Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got some wheels for the DR650

Bike
    Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Advance Motorcycles in Sth Dunedin have at least one rim maybe the full set of 250 Bandit wheels like the ones I use and got adapted. Was thinking about getting a second set for slicks but money as always the problem. GJS engineering will quote you for adapting them if you tell them what you got as they did a great job on mine.
    They have a front 2.15 x 17 ,which looks a bit skinny (and Gary agrees) also a rear off a Honda 4.0 X17. How do these sizes fit with your wheels? Had a look at the pics of your conversion. Very classy!
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike
    Sounds a bit small. Ask Gary W he may know the size for sure but I think they are a 3.5 inch front and a 4.0 rear. You can squeeze a 120/60 17 front and a 160/60-17 rear(with a bit of knife work). That works well for the track but feels a bit indifferent around town. Rolls into slow corners like a boat without a keel if you can imagine that. For non racing I prefer a 110 and 150 combo.

Bike
    Gone
    Cheers. Sounds like the rear will be ok, comes with disc (no mention of sprocket tho.) Still leaves the 3.5 front to match. No rush tho as funds are an issue with house renovations etc. Quite keen on the Back of Beyond to get some gravel miles in the interim. Any recommendations on that?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
    Cheers. Sounds like the rear will be ok, comes with disc (no mention of sprocket tho.) Still leaves the 3.5 front to match. No rush tho as funds are an issue with house renovations etc. Quite keen on the Back of Beyond to get some gravel miles in the interim. Any recommendations on that?
    Not from me, I am a noobie when it comes to adventure riding. If you look at the last OMCC newsletter it has some info on the BOB and the contact is Noel H. Best talk to someone who knows.

Bike
    Designa Yello 2004 DR 650
    Well my tard wheels are leaving Auckland today and should be in New Zealand within the next coupla days!!

Can't wait to see what I need to do to get going and onto the track.

cold comfort, I will be on the back and beyond, Holmesy just sent the email with all the details, should be a great fun blast.
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Bike
    Gone
    Excellent, look forward to it- prob won't be able to keep up judging by your track battles with Gazbur and your video of your jaunt to Rasp Flat but will have fun trying. No joy with the motard rims as yet (can't match the rear, and the front's too small) so if you hear of a complete set let me know.

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    Excellent, look forward to it- prob won't be able to keep up judging by your track battles with Gazbur and your video of your jaunt to Rasp Flat but will have fun trying. No joy with the motard rims as yet (can't match the rear, and the front's too small) so if you hear of a complete set let me know.

Don at Pit Lane here in Chch has a set of GSX250R (3.5 fnt, 4.5 rear) wheels with disc, sprocket carrier, axles, spacers and i think they may have had calipers. $600ish was the figure he was talking about.

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    Gone
    Hey Buddah #81. Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately they are 750 wheels (prob why they are more expensive) Not sure how they would go.

Bike
    so if you hear of a complete set let me know.
    Will do cold comfort, got a lead this avo which I will follow through and let ya know.

Well Xmas cam early today and my wheels arrived

$24 to get them from Auckland into New Zealand and down to Wanaka, I was quote $80.00 by another crowd!

GaZBur, not long now mate, will have a play tomorrow morning as to fitment and spacers etc.

Tyres are

Rear 150/16 -17 Metzeler Rennsport

Front 110/17 - 17 Gettar F004RR ??, never heard of this, does anyone know?

Front disc is 10 mm too big so I will have to machine that down, came with a 225mm dia rear disc and a brand new 250mm rear disc, 250mm might fit but might need 5 mm prunned off.

Has bearings etc but I suspect they will be too small in the ID but time will tell.

These are them and a close up of the front rubber, anyone can tell me anything useful about the front tyre then lemme know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG8194.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	139758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG8195.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	139759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0219.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	139760  
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstaman View Post
    Will do cold comfort, got a lead this avo which I will follow through and let ya know.

Well Xmas cam early today and my wheels arrived

$24 to get them from Auckland into New Zealand and down to Wanaka, I was quote $80.00 by another crowd!

GaZBur, not long now mate, will have a play tomorrow morning as to fitment and spacers etc.

Tyres are

Rear 150/16 -17 Metzeler Rennsport

Front 110/17 - 17 Gettar F004RR ??, never heard of this, does anyone know?

Front disc is 10 mm too big so I will have to machine that down, came with a 225mm dia rear disc and a brand new 250mm rear disc, 250mm might fit but might need 5 mm prunned off.

Has bearings etc but I suspect they will be too small in the ID but time will tell.

These are them and a close up of the front rubber, anyone can tell me anything useful about the front tyre then lemme know.
    i dont know what it is but i wouldnt track it...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    i dont know what it is but i wouldnt track it...
    Hmm ,yeah I am wondering eh, it feels firmish, I might take it for a quick road ride before taking it off to see how it holds and if it heats up ok or not and more to the point if it sticks.

I have a super soggy slick to put on so not too worried, just don't wonna waste a tyre with good tread.

It is made by Yokohama, looked on the internet sites but still can't find anything so it could very well be quite old as well.... (note hard aged rubber)
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com

Bike
    Hey Monstaman, just trying to figure what the weather doing for Sunday at Teretonga.
    http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forec...zsi&noofdays=5
    Looks like it should be dry but too early to tell temperatures.
    I am taking slicks down but will probably stick to GPRa's if it is cold.
    Got a spare set of GPRa if you a bit iffy about slicks in the cold and I will bring them down. Just let me know.

Bike
    Heya Garry, not sure if we are gonna make it yet bugga it... as long as the high doesn't get under cut by the next front we should be sweet.

Needed some special bearings for the front wheel to meet the 42 OD x 17 ID required which have been ordered but seemingly they are coming from different ends of the country.

Have machined the LHS rear spacer and the rear disc, bought 4 new countersunk cap bolts and will be countersinking the rear disc to suit this morning, then finish off the RHS spacer.

Turning down the front disc this avo from 310 to 290 so it will fit straight in.

Can't make any front wheel spacers until my new bearings arrive so catch 22 and it is getting a bit narrow timing wise as the new bearings probably won't be here until tomorrow

Soon as I get the bearings it should be all go (dependent on the lathe being free too) so fingers crossed with caution.

Scored a preloved 3000 k old 120/70-17 Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa pro which
    will replace the old front tyre, seems that Chinsing bought out Yokohama some 10 years ago so the front tyre would be at least that old so it is a gone burger now.

All go and trying to get there, the front bearing supply has been a setback tho, never mind we won't be far off motoring again.
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com

Bike

Front Wheel

Hi Andi
    Here are the pics of the front as promised. The spacers are 25mm each, same for both sides. The disk should line up perfect. The spacers actually look like cut offs from some galvanised pipe.
    It doesnt matter if the rear disk doesn't line up exactly the same as the pistons can float a fair distance but the front doesn't have much margin for error.
    Had a ball at Teretonga on Sunday. It was cold but the track was dry for a change and lots of grip.
    GaZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontAxleL.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	141047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontAxleR.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	141048  

Bike
    Heya GaZ

Mint .... cheers for that, my bearings arrive again today so tonight might just get busy!!!

I have my middle bearing spacer finished and the two outer spacers bored and ready, just gotta prune them off to length .. now I can!

Glad to hear the track was wet, windy, cold and not worth going as I would have felt I missed out

One last Q?, have you cut your side stand down at all?

Rear end all finished and in, took her down the street yesterday and everything is saweet but I do have to bed in the nice shiny new disc so one road to trip to Makas will sort that out and give me a feel for the bike on roadies.
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com

Thread Information