Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a deregistered bike on the road

Bike
    RGV250 VJ21, VFR400R NC30
    Yeah I've got the plate but I don't have any proof of ownership... Paperwork got lost in the ether. Any ideas where I can get a copy of that information?

edit: Called LSTA, they can send proof of ownership. Why didnt I think of that in the first place.. derp.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I have a deregistered Moto Guzz V50 Monza and I rang up VTNZ Sylvia Park, he said if its got a plate and a vin tag and I have a sale doc good to go no need for JP/Police letter.....but needs a brake check test by bike shop, I said was that not just post 1991 and he said all deregistered bikes.
    I read earlier I could get the form and measure myself, I have micrometers. Any ideas on the Brake bit?
    cheers
    John
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I have certified my own brakes twice now.Interesting thing is that all you need is the form(ask bike shop for one).The law with cert is that the calipers must be measured by competent person.This does not mean it has to be bike shop.You must list the min disc spec wear limit and measure with calipers.Then record your results and sign form.Be aware that false declaration is not advised cause they look at the brakes when doing warrent.
    Also bikes pre 1991 do not require brake declaration at all.

VTNZ charged me $320 dollars for the last one I did(note rego has risen since then).This figure included 6months rego and new plate and warrent of fitness.This was on a lapsed expired plate bike with vin number only.
    There was no pre inspection at $300.
    All the inspection is part of warrent which gets done at same time.
    Crash damage bikes need further inspections.
    Thanks for that intresting point though why is it when my badley accident damaged vfr 750 i fixed repaired myself . i passed no problems

but the cbr 900rr with very mild faring damage because its lasped if its coorect what u say techincally it need bigger inspection

I know my lasped mx5 it was going need inspection where take nee hour or so inspection

but in general it just be more time spent id thought not taking thing to bits.

but in reality the black bike didnt need it only because of rego doesint make any sence to me other than extra income return.

i doubt have time to take bike to bits to check the frame all over .i look at it common sence to make sure you bike safe.

I noticed well , me and local parts guy the top triple clamp id striped ally had very small surface crack undeneth .

It whould not fhave we both agreed as where it was it was very well supported casting.

my bike the forks where actually sheared of on left side but didnt have any cracks in the frame which remarkable

testmony to how strong the frames on the vfr 750 are 1992.

The fork tube wasint just broken on one side it was only held on by the fork spring and metal been extruded

And stretched out on the break.whould take some force to do that.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I have a deregistered Moto Guzz V50 Monza and I rang up VTNZ Sylvia Park, he said if its got a plate and a vin tag and I have a sale doc good to go no need for JP/Police letter.....but needs a brake check test by bike shop, I said was that not just post 1991 and he said all deregistered bikes.
    I read earlier I could get the form and measure myself, I have micrometers. Any ideas on the Brake bit?
    cheers
    John
    hi john i noticed on ebay auction from seller motofix i deal with they had set brake rotors for my model cbr 900rr and listed good

discs plenty meat left 3.5mm i notiched where thinner than vfr 750 ones and thought shit must be worn out

But looked in service manually haynes i think good to go . dont qoute me on 3.5 i just going by vaugue memory just example

do serch on ebay for rotors they may mention the specs in the describtion . i never had problems with one time brought

Replacment rotors for vfr 750 and they passed .(second hand used) mind you guzzi be cast irom whouldint they say they last forever.

once brake a little bit u get rid that nasty rust ;-) mind you do guzzi need brakes hehe

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    who knows about the procedure to get a NEW ZEALAND built chassis package bike vinned and registered?
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Let me get in on this, I've got a bike here in me shed which I put back together myself - never been registered in NZ and there is no history of it in NZ.. I bought the new frame ex Europe and the other bits came from a wrecked bike (I still have the wrecked bikes chassis but no number plate etc only a bill of sale from prev owner which is just scribbled on some pad paper and signed.

as it sits now it looks tidy and clean, everything is new on it, pads, discs, tyres, all bearings etc etc, no damage, everything works everything looks new.

All I want is to pay rego and pay wof and enjoy it.. being caught up in some crazy red tape or just people on the phone and at VINZ telling me different stories and basically telling me its not possible to register..

its a shame, I still ride it.. and yet to get in trouble on it.. but I have no problem with paying rego and getting wofs - more than happy to do it.. if only the govt would let me!

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    who knows about the procedure to get a NEW ZEALAND built chassis package bike vinned and registered?
    any vehicle certifier.

Bike
    05 iHornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    Let me get in on this,...- more than happy to do it.. if only the govt would let me!
    According to NZ law the Frame is the bike.
    You say the replacement frame came from Europe. VTNZ would need to see certificates from Europe that it is not stolen and a record of purchase and being imported into NZ. Then you have a chance of VTNZ VINing it and getting Rego & WOF.
    If you dont have those documents it isnt going to happen.

Consider the old frame. Since you have a Bill Of Sale being proof of ownership you could get this Certified and Reg/WOF apart from its prob bent or rusted or worse.
    But if it was together you have the legal paper trail VTNZ require.

I will suggest some other options in a PM

Bike
    NC30 VFR400
    Make sure the title doesn't contain the words salvage or wreck.
    That adds a repair cert to your list, and that's a pain in the rear.

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    How you fix it is up to you provided its repaired in a tradesman like and safe manner. It pays to do your sums -sometimes its better to replace the part thats bent --as long as its not the frame WARNING replaceing a swingarm can end up being a frustrating waste of effort. A second hand swingarm is likely from a damaged bike so might be as bent as th one you removed.
    Once its fixed you need to call the engineer who will reinspect the bike to make sure its straight.
    Once he is all happy he will issue you with his engineers report saying the bike is straight.
    Out or curiosity, is there any time limit on this bit?

So do you have to complete the repairs within 28 days, 3 months or some arbitrary length of time?

Does the engineer recheck the whole bike or only the things you failed on?
    Can I scream?

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave- View Post
    Out or curiosity, is there any time limit on this bit?

So do you have to complete the repairs within 28 days, 3 months or some arbitrary length of time?

Does the engineer recheck the whole bike or only the things you failed on?
    I believe the re cert inspection recheck is within 28 days in any case, regardless of the reason for failure.

Sent from my iShit using Tapatalk

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielM8 View Post
    I believe the re cert inspection recheck is within 28 days in any case, regardless of the reason for failure.

Sent from my iShit using Tapatalk
    that's the re-cert inspection, but I'm asking about the re-evaluation by the engineer.
    Can I scream?

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Let me get in on this, I've got a bike here in me shed which I put back together myself - never been registered in NZ and there is no history of it in NZ.. I bought the new frame ex Europe and the other bits came from a wrecked bike (I still have the wrecked bikes chassis but no number plate etc only a bill of sale from prev owner which is just scribbled on some pad paper and signed.

as it sits now it looks tidy and clean, everything is new on it, pads, discs, tyres, all bearings etc etc, no damage, everything works everything looks new.

All I want is to pay rego and pay wof and enjoy it.. being caught up in some crazy red tape or just people on the phone and at VINZ telling me different stories and basically telling me its not possible to register..

its a shame, I still ride it.. and yet to get in trouble on it.. but I have no problem with paying rego and getting wofs - more than happy to do it.. if only the govt would let me!
    I understand your pain, Fast Eddie - the whole system is completely mired in bureaucracy. While I understand the WHY of all of this (keeping stolen cars off the system etc) I just don't agree that the system has been well considered. It also makes the concept of bespoke vehicles like yours untenable, which is sad.

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I understand your pain, Fast Eddie - the whole system is completely mired in bureaucracy. While I understand the WHY of all of this (keeping stolen cars off the system etc) I just don't agree that the system has been well considered. It also makes the concept of bespoke vehicles like yours untenable, which is sad.
    I know.. I keep the bike in the hope maybe one day it will happen.

Only suggestions that may work that I have had include a bit of cut and welding to swap chassis/vin numbers - which doesn't appeal to me haha. c'est la vie

Bike
    Exercycle
    I know.. I keep the bike in the hope maybe one day it will happen.

Only suggestions that may work that I have had include a bit of cut and welding to swap chassis/vin numbers - which doesn't appeal to me haha. c'est la vie
    Let wobbly know you have an unregisterable Aprilia....Next time he builds one of his Yam/prilla specials from a NZ registered bike, arrange a frame swap....

Thread Information