Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching to a CRF150R

Bike
    Suzuki RMZ250

Switching to a CRF150R

I’d really love some feedback and info on CRF150R’s (big wheel) please! What are they like to ride? Advantages and disadvantages compared to other bikes, reliability, maintenance, things to watch out, good for trail rides? etc…
    I have been riding for about a year and have a CRF230 but it’s too heavy – especially when I’ve crashed off multiple times! I have read Midget’s post about getting a 150 but I don’t want a 2 stroke (I’m not aggressive enough!). I’m just under 5 foot 6. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!!

Bike
    CRF250R
    A kid who lives down the road from me has one and he hauls serious ass on it makes us guys look like fools

Nice bike id love to get the mrs one but damm they $$$$
    Even on the old ones if you dont race serious and you wanna just go do the odd club day and smoke everyone on a big old 5hundy it great and if you get beaten you have a handful of excuses

Bike
    Suzuki RMZ250
    Quote Originally Posted by vr4king View Post
    A kid who lives down the road from me has one and he hauls serious ass on it makes us guys look like fools

Nice bike id love to get the mrs one but damm they $$$$
    Thanks for the feedback! I know - they are expensive arent they?!! Eek! I'm keeping my eyes on trademe but also considering other options (due to price!)

Bike
    2006 CR250R
    unfortunately your options are seriously limited, its either the CRF150, or one of the 85's (CR / KX / RM / YZ / SX) to the best of my knowledge these are the only bikes in this size bracket that fit into the "serious" category

most of the girls on here seem to be going for 85s.

Bike
    2012 KTM 125sx
    I would say an 85 but note in your 1st post you're not wanting one.
    You've said that you don't ride aggressive enough - i learnt to ride on one so was far from aggressive. They're not as evil as many pple are lead to believe.

Only options i would say are the 150 or a 2t 85. I don't know anything about the CRF150 so not much help.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    In saying the hereunder I haven't ridden a 150r or even tried one but a few thoughts!!!
    I suppose we should look more seriously at the CRF150r Big and small wheel!!!
    We've all been complaining about the lack of choice in a real bike in the short leg or short in experience bracket!
    Honda may have made one for us and we still go off an buy 85's, try and mod them and put up with their less than perfect power delivery for trail riding. Or is this wrong??

Maybe if we supported this bracket others would enter into it!! Like an 85exc or a 125exc small wheel!! Pity its a bloody four stroke but in saying that I bought the heavy old CRF150F for my girl because it had the power that would be best for her even if I have to get off and lift it every time she falls off!
    150R is still 18kg heavier than a 85 but 24kg lighter than the 150f. 833mm or 866mm seat height is good! Honda make good bikes??

Maybe this CRF150r deserves more attention. I've heard the gearboxes are a bit suss and do they need as much maintenance as say a 250r? Depends on the rider I suppose would you get 100+ hours outa one trail riding? I'd forgo the electric start if the rest fitted well or am I completly wrong are they really an MX bike!! I've heard they are all go or stop even for a four stroke and no good for enduro with the same frequent oil changes and cham maintenance etc???
    Any other opinions to help crfchick??

Edit: Was talking to the local Honda dealer and he said MX bike all the way! 4 hour oil changes, Hi performance maintenance and MX power delivery! Apparently they go like a cut cat!
    So bugger it! Still a big hole in the market!!

Still be good for you to try one out CRF chick and give us your feedback though??
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Suzuki RMZ250
    Thanks for your ideas guys! And for the info Reckless! You've given me a lot to think about - yeah I really want something that is reliable and good for trail rides but without the weight of the CRF230! I dont mind forgoing the electric start if it means its lighter.
    I did wonder how much maintenance the 150R's require compared with the 230, and interesting point you make Reckless about the gear boxes being a bit suss - anyone else heard of problems like this?
    Thanks again!

Bike
    2006 CR250R
    the 1500r is a high strung race bike and therefore requires race maintenance, the 230 is almost a farmbike, so could get away with almost farm bike maintenance.

the 85s need to be maintained, the 150s id say would be even more maintenance intensive due to the amount of small moving parts moving really really fast.

go for a ride on an 85, theyre not as bad as everone who DOESNT have one says they are. also flywheel weights make a big difference on an 85

Bike
    '07 YZ125
    Agreed with B0000M. Not to sound like a broken record, but the kx100s another option, just throwing it out there.

Bike
    2006 CR250R
    yea and the hundys, from what i saw though they are few and far between

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    the 150r's rev higher than a 250F, so they would need similar if not slightly more maintence, any of the 85's would be a good option, they are very light and can be detuned to take the edge out of the power band, alot of people use them for trail riding,

Bike
    Suzuki RMZ250
    Oooh, a "high strung race bike"? Hmmm. Smooth power or is it all or nothing? I totally love my 230 but its just the damn weight of the thing!
    Are the 85's quite little though? Just from what I've heard from Midget (I know you LOVE your bike though Midget!!) I dont think a 2t would suit me.
    I need to "bring out the inner mongrel" as buffstar wrote yesterday about the dead tadpole!
    The only other thing I thought about was a 250 without all the mod-cons (no elec start etc) but dont think this would save on much weight???

Bike
    CRF250R
    yeah they are lighter but as i have found out not suited to short inseams and they are alot harder to kick over then the ol 2ts,I dont think a 250f is the answer here

do KTM make a 125 enduro 2t?
    Even on the old ones if you dont race serious and you wanna just go do the odd club day and smoke everyone on a big old 5hundy it great and if you get beaten you have a handful of excuses

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Yes they do 125exc but its got a 985mm seat height 60mm taller than my 200exc at 925mm?? Far to tall for 99% of the people looking in this bracket!
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    2014 Gas Gas EC 300
    yeah they are lighter but as i have found out not suited to short inseams and they are alot harder to kick over then the ol 2ts,I dont think a 250f is the answer here

Gasgas make ec125 NOOBI has one.and tm make one too i think....
    Now look what you,ve done .... your mum's upset.

Thread Information