Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching to a CRF150R

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by courts View Post
    Gasgas make ec125 NOOBI has one.and tm make one too i think....
    yeh mate but are they little like the 85's or the 150r, 150f, 230f thats the catch!

There's a whole bunch of Ladies, teenagers, upgraders from the 150F or 230F tt100 etc that need a real Enduro bike but simply don't fit any other bikes!
    My daughter will be here soon so I suppose I'll be bastardising a KX85 or a CR85 like everyone else.
    Been thread after thread on this someones gonna make a killing if they actually ever make one!!

PS I wonder if a CRF230 engine would go into a crf150R chassis? Now there's an idea. expensive but!!!
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    CRF250R
    Yeah was thinking about the 125 enduro simply for the weight issue im sure it wouldnt be to hard to lower the 125 and the maintenence will be eaiser on the pocket than the 150r
    Even on the old ones if you dont race serious and you wanna just go do the odd club day and smoke everyone on a big old 5hundy it great and if you get beaten you have a handful of excuses

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    there is the KLX140 which is somewhere close to what you talk about,

still electric start, but motor is lower tune than 150r, so no maintence issue, suspension is better than 150F or DRZ/TTR125,s not quite at the 85cc mx bike tho,

Bike
    2014 Gas Gas EC 300
    ttr125 yamaha leccy start but thats probably too small and big displacement drop. reckon 150r is the way to go if you dont mind doing a little work on ya bikes. my wife had a ttr230 and had the same problem when dropping the bike a bit. if i was shopping again for her id get her a 150r (if i could afford it) or 150f just for size -she's5'6".
    Being able to pick up and manhandle your bike when required is a huge advantage.
    Now look what you,ve done .... your mum's upset.

Bike
    2013 KTM200 & Kawasaki Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    there is the KLX140 which is somewhere close to what you talk about,

still electric start, but motor is lower tune than 150r, so no maintence issue, suspension is better than 150F or DRZ/TTR125,s not quite at the 85cc mx bike tho,
    Yeah I have to chip in here! I had a KLX140 before the CRF250! It's not got a lot of power. I rode the CRF230 and found them quite alike, although the CRF had a little more grunt!

Yeah the 85, cool bike! Pity you're not up here! I've put a flywheel on it and getting use to the kick! Come on crfchick, try a 2 stroke. You get use to the power. You're brave enough to be on a dirt bike, you can get aggressive!

I've heard the 150 is like a race bike and is really fast, but needs a lot of maintenance! Sounds like you'd be better off with a 125. They're light and although height will be a problem, get it lowered! You're tall, you're lucky!

Bike
    CRF250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget85 View Post
    Yeah I have to chip in here! I had a KLX140 before the CRF250! It's not got a lot of power. I rode the CRF230 and found them quite alike, although the CRF had a little more grunt!

Yeah the 85, cool bike! Pity you're not up here! I've put a flywheel on it and getting use to the kick! Come on crfchick, try a 2 stroke. You get use to the power. You're brave enough to be on a dirt bike, you can get aggressive!

I've heard the 150 is like a race bike and is really fast, but needs a lot of maintenance! Sounds like you'd be better off with a 125. They're light and although height will be a problem, get it lowered! You're tall, you're lucky!
    Off topic here you went from a crf250 to an 85?..........Can i ask why?
    Even on the old ones if you dont race serious and you wanna just go do the odd club day and smoke everyone on a big old 5hundy it great and if you get beaten you have a handful of excuses

Bike
    2013 KTM200 & Kawasaki Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by vr4king View Post
    Off topic here you went from a crf250 to an 85?..........Can i ask why?
    Yeah the CRF250 was just too heavy, it was 115 kilos. The 85 is 65, I think. I thought the kick start would be a pain, but it's fine! I've put a flywheel weight on the bike to give it more bottom end! Can't really tell the difference, but other people can. I'm getting a FMF muffler and pipe, which is meant to smooth out the power and give more bottom end! I'm only 5 foot half an inch so there's no perfect bike for me.

Bike
    2006 CR250R
    same reason my mrs did.

shes now got a CR85 with pipe, muffler & flywheel weight. for the brief time before getting pregnant that she rode it she loved it, and is very keen to get back on it when she 'recovers'

Bike
    09 KTM 250 Exc
    Noobie rode a xr 100 then a cfr150 then the gg 125
    The gg is a pretty tall bike, I would think too tall for anyone shorter than him , when we first got it , it was too tall for him but his legs have gotten longer ....
    Only other option I considered for him was the kdx200 which IMHO would have been a step backwards

Bike
    CRF250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget85 View Post
    Yeah the CRF250 was just too heavy, it was 115 kilos. The 85 is 65, I think. I thought the kick start would be a pain, but it's fine! I've put a flywheel weight on the bike to give it more bottom end! Can't really tell the difference, but other people can. I'm getting a FMF muffler and pipe, which is meant to smooth out the power and give more bottom end! I'm only 5 foot half an inch so there's no perfect bike for me.

Fair enough then
    Weight was the only reason i didnt get an X too and i did notice a huge diff between the X and the R

Bike
    one with pedals
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post

PS I wonder if a CRF230 engine would go into a crf150R chassis? Now there's an idea. expensive but!!!
    pretty sure it fits in the cr80 chassis have seen a couple for sale on trademe with the xr200 donk .If you did the work your self would be a resonably cheap build
    "The world is a strange sad place. Ride as often as possible and try not to think about it".

Bike
    CR250
    I think that going to a 125 is a terrible idea. Too snappy. 85's are still snappy, but smaller frame which gives more confidence.

If you're happy with the expense of a 150 and the maintenance, I'd go for it.

If you are tempted to a get a 85, get one with a power valve. I think that the Kawa does and the Suzi does? I think to upgrade it to a 100cc, you just need a new barrel???

2 strokes are not scary bikes with massive "power bands" (I hate that term). Try one before you rule it out. You will save alot of money.

Bike
    2006 CR250R
    where can i buy a stronger power band? and do they make them for cr 250s?

Bike
    one with pedals
    Quote Originally Posted by B0000M View Post
    where can i buy a stronger power band? and do they make them for cr 250s?
    go to mitre ten buy all of there bungy cords attatch one end to bike stretch on to tree .......
    "The world is a strange sad place. Ride as often as possible and try not to think about it".

Bike
    some honda bits in a kx chassis
    Quote Originally Posted by tommorth View Post
    go to mitre ten buy all of there bungy cords attatch one end to bike stretch on to tree .......
    no, thats what happens when you close the throttle on a four stroke

Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    I think that going to a 125 is a terrible idea. Too snappy.
    you have obviously never ridden my bike. its about as sedate as a enduro 125 can be there is NO noticeable powerband, no on/off switch power
    also, its much smaller than the ktm seat hight wise. im 5' 7'' with boots, and can put both feet on the ground comfortably. also theres lots of seat to cut out if you wanted more room. and i think koubalink? make lowering links for them
    we may just go where no ones been

Thread Information