Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: How to get a deregistered bike on the road

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by akoni View Post
    hi guys

i saw a brand new bike in japan motorshop which is not available in NZ.
    i want to import it here, i already contacted a shipper japan to auckland for $750

my question is,
    which one is better to import in terms of easier to road reg here in nz

BRAND NEW bike from japan motorshop dealer?
    or
    USED LOW MILEAGE from japan with registration papers already?

cause ive read that here in NZ it needs to have a dereg paper from japan before you can register it here.
    but what if its a brand new bike from japan? fresh from dealer there zero mileage and ship directly here in NZ.

which one is better guys to import?
    (note this motorbike model is not available here in NZ)
    Probably a little late now. But here goes: DO NOT PRIVATELY IMPORT A NEW/USED BIKE OF A MODEL THAT HAS NEVER BEEN SOLD IN NZ!! Every road worthy bike must be approved for NZ use. This is a costly (and often frustrating) exercise. Stick to models that have already been approved for NZ roads and your life will be so much better!

Someone else will have the info, but there are often small things that a bike from Japan (that is a model already OK'd for NZ use) needs to have done to be OK'd for NZ roads. This can be done without loosing your sanity.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cammy View Post
    Hi,
    I'm after some info if anyone is in the know
    re: getting a bike Vined and registered for the first time in NZ.
    I've bought second hand a trail bike, that I'd like to get on the road.
    It's a KTM 450 EXC with all the road kit, just it hasn't had any Rego since
    it was new.
    I was told I need a Distribution Certificate from the KTM Dristributor but not sure
    who they would be.

Cheers,
    cammy
    You are looking for KTM NZ: http://www.ktm.com/nz/contact-folder/contact/

As long as the bike was imported to NZ (they will have that info/those papers) you are half way there. Your KTM 450 EXC is road legal in NZ.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    Probably a little late now. But here goes: DO NOT PRIVATELY IMPORT A NEW/USED BIKE OF A MODEL THAT HAS NEVER BEEN SOLD IN NZ!! Every road worthy bike must be approved for NZ use. This is a costly (and often frustrating) exercise. Stick to models that have already been approved for NZ roads and your life will be so much better!

Someone else will have the info, but there are often small things that a bike from Japan (that is a model already OK'd for NZ use) needs to have done to be OK'd for NZ roads. This can be done without loosing your sanity.
    Oh fuckedy fuck. So getting my ex Japan, ex UK, CRM on the road WILL be a nightmare? Arse.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Oh fuckedy fuck. So getting my ex Japan, ex UK, CRM on the road WILL be a nightmare? Arse.
    I take that this means a Honda CRM. A dual purpose bike. As they have been imported to NZ by the Honda agent and there are ones on the road here, it should not be a major problem. The problem arises when bringing in an orphan that is the first one in NZ.

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    As long as you have the de-reg cert from Japan you are sweet

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    I take that this means a Honda CRM. A dual purpose bike. As they have been imported to NZ by the Honda agent and there are ones on the road here, it should not be a major problem. The problem arises when bringing in an orphan that is the first one in NZ.
    This must be easier than having a totally custom made bike made compliant right?
    Can I scream?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggo View Post
    As long as you have the de-reg cert from Japan you are sweet

Ex Japan, no. Ex UK yes, with quite a few years of DVLC history, too.

My reluctance to start the process stems from the horror stories I've heard. A guy locally imported his 750 Africa Twin from the UK and ended up having to completely strip the bike to remedy some "rust" that had been spotted on the frame. The Honda CRM 250R has been trail ridden and the bottom frame rails show it.. I'm not in a position for a motor out re-build should some jobs worth dictate it and the bike is otherwise in very good nick for it's vintage.

Still, it would make an excellent motard for my local nadgery.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Harris View Post
    A simple thing to do, is get the Bike a pre registration Vin Number warrent check done, this proves the bike is legal for nz roads, and then take that to your vin agent
    How / where can I do this pre registration Vin Number check?

Can anyone recommend someone who has half a brain, can engage it, and works with you rather than against you? I need to get 2 bikes entry certified. I brought them home with me from OZ. I have all the paperwork. VTNZ / VINZ / AA want me to leave the bikes there for a day and a half for them to do their 1 hour inspection. I'm not leaving the bikes there unattended to get stolen abused / ridden / damaged. The bikes are rare / valuable, and parts are a nightmare in the case some dickhead inspector damages something.

If it they make it too hard, I'll just put them in the garage for 2 years so I don't have to pay GST, and then sell them to overseas.
    Last edited by MGST; 17th January 2017 at 21:12. Reason: Spelling

Bike
    Griso 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Life is easier when you have the right form aye...

Hopefully anyone needing one in the future finds a PDF attached here.

Have never touched drum brakes so will be good to learn something new when measuring the rear.
    Does anyone have an example of a completed brake deceleration form? The form you need to complete is for "brake repair" and not explicitly for the re-registration process (I don't need to replace or repair the brakes).

Do I just it fill it in as it I were replacing all the components with used ones (ie the ones that are on there already?) plus explicitly state the discs are within manufactures tolerances?

Thanks for any info, would be handy to save $100 for 5 minutes work and a using a pair of calipers.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Brake declaration is a very simple document. I had a mechanic do it, but I believe you can measure and write it out yourself.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9c...ew?usp=sharing

Bike
    Griso 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Brake declaration is a very simple document. I had a mechanic do it, but I believe you can measure and write it out yourself.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9c...ew?usp=sharing
    Thanks Mike,

That helps, although it is a completely different form to one listed by Tazz, anyone know if it has been updated?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    This is the NZTA one ... Not difficult to understand what to write in the spaces provided ...

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....eclaration.pdf

Interesting reading here ...

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...results-27211/
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    Not sure what bikes they are, but if they were made before 1990 i believe you don't have to worry about the brake form. I didn't need to do it for my 1989 ZXR250 when I had it re-registered. It may be different if you are registering it in NZ for the first time.

I took mine to VINZ in Mt Wellington and had no issues. They just kept it for the one day for re-registration. I chose them because I had a very good experience with VINZ in chch a few years ago with getting a car re-registered. Won't ever take any vehicle to VTNZ again after a number of bad experiences at various branches.

Bike
    Griso 1100
    For those with the ability and desire to carry out the inspection yourself here is the nzta procedure you need to follow

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.n...specifications

or pdf:

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.n...ifications.pdf

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_ View Post
    Thanks Mike,

That helps, although it is a completely different form to one listed by Tazz, anyone know if it has been updated?
    If unsure I think you need to do what I did, which is go and ask the branch you will be taking the bike to what they want/need from you =)

Thread Information