, ill have to upgrade to 64 bit versions of both at some point.

Used it quite a bit for gaming (its got a gtx260m in it) goes pretty hard, and havent had any compatability issues with games.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder View Post
    Followed by a full backup.
    Or taking an image

Thread Information