Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got some wheels for the DR650

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstaman View Post
    Heya GaZ

One last Q?, have you cut your side stand down at all?
    Yep. At about 50mm from memory - unless you can find a hill to park it on every time you stop! I understand Suzuki sell shorter stands but they are expensive for what they are. I have the knobs on now with the short stand and it leans over quite a bit but not ridiclously.

Bike
    Designa Yello 2004 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Yep. At about 50mm from memory - unless you can find a hill to park it on every time you stop! I understand Suzuki sell shorter stands but they are expensive for what they are. I have the knobs on now with the short stand and it leans over quite a bit but not ridiclously.
    Sweet, thanks man, I have lowered mine a bit (37 mm front and rear) being longitudinally challenged

Do you run out of ground clearance with your tard wheels on?
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Bike
    Do you run out of ground clearance with your tard wheels on?
    I wound my preload up but the arse still drops when the G-force comes in on cornering as I have the standard soft shock. Now that I have slicks on the plastic sliders under my pegs are taking a pounding. I lean the bike until the pegs lift then have to shift my arse off. The peg sliding is a good indicator as that is where the rear is about to run off the edge. The pick shows the Esses at Levels - not a lot of distance to grounding the bolts that hold the pegs on and there are corners that are taken at a bigger lean but they have never ground except on edge strips, and I don't advise that!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lean.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	141331  

Bike
    Cool cheers for that, yeah grinding hard parts is not a good thing for traction that is for sure.

Well I finished mine today and took her for a quick 5 min spin, all is good and I will take her out later in the week to get used to her.

Pruned 40 mm off my stand to start with, still sits up a bit level but not bad but with the adv wheels on it should be fine which it will have most of the time.

My front spacers are 27 mm LHS and 19 mm RHS as my hub had been machined for a WR450, no biggy as she is all in and done ... now I just gotta get my arse to track and stump up with some half reasonable riding

So cost in the end

$400.00 wheels and tyres compete with discs
    $24.00 freight
    $32.62 bearings
    $456.62 total cost up and running choooice

Name:	CIMG8266.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	141333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG8267.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	141334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG8268.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	141335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG8269.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	141336  
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Bike
    ..... last ones

Name:	CIMG8270.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	141339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG8271.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	141340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG8272.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	141341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG8273.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	141342  
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com

Bike
    Woohoo looks good! Just don't park it next to mine as mine is starting to look a bit - worn in comparrison.
    Sexy gold wheels will fit right in with all the rich dudes with thier $1300 Gold Excel rims. You have a cool set of wheels at a ridiculously low price. If you ever decide to sell them - let me know first eh?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Sexy gold wheels will fit right in with all the rich dudes with thier $1300 Gold Excel rims.
    Well ... ahem ...didn't realize I was bein trendy. .. I shoulda cleaned them but I couldn't wait to put up the finished pics.

Yeah pretty pleased with the cost as is the social team, nearly setup which is well cool.

At least your bike has "I have used it marks", mine is still in the poofy "I have just made it group" but that will change, I will however avoid tarseal applied cosmetic enhancements if I can.

Need to get my crash bungs / skatey wheels too, if you have any closeups of yours please put a pic up as well.
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com

Bike
    Gone
    Finally got some rims from Bucketsn'Bits (Auck) A ittle more than i had hoped but complete with carriers, sprocket etc. Checked the sizing with Gaz and dropped them off to GJS for some machining. Would have been keen on the Levels "have a go" day but not enough time to put it all tgether. (Also told i'm not allowed on a track until i have walked the Routeburn with she who allows me two bikes!)
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    03 Tuono Racing,MotoFXR F4,DT175
    ... for a bit of track fun.

Bought the DR650 a coupla months ago for adventure biking and a bit of track, I really had a great hoon at Teratonga on my Hypermotard but decided rather than grind that to pieces I would do it on something a little cheaper just in case the unthinkable happens.

So I bought some GSX 250 rims, with tyres and discs, coupla spacers, will still need to do a bit of machining and probably replace the bearings then good to go.

Will never be up there with the top but for me it is about the grin factor and having a thrash on the track without worrying too much.

Will only be a few weeks before I get it all set up then game on!.
    Quote Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
    Finally got some rims from Bucketsn'Bits (Auck) A ittle more than i had hoped but complete with carriers, sprocket etc. Checked the sizing with Gaz and dropped them off to GJS for some machining. Would have been keen on the Levels "have a go" day but not enough time to put it all tgether. (Also told i'm not allowed on a track until i have walked the Routeburn with she who allows me two bikes!)
    Soo envious of you guys!!.....really looking forward to seeing you at Levels....

My youngest boy is incredibly keen on us sorting my old DR for racing..watch this space!!an ageing mum & her son tearing around on buckets & a DR!!

gaZBur is the inspiration!!track & street racing is a huge amount of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeteey View Post
    You're very welcome darling. I do maintain that you could ride a rock and it would go quick!

Bike
    '08 DR650
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528221 Have about the same invested in my set at the moment

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528221 Have about the same invested in my set at the moment
    Did you buy them Sqiggles?, they are well cool.
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Did you buy them Sqiggles?, they are well cool.
    Nah i've got all the excel bits from Procycle, rear hub is the last piece of the puzzle for me (i think)

Thread Information