Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: How to get a deregistered bike on the road

Bike
    Suzuki GN 125

Unregistered race bike import

Hi members, I am new to your site and wondered if you could help, please.
    I have bought an imported race bike, unregistered, and would like to re-build it/ re-assemble it onto another frame of the same make and model.
    Can I do this legally and what needs to be done. The bike is a 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 and is in running order as it is.
    All help and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Hi members, I am new to your site and wondered if you could help, please.
    I have bought an imported race bike, unregistered, and would like to re-build it/ re-assemble it onto another frame of the same make and model.
    Can I do this legally and what needs to be done. The bike is a 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 and is in running order as it is.
    All help and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Do you have a specific question? You've only asked if it's legal to build a motorcycle - of course it is. Are you wanting to register the bike at the end of it? Registration follows the frame - does your donor frame have a rego? Whatever you're looking to do, it's unlikely to be smart or cost-effective on a 1999 R6.

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    The best way to go would be to get a straight frame from a bike that has been registered in New Zealand and the rego has either lapsed or is on hold. The key would be to get one that has not been deregistered due to being written off, because then you need to pay a repair certifier to inspect it.

Then obviously transfer everything across to the new frame and get the bike re-registered.

One more thing to look out for, when you take it to vinz or wherever to re-register it they will want to see proof that the bike was previously registered in New Zealand and that you are the legal owner of the bike. So when you get the doner bike ask for the old plates, registration label and ownership papers if possible. Then also write up a basic sale and purchase agreement and get the seller to sign it.

Bike
    Suzuki GN 125
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Do you have a specific question? You've only asked if it's legal to build a motorcycle - of course it is. Are you wanting to register the bike at the end of it? Registration follows the frame - does your donor frame have a rego? Whatever you're looking to do, it's unlikely to be smart or cost-effective on a 1999 R6.
    Hi Mike, yeah I didn't make that too clear did I ... but you have. Thanks. I have a working race bike and want to get it registered for road use. I have purchased another frame and want to transfer everything over.
    I just need to get proof of (past) ownership now and get to work. Thanks again.

Bike
    Suzuki GN 125
    Quote Originally Posted by mangere View Post
    The best way to go would be to get a straight frame from a bike that has been registered in New Zealand and the rego has either lapsed or is on hold. The key would be to get one that has not been deregistered due to being written off, because then you need to pay a repair certifier to inspect it.

Then obviously transfer everything across to the new frame and get the bike re-registered.

One more thing to look out for, when you take it to vinz or wherever to re-register it they will want to see proof that the bike was previously registered in New Zealand and that you are the legal owner of the bike. So when you get the doner bike ask for the old plates, registration label and ownership papers if possible. Then also write up a basic sale and purchase agreement and get the seller to sign it.
    Thanks Scooter Boy, all clear now. Cheers

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries

Post GN 250 from written off back on the road

The ones here who have been through the process, the ones who have read all that is in this brilliant thread and the ones who already know it all will learn very little from what you read in my post. But for the ones who are a little lost and confused or in the process of going down this road I hope I can shine some light on your struggle.

A few years ago I picked up a 2005 Suzuki GN from Turners damaged vehicle department. It was advertised on Trade Me. I was told the bikes plates had been handed in by Turners (as they do with most bikes that have even minor damage). I won the auction for $505. "A bargain" I was thinking.

* Mistake 1. I did not check the reason the bike had been de-registered and what was entered in the records online.

- Purchase Cost $505

I had sold some stuff to Hamilton and Auckland (deals included delivery) so I picked up the bike at the same time.

- Pickup cost $0

I put the bike in my shed with the intention to get it sorted tomorrow. Tomorrow became next month... next month became next year.

* Mistake 2. I never took any pics of the bike showing what state it was in when I got it.

I had promised the bike all sorted and on the road to someone and so I, at last, got stuck in.
    First thing I did was to check the status of the registration. I found out that the bike was a NZ new bike (not imported s/h from Japan). I was also told by VTNZ that getting it back on the road was no problem. "Just bring it in, we do the check and paperwork and you be on the road".

* Mistake 3. I did not get a printout of the bikes status confirming what I had been told.

I then purchased the parts that I needed to get her back on the road:

- 4 x indicators (I found them at the local Suzuki shop. Much tidier black ones than the hideous silver ones the GN's are fitted with. There were 2 issues: The indicators I got (all 4 for $10) were from farm bikes (farmers often don't want/need them so they are not installed). The bulbs were for a 6volt system and were a smaller version that no bike shop seems to carry in 12v version. I found right size 12v ones on TM. Issue 1 solved! Issue 2: They did not have the 'e' marking that is required for a license/rego check. But I decided to chance it...

- Cost for indicators $10
    - Cost for bulbs $12

I also needed a straight set of s/h handlebars ($30) and both side covers ($70 for 2)

- Cost for hadlebars and side covers $100

I spent a couple w/e's sorting all including clear laquering the tank after I had carefully tidied it up ready for paint (there was no dents). I used a rattle can and it turned out surprisingly well! I did some straightening of bits, but found no problems with frame, swing arm, forks or wheels! I fitted a set of mirrors I had lying around and after some final polishing she was ready. (I had expected that I would have to replace the battery, but it was in OK nick, so I left it in! I did an oil change and replaced oil and airfilter.

- Rattle can of clear $14
    - Cost for oil and filters $80

I went to a JP and signed the declaration re where I bought the bike. (Needed if you do not have a invoice/receipt from the purchase (no, a hand written from a random seller will not do...)

I also filled in the Brake form and signed it.

So we were, at last, ready for a new licensing and rego plate! I took the GN in to VTNZ, gave them the signed forms (as above) expecting them to do a check, re-register her and give me a WOF... After charging me $179 for a relicensing/rego check and WOF they told me that the bike needed an engineers report as the GN had been written of by the insurance company...

- Cost $179

I was given the contact details for the only approved engineer to do the work in Napier. I spoke with him on the phone and dropped the bike off to where he does the work. Took him 2 weeks to do the job and the charge was $230. Luckily the bike was OK and needed no structural work. (He requested pictures from before I started the work on the bike, but I had none. That was a little of a problem he told me... I then offered to bring the bits I had changed, so I took indicators, the one old side covers and bent handlebars. I also wrote a detailed record of what I had done to the bike and left it on the bike). I was expecting to hear from him, but 2 weeks later I heard from the accounts lady who told me to pick up the bike. I did.

- Cost $230

Next day I took the bike back to VTNZ where the process was now simple. Give the engineers report, fill in paperwork to enter bike in register and I was given the new plates and the WOF. I also had to pay 6 months rego. All up $270 (as I had paid for the check before, this was for the plate and 6 months rego.

- Cost $270

So the "brilliant deal" had now cost me all up $1,400

A working older GN250 that is 'on the road' tends to go for between $800 - $1,500. You can pay more for a later model one or one that is in exeptionally good nick.

What would I do different next time:
    Here:
    1. I would make sure I knew the status of the bike (written off, de-regoed, lapsed or all legal for road). This would heavily affect the price I would pay. No way would I pay $1,400 for this bike if I had the plan of re-selling for a small profit. But if I was looking for a decent bike for someone I knew then yes, I would consider it.
    2. If I today purchased the same bike for the same price I would wreck the bike and sell for parts. I estimate that would have been approx $1.500 giving me $1.000 profit with much less hassle!!

But hey, I know the bike, I know she is OK and I am happy to give her to someone I care about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapshot - 212.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	337188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapshot - 213.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	337189

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    I have a 2008 KTM530. The VIN is in the system but it has never been registered in NZ and it is an Australian import. I have a receipt from the previous owner and the police say they have no interest in the vehicle. No other documentation. Should I continue to try to get it registered or am I going to waste my $$$ and hit a brick wall? I have vinned two previous bikes but neither were this tricky. Any advice appreciated. Would be good to get this road legal so I can ride to some off road trails nearby.

PS The police told me they no longer do written statements of no interest, but they told me the vinning people could/would check if they needed to.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    I have a 2008 KTM530. The VIN is in the system but it has never been registered in NZ and it is an Australian import. I have a receipt from the previous owner and the police say they have no interest in the vehicle. No other documentation. Should I continue to try to get it registered or am I going to waste my $$$ and hit a brick wall? I have vinned two previous bikes but neither were this tricky. Any advice appreciated. Would be good to get this road legal so I can ride to some off road trails nearby.

PS The police told me they no longer do written statements of no interest, but they told me the vinning people could/would check if they needed to.
    You will need proof of previous registration in Australia and an audit trail back to the last registered owner . Or apply for alternate documents which can have mixed success

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by biggo View Post
    You will need proof of previous registration in Australia and an audit trail back to the last registered owner . Or apply for alternate documents which can have mixed success
    OK - shall look into it. But the VIN is in the NZ system somehow, which must be a good thing.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    My KTM530 VIN appears in a Carjam search. NZ new - but never been registered. Better than I thought as the previous owner told me he thought it was imported from Australia - maybe he got confused with Austria - ha ha.

Police say not stolen, as does Carjam, no money owing etc.

Looking good to proceed with the vinning process, once I sort out a few things. Shall order top end kit, new wheel bearings, brake master cylinders ... n such like.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    My KTM530 VIN appears in a Carjam search. NZ new - but never been registered. Better than I thought as the previous owner told me he thought it was imported from Australia - maybe he got confused with Austria - ha ha.

Police say not stolen, as does Carjam, no money owing etc.

Looking good to proceed with the vinning process, once I sort out a few things. Shall order top end kit, new wheel bearings, brake master cylinders ... n such like.
    Did you get the bike on the road?

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    1997 honda cg125
    just a few questions
    1. how can i get previous owner details or current owner details?
    2. since i'm assuming this bike bounced around with no papers. (my uncle brought it for a couple hundred and didn't do any paperwork.) do you think its still possible to get ownership papers and re-registered?
    3.i have the frame number and engine number how can i find out the history and number plate fo the bike when last registerd.
    i emailed blue wing honda and got this reply "It was then sold to our dealer Pink and Collison on the 28th September 1982." and they had o other records of it.

Bike
    motocompo
    Go to AA 3rd Avenue & see Andrew.
    He will tell you what is required at this level.
    There is a form you take to the court house, a declaration of sorts that you & a court registrar both sign to state that it's not stolen.
    A rego number helps vastly.
    Is there an old wof label inside the side cover or some other random place they stuck them in the past?
    You will also need a brake declaration form from them to fill out.
    You need to measure the brake drum diameter & brake shoe wear & provide information proving the original diameter etc, showing max wear limits.
    That kind of info is usually in a Haynes manual or probably online now.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy96 View Post
    just a few questions
    1. how can i get previous owner details or current owner details?
    2. since i'm assuming this bike bounced around with no papers. (my uncle brought it for a couple hundred and didn't do any paperwork.) do you think its still possible to get ownership papers and re-registered?
    3.i have the frame number and engine number how can i find out the history and number plate fo the bike when last registerd.
    i emailed blue wing honda and got this reply "It was then sold to our dealer Pink and Collison on the 28th September 1982." and they had o other records of it.
    what is it, a big four, they were popular in those days

Bike
    1997 honda cg125
    thanks for the reply sidecar bob. will be doing that once were down a few more levels.

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what is it, a big four, they were popular in those days
    its 1982 cg125 honda. tiny little bit

Thread Information