Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: How to get a deregistered bike on the road

Bike
    92 Honda NT650 V

Rereg

All the helpful info I read here assumes you have some sort of history for your bike. I have just bought a 1967 Triumph. The guy bought it as boxes of bits from the previous owner. Neither the guy I bought it off or the previous 2 owners ever had plates or papers. It was bought as a frame a and parts as a Conrod had let go and smashed the original cases. So I have no way to prove the vehicle was previously registered in NZ. The guy 2 owners ago got some second hand cases for it but never got around to assembling it, nor did the guy I bought it off. As far as I can ascertain the bike has been in bits for well over 20 years.
    So, where do I start.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
    So, where do I start.
    with the frame number
    =mjc=

Bike
    2016 Zero SR

Confused about measurement requirements

Had a search of the forum (and some general googling) but couldn't find an answer, so am posting my question here as it seems the most logical place.

Looking at the VIRMS for motorcycle repair certification some measurements are required. What is the difference between figure 10-2-2 "Steering head angle measurement" and figure 10-2-3 "Front wheel castor angle measurement"? Not sure if it's the beer talking but the measurements appear to be identical? Could someone ELI5 please?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Olmy View Post
    Had a search of the forum (and some general googling) but couldn't find an answer, so am posting my question here as it seems the most logical place.

Looking at the VIRMS for motorcycle repair certification some measurements are required. What is the difference between figure 10-2-2 "Steering head angle measurement" and figure 10-2-3 "Front wheel castor angle measurement"? Not sure if it's the beer talking but the measurements appear to be identical? Could someone ELI5 please?
    If the triple clamp has an offset between the top and bottom yoke, the the angles of the steering head and the caster could be different. Could be a way of raking the forks out (ie like a chopper, in conjunction with longer fork tubes) or going the other way to quicken the steering, without cutting and welding the frame.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2016 Zero SR
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    If the triple clamp has an offset between the top and bottom yoke, the the angles of the steering head and the caster could be different. Could be a way of raking the forks out (ie like a chopper, in conjunction with longer fork tubes) or going the other way to quicken the steering, without cutting and welding the frame.
    Ohhh! Thanks! I (think I?) get it now. So the castor angle and steering head angle would be different when the forks are not parallel with the steering head/stem? (And therefore identical angles when forks and stem are parallel?)

Something just clicked in my brain. Is that a common configuration? I can see why choppers would require it, or there would be some hilarious arm movements to swing the handlebars to turn. But for other styles? Are there any performance or maintenance advantages to running non parallel?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Look mate. Choppers are cool and not to be referred to as hilarious. Very serious and dangerous men ride such beasts. Everyone is watching and very impressed.

Loud pipes save lives.

In the wind righteous bro.

Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information