Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a deregistered bike on the road

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki EL250
    Blog Entries
    I have a 1982 Yamaha XJ750 that I am rebuilding, have been looking into the registration status and it says it has "lapsed" so what do I need to do to get it back on the road?? (other than putting it back together in the first place )
    Distributor of Uncle Garrys cushions for Uncle Flips Kickers (or should that be knickers?!?)

Cleverly disguised as an adult! D.N.B.W and newly est Grease Monkey

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhoenix View Post
    I have a 1982 Yamaha XJ750 that I am rebuilding, have been looking into the registration status and it says it has "lapsed" so what do I need to do to get it back on the road?? (other than putting it back together in the first place )
    You're half way there in the fact that you can look up the rego number, it's on the system so there's no drama with re-registration. Basically you have to take it to VTNZ/AA/VINZ with proof of ownership or a declaration that it's not of interest to the police, pay your money for a recertification check and you leave with a wof and new plate.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki EL250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    You're half way there in the fact that you can look up the rego number, it's on the system so there's no drama with re-registration. Basically you have to take it to VTNZ/AA/VINZ with proof of ownership or a declaration that it's not of interest to the police, pay your money for a recertification check and you leave with a wof and new plate.
    Cheers for that Neels! What places in Chch do the recertification check??
    Last edited by KiwiPhoenix; 3rd November 2010 at 12:47. Reason: can't spell!
    Distributor of Uncle Garrys cushions for Uncle Flips Kickers (or should that be knickers?!?)

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhoenix View Post
    Cheers for that Neels! What places in Chch do the recertification check??
    Closest to you would be VINZ at the airport, probably pay to pop in and have a chat with them about what you need to do, and book in for a day when the motorbike man will be there.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki EL250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Closest to you would be VINZ at the airport, probably pay to pop in and have a chat with them about what you need to do, and book in for a day when the motorbike man will be there.
    Didn't know that there was one out this way!! Shows how much I know Bike isn't quite ready to be done as yet, but definitely handy to know what I need to know! Bike is still in bits!

Bike
    Belladonna RV 150

Wellington frame cert....

Any of you guys had a frame checked by Deane in Wellington? I gave him a call about a bike with a bent front end I'm trying to get back on the road and from what I gathered from him I would have to pay a bike shop $300-$400 to "get it ready", then $300-$400 for a cert. I contacted Boyles Kawasaki and they said it usually cost around $250 "for all the paperwork" then they call in Deane. When I asked if Deane would then charge on top they said "thats up to him". Anyone gone through this process in Welli? I see poorbastard did but I'm too fresh here to PM him. Did I misunderstand or is it possible it will cost me $800 to get a frame cert on a scooter?

Bike
    a blue one

Vehicle destroyed or become permanently useless

when i carjam my bike im looking at revinning it comes up with Vehicle destroyed or become permanently useless.does this mean i will have to get a engineers report?

Bike
    1912 Grindley Peerless
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikeman1 View Post
    when i carjam my bike im looking at revinning it comes up with Vehicle destroyed or become permanently useless.does this mean i will have to get a engineers report?
    I have seen that once and it was on a bike that had the frame numbers filed off. there's no way to prove a link with a numberless bike and any documents or numberplates you may have, they could have come from anywhere.
    you will struggle with it i reckon, but give vinz or any other compliance place a call for a second opinion.
    the bike i saw got wrecked for parts.

Bike
    1912 Grindley Peerless
    Quote Originally Posted by tig5 View Post
    Any of you guys had a frame checked by Deane in Wellington? I gave him a call about a bike with a bent front end I'm trying to get back on the road and from what I gathered from him I would have to pay a bike shop $300-$400 to "get it ready", then $300-$400 for a cert. I contacted Boyles Kawasaki and they said it usually cost around $250 "for all the paperwork" then they call in Deane. When I asked if Deane would then charge on top they said "thats up to him". Anyone gone through this process in Welli? I see poorbastard did but I'm too fresh here to PM him. Did I misunderstand or is it possible it will cost me $800 to get a frame cert on a scooter?
    what capacity is the scooter? if it's a 50 you don't need anything on it at all, as crazy as it sounds you can make a bike at home out of cardboard toilet roll tubes and as long as it's smaller that 50cc you can register it in the post shop without an inspection and drive on the road with all the trucks and other traffic.

Bike
    77 XL250
    Hmmm. Toilet roll tubes and a tiny motor you say... I feel a cunning plan taking shape.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    2003 CBR 954
    hey does anyone know where i can get a brake decleration form? and if i can do it myself?

Bike
    KTM 530EXC-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    I got a bike last week and was given us for free, so we had no ownership papers or anything. It had been de registered for at least 3 years. i just went into the aa and got a vehicle licnesing form, filled it out took it back in with proof of identity and they gave me 6 months rego and a new number plate. I thought it would be alot harder than that but it was really easy.
    FYI I'm trying to re-registered a DRZ400E that was deregistered 6 years ago, and this trick did not work for me.

So I rang VTNZ who told me I needed a proof of ownership (letter from previous registered owner) and a brake declaration, so I paid $45 to the local Suzuki dealer and got it done this morning.

However, three days ago I had emailed NZTA asking if I actually needed a brake declaration as the bike was previously registered and it was not mentioned on their "Five Steps to Re-register a vehicle" checklist. I got sick of waiting so just booked it in and got one, but just now I received an email back from NZTA and they are saying "A brake declaration is only required on vehicle's that are entering the New Zealand fleet for the first time."

So I probably didn't need to spend that $45, oh well!

I am yet to take it through VTNZ for the check (waiting on a quieter exhaust pipe to arrive, it has a unrestricted offroad one on at the moment), hopefully update this post in a week or two with good news :>

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    good info on here its mint! phew, just read thru 5 pages seeing if anyone has answered this: (I have asked VTNZ and they just kept repeating I need dereg papers from overseas if its an import, or dereg papers from here if its kiwi..) how bout if the bike was never registered anywhere?
    Can anything be done with a mid 90's japanese sportsbike that has no previous history in nz, I believe it was used as a racebike/track toy in the 90's but has full road kit for it, gauges fairings lights everything for road. just with the bits and pieces that came with it and the virtually no kms on the odometer all the road bits are like new it looks like someones track toy that prob was never registered anywhere from new only used on the track? I gave the chassis number etc to the police to run but all they could tell me was that it was not reported stolen.

Whos a magician? haha will pay ya handsomely to get it reg' its so tidy and it has everything it needs to go on the road and low kms it just seems a shame to not be able to reg it and ride it on the road? It has no history but a clean police record when run the tags that are on it. No history of it ever being registered or imported. No idea where its from myself, previous owner was pretty vague too. And previous owner before that claims its been in NZ for ages but no history on paper at all, it just seems to be a toy getting passed around for the last decade.

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    also i find it funny that here I am, trying to give the govt. a lot of registration money (1000cc) and licensing money with a basically brand new immaculate bike and they don't want to help out! seems like easy money to me. paperwork n red tape eh? always getting in the way

Bike
    KTM 530EXC-R
    okay heres what I did to get my 2000 DRZ400E re-registered after the previous owner handed the plates in 6 years ago..

1. Brake Declaration from Suzuki dealer $45 (don't think this is actually required tho - VTNZ told me it was, NZTA told me it wasn't...)
    2. Letter from last registered owner confirming legitimate sale
    3. Dropped it into VTNZ with paper work and $145 later + cost of 6 months registration its on the road with a new plate!!

Thread Information