Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a deregistered bike on the road

Bike
    pushy
    Alrighty,

I've a receipt from the last "Owner" (Not registered owner..) I know the bike isn't stolen/of interest to police (they verbally told me). So I'll call a few different VTNZ's tomorrow.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_attack View Post

Apparently no one has ever received a written declaration from the Police stating a motorcycle is of no interest to them.

Thanks,
    Bollocks. Wellington central has done it for me 3 times and they even had a statement form premade that they entered details and signed. No cost and they did it one the spot took 5 mins to check the old plate and chasis details and finished.

Last one I did was 2 years ago so as others have suggested VTNZ may check the details now.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Bollocks. Wellington central has done it for me 3 times and they even had a statement form premade that they entered details and signed. No cost and they did it one the spot took 5 mins to check the old plate and chasis details and finished.

Last one I did was 2 years ago so as others have suggested VTNZ may check the details now.
    It is no longer required as ... (as some have already found) Police no longer make such written statements ...

My advise though ... is to ASK them anyway. Better to find out sooner than later.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    pushy
    Roger that,

I figured I'd just walked into the wrong place. I find it impossible to believe there's no recourse for a vehicle who's last "registered" owners details have been lost over time. IE: there must be a solution, a relatively simple one.

As I said, I DO have a receipt of purchase from the fellow I purchased it from, though he wasn't the registered owner, likely just an owner from a long-ish list of owners after the bike was deregistered. It's just the hoops to jump through that're frustrating. It's like being stuck in some cycle of dealing with folk who should know, but don't and they just brush you off to the next agency, and of course you have to walk in there, you get nothing over the phone.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_attack View Post
    Roger that,

I figured I'd just walked into the wrong place. I find it impossible to believe there's no recourse for a vehicle who's last "registered" owners details have been lost over time. IE: there must be a solution, a relatively simple one.

As I said, I DO have a receipt of purchase from the fellow I purchased it from, though he wasn't the registered owner, likely just an owner from a long-ish list of owners after the bike was deregistered. It's just the hoops to jump through that're frustrating. It's like being stuck in some cycle of dealing with folk who should know, but don't and they just brush you off to the next agency, and of course you have to walk in there, you get nothing over the phone.
    Assuming

1. The bike wasn't deregistered because it was crashed (if it was you have more hoops to jump through)
    2. That is was once registered in NZ (if it wasn't eg an immigrant's bike brought in in a container, you have a whole world of hassle, and it may not be worth it)

If it was once registered and you still have the plates, it's pretty easy. If you don't have the plates it's not a biggie, it will still be in that LANDATA system. No plates can get messy for older bikes (< 1980s), which were originally paper records. But it would be wise to try to find out why it was deregistered.

The police are no longer in the loop. That has been replaced by a statutory declaration (i.e. they've gone back to the old way).

Here is an excerpt from the VIRM

1.2 Entitlement to register

The following documents may be used as proof of a clear ownership trail for a vehicle undergoing the re-registration process:

a signed receipt from the last registered owner
    an original buyer tax invoice from some auction organisations as detailed in Reference material 69)
    a signed statutory declaration. Note that there is no set format, but a statutory declaration must include the following statements:
    1. ‘Solemnly and sincerely declare/affirm that’, and

2. ‘I make this solemn declaration conscientiously declaring the same to be true and by virtue of the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957’.

In all cases the person presenting the vehicle for re-registration must be the person listed on the supplied documentation and the following information must also be listed:

the vehicle’s make, model, VIN/chassis number
    date of purchase
    Name and address of seller (in the case of a Turners Auctions invoice, the Turners Auctions letterhead is acceptable).
    Some (maybe not all) VTNZ have a standard template they will give you . It's not an official form, just a convenience, so it may vary from VTNZ to VTNZ and some may not have one. VTNZ Cavendish Drive in Manukau has one (and they are helpful and sensible). If I can figure out why the office scanner isn't working I’ll post up a scan of their one.

It’s pretty simple. You fill it in, don’t sign it, then find a JP and sign it in front of him. Your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau can put you in touch with a JP, most have one along at least one evening a week.

It’s post 1991 (Presumably) so you’ll need to take your brakes into a bike shop and get a brake declaration (They’ll have a form , or VTNZ will give you one). In theory you can do it yourself, might be pushing it.
    Then take all your documentation (all of it) and the bike to the VTNZ. Up to you if you ride it or trailer it, VTNZ probably don’t care, the cop who stops you on the way may care
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    pushy
    Heyya,

Nah, 1981 CB400N. Just fell out of rego through regular lapsing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0069.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	309401

Rang Sylvia Park VTNZ today. I'll need statutory Declaration signed by JP. I have the form and will sort that at Auckland Central Library on Saturday arvo. So I asked the Woman about 3 times and the stat declaration and my License is all I'll need as far as that side goes. Unsure whether I'll need a brake declaration so dropped into Red Baron and got the form the other day anyway, and will go through that assuming I WILL have to. Doesn't seem a bad idea to turn up prepared anyway.

I'll stitch some indicators into it over the next couple weeks and check/repack/replace bearings and give it a general cleanup. It's not too untidy really, EconoHonda has sorted me a sweet and tidy seat. Apart from the seat and the missing lugs on the side-covers it seems fairly tight and solid. I don't see too many issues as far as road-worthiness goes.

I think I'm pretty well sorted. I'll update this with my own experience here in Auckland once it's all done. I was following the directions outlined in the first post, though the Police route seems to be a dead-end, at least here where I am anyway. This is basically the go to link when googling "reregistering motorcycle NZ" though the initial post is a little dated.

Bike
    Anyone have a source of the brake declaration form on line?

I can only find these three, but none of them seem to have the right wording to me (I don't need to replace anything), or do I just fill out the 'brake repair declaration' form, list the thickness of the discs and that's that?

It doesn't specifically say you need the thickness, but it seems to be part of the point of the whole exercise so that's what's thrown me.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....tion-templates

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    The bike shop did mine for me

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    "I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage.
    They've experienced pain and brought jewelry." - Rita Rudner
    A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Anyone have a source of the brake declaration form on line?

I can only find these three, but none of them seem to have the right wording to me (I don't need to replace anything), or do I just fill out the 'brake repair declaration' form, list the thickness of the discs and that's that?

It doesn't specifically say you need the thickness, but it seems to be part of the point of the whole exercise so that's what's thrown me.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....tion-templates

If it is all as per manufactured, it is fine. If lines are after market, the need to be the ones with the new accepted code on them
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    A simple thing to do, is get the Bike a pre registration Vin Number warrent check done, this proves the bike is legal for nz roads, and then take that to your vin agent
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Harris View Post
    A simple thing to do, is get the Bike a pre registration Vin Number warrent check done, this proves the bike is legal for nz roads, and then take that to your vin agent
    Not a bad idea, common sense would say to do that...but, just wanting to avoid the costs as I've bought the bike to make money off (if that is ever possible ). It's just a lapsed rego, not a build project.

Mossy has done it himself a few times by the looks so will flick him a message.

Looking at it again it seems a bit more straight forward.

Bike
    Life is easier when you have the right form aye...

Hopefully anyone needing one in the future finds a PDF attached here.

Have never touched drum brakes so will be good to learn something new when measuring the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake-repair-declaration.pdf  

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Life is easier when you have the right form aye...

Hopefully anyone needing one in the future finds a PDF attached here.

Have never touched drum brakes so will be good to learn something new when measuring the rear.

To easy then
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    yamaha 135cc
    hi guys

i saw a brand new bike in japan motorshop which is not available in NZ.
    i want to import it here, i already contacted a shipper japan to auckland for $750

my question is,
    which one is better to import in terms of easier to road reg here in nz

BRAND NEW bike from japan motorshop dealer?
    or
    USED LOW MILEAGE from japan with registration papers already?

cause ive read that here in NZ it needs to have a dereg paper from japan before you can register it here.
    but what if its a brand new bike from japan? fresh from dealer there zero mileage and ship directly here in NZ.

which one is better guys to import?
    (note this motorbike model is not available here in NZ)

Bike
    1998 HONDA VFR800
    Hi,
    I'm after some info if anyone is in the know
    re: getting a bike Vined and registered for the first time in NZ.
    I've bought second hand a trail bike, that I'd like to get on the road.
    It's a KTM 450 EXC with all the road kit, just it hasn't had any Rego since
    it was new.
    I was told I need a Distribution Certificate from the KTM Dristributor but not sure
    who they would be.

Cheers,
    cammy

Thread Information