Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a deregistered bike on the road

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    I have vinned one bike I brought with me from overseas, and another I bought and put on the road here - my current bike. It is 1982 and they made me get the brake cert even though I protested at the time - thanks for clarifying it. They do not understand their own rules ... the English, I mean.
    I have only put x New Zealand de rego bikes from time lapsed rego so the rules that applied for mine may not apply for a fresh import.
    Bike shop told me that the reason cut off was 91 was that information for after 91 bike min discs was avaliable and pre 91 was not always avaliable.
    most bikes after 91 came with wear limits on the factory disc.
    i just bought new EBC discs for my race bike and they had min wear limits with them.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    I have vinned one bike I brought with me from overseas, and another I bought and put on the road here - my current bike. It is 1982 and they made me get the brake cert even though I protested at the time - thanks for clarifying it. They do not understand their own rules ... the English, I mean.
    Thanks for reminding me. Brake cert wise yep a fresh import is treated as a NEW bike.-ill ammend the post
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Is there anything else that could be usefull here guys.
    It looks like a lot of work but it isn't really
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2006,Kawasaki,er6f
    I've just got a Yamaha SR250 1980 just back on the road. i was luckly enough to have the plate on the bike. this bike was last rego in 1996 and put on hold till 2003 where it expired. I took it into a VTNZ which I was told they need the bike for the whole day. Cost was $145. the person who does the bike doesn't start till 9.00am At 9:20am I get a call to say its done and Passed and I can pick it up. that was Quick. Takes longer for a normal rego on my car LOL. Then Paid for 6 months rego, that cost $225 with the my new licence plate.. I even still have my old one.
    Very easy

Bike
    HD Sporty, 65 BSA A65
    Hi. Does anyone have any info about returning a restored vintage to the road? Specifically regarding previous history. I have an old frame that was pulled from a shed with completely unknown history which I am building from scratch. Its a triumph and is of '63- '70 vintage, and most likely would have come into the country when new.
    Aside from checking that its not stolen, what else am I supposed to do? Does anyone keep registration records of the frame number?
    Wilco's Man & Machine
    For Hooligans & Gentlemen

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    Hi. Does anyone have any info about returning a restored vintage to the road? Specifically regarding previous history. I have an old frame that was pulled from a shed with completely unknown history which I am building from scratch. Its a triumph and is of '63- '70 vintage, and most likely would have come into the country when new.
    Aside from checking that its not stolen, what else am I supposed to do? Does anyone keep registration records of the frame number?
    I did a bit of resurch when I was considering a oldy restore and came up with you need to get proof of date of manufacture.this only needs to be interweb photos of same model etc that are dated or specs sheets with photos including date of manufacture.Then you will need to get the chasis number police checked for thieft history.Any other plate history helps but not necessary thens it off to VTNZ as per revin process.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    HD Sporty, 65 BSA A65
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I did a bit of resurch when I was considering a oldy restore and came up with you need to get proof of date of manufacture.this only needs to be interweb photos of same model etc that are dated or specs sheets with photos including date of manufacture.Then you will need to get the chasis number police checked for thieft history.Any other plate history helps but not necessary thens it off to VTNZ as per revin process.
    Great thanks mossy! That helps a lot. I did a bit of ringing around and no one seemed to know what to do, at least I have a starting point now. Cheers.
    Wilco's Man & Machine
    For Hooligans & Gentlemen

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    Great thanks mossy! That helps a lot. I did a bit of ringing around and no one seemed to know what to do, at least I have a starting point now. Cheers.
    Don't stuff around with "anyone" give Alex Gee a yell.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    So, mossy1200, do you have a copy of the brake cert. form you can scan and post? :-)

I'm trying to re-register an FXR150 for my son to ride and I've about jumped through enough hoops for one day - I want to thump someone, preferable someone in a suit....

*EDIT* Don't worry - got one from the good folk at VINZ... thanks anyway... :-)

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSXR-750
    Thanks for the info. Might be needing it soon
    My posts look empty without a signature.

Bike
    XT660r
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty595 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Might be needing it soon
    MVX got no live plates mate

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSXR-750
    Quote Originally Posted by RDjase View Post
    MVX got no live plates mate
    Nah got some old plates but has been sitting for ages so will need to be revinned
    My posts look empty without a signature.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I may be able to add a bit to this.

I've just re-registered my scooter, which is 125cc so therefore classified as a motorbike. It came with no plates and papers so I had no idea of it's previous history.

The process was more or less as described except for proof of age and fitness for use on the road, which can be done through the vintage car club. Any vehicle more than 29 years is an eligible vehicle and you can either join the club and get it for free or pay $75. There is a form to fill out with all the details, take a couple of photos and send it off. There may be an inspection required but not in my case as I knew the guy doing it and he'd already seen the thing, once this is done they issue you with a vehicle authenticity statement.

Take this with proof of ownership, police check form, drop it off at the VTNZ shop for a day and it comes out legal, in my case for about $270ish as it's over 40 years old.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Honda PC800
    WORD OF WARNING FOLKS---- A structural engineer CAN if he so chooses insist on seeing the bike PRE accident repair.
    There is a suggestion that this will be enforced in future.

The intent of this has little to do with bikes but is to do with the recent dramatic increase in the number of accident deregistered cars being "repaired' and put back on the road. It has become economically viable to do so thanks to the gubbiments insistance on all fresh imports being of a specification that passes the 2000 emission laws.
    Reregistered cars don't have to pass this law.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    I may be able to add a bit to this.

I've just re-registered my scooter, which is 125cc so therefore classified as a motorbike. It came with no plates and papers so I had no idea of it's previous history.

The process was more or less as described except for proof of age and fitness for use on the road, which can be done through the vintage car club. Any vehicle more than 29 years is an eligible vehicle and you can either join the club and get it for free or pay $75. There is a form to fill out with all the details, take a couple of photos and send it off. There may be an inspection required but not in my case as I knew the guy doing it and he'd already seen the thing, once this is done they issue you with a vehicle authenticity statement.

Take this with proof of ownership, police check form, drop it off at the VTNZ shop for a day and it comes out legal, in my case for about $270ish as it's over 40 years old.
    Thanks for that. This applies to all "classic" vehicles. -vehicles over 25 years old that were registered in New Zealand

Thread Information