Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruapehu Motorcycle Club

Bike
    2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Or swigging green ginger wine.............
    Never heard of Green Ginger Wine before.

Is it like Ginger Beer or Ginger Ale?
    Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.

After a while you realise the pig is enjoying it.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Never heard of Green Ginger Wine before.

Is it like Ginger Beer or Ginger Ale?
    http://www.stonesgingerwine.com/heritage/

Great for those nippy winter rally nights. Don't have to pee as much as you do drinking beer either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g_stones_ad_th.gif 
Views:	31 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	139801  

Bike
    2007 GSX1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by popelli View Post
    want some more info on this club

the ruapehu motorcycle club organise the cold kiwi and have done so since about 1974

they claim that it is nz's permier motorcycle event, but I have my doubts

they have made an awful lot of money out of it and for a long time refused to provide any form of entertainment or a marquee because "they could not afford to"

after a few locals got fed up with all the money being made by the ruapehu motorcylce club they got together and put on the midwinter rage in the mid ninety's complete witha a marquee, bands and strippers

strange that after competition appeared the cold kiwi could now afford entertainment even though they were losing 100's of gate sales to another event

ever tried to join the ruapehu motorcycle club? rumour has it that it is a closed shop because they do not want to dilute the earnings per member

the first rally I ever went to was 25 years ago to the cold kiwi, possibly one of the worst rallies I have ever been too, the sound system was a 8w speaker, food that was available was truely dire.

My enduring memory was that they ran out of badges and refused to get any more made up to post out to late arrivals until they had sold enough to make an economic order quantity for another run of badges even though they had happily taken the money off these people at the gate
    My first experience in Waiouru was the Mid-Winter Rage in 1997. Having heard that just down the road was the so called Cold Kiwi. Only idiots or those with balls would go. No fires, no band, no marquee, no food etc. That is what I heard.

I only starting attending after they changed sites and the Mid-Winter Rage ceased. They now have all of the above. And I was surprised too, when as a gate paying rally goer, I was posted a badge a couple of weeks later. My local rally (Cold Duck) do not give badges to gate sales - only pre-paid tickets get them.

However, all said. I love the Cold Kiwi and have only missed one event in 5 years.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
    My first experience in Waiouru was the Mid-Winter Rage in 1997. Having heard that just down the road was the so called Cold Kiwi. Only idiots or those with balls would go. No fires, no band, no marquee, no food etc. That is what I heard.

Great what heresay does eh? there has always been fires, big ones too, at the kiwi and alwasy been food indeed it was a condition of the army letting the site being used that a catered meal for each and every person was to be provided and indeed was till they found people not eating when it was provided then of course there was no other food so they introduced takeaways. true there was no marquee, no bands earlier on and the original concept of the rally didn't plan for this either
    The rally in its biggest year drew 4500 people and there were no bands nor marquees, it was on the summit of the desert road and every one had to look after their own shelter and entertainment and we all loved it. That was the whole concept there simply wasn't the room to put a marquee up and indeed given that the rally attendance increase nearly 30% every year up until that time it proved they were doing things well.
    The rally has softened now with the original concept to go and rough it on the desert road in winter long forgotten.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by popelli View Post
    the ruapehu motorcycle club organise the cold kiwi and have done so since about 1974

they claim that it is nz's permier motorcycle event, but I have my doubts

they have made an awful lot of money out of it and for a long time refused to provide any form of entertainment or a marquee because "they could not afford to"

after a few locals got fed up with all the money being made by the ruapehu motorcylce club they got together and put on the midwinter rage in the mid ninety's complete witha a marquee, bands and strippers

strange that after competition appeared the cold kiwi could now afford entertainment even though they were losing 100's of gate sales to another event

ever tried to join the ruapehu motorcycle club? rumour has it that it is a closed shop because they do not want to dilute the earnings per member

the first rally I ever went to was 25 years ago to the cold kiwi, possibly one of the worst rallies I have ever been too, the sound system was a 8w speaker, food that was available was truely dire.

My enduring memory was that they ran out of badges and refused to get any more made up to post out to late arrivals until they had sold enough to make an economic order quantity for another run of badges even though they had happily taken the money off these people at the gate
    hey poppelli you're welcome to join the club its dead easy and certainally not a closed shop at all, contact them through www.coldkiwi.co.nz. I was a member for over a dozen years and after all the hard toil to organise the KIWI over the months before, during, and after used to get a T shirt, a sweatshirt and we'd have a club dinner for the members, in a restaurant in Taihape a couple of weeks later. Most years we'd go to a camping ground for a christmas do, a barabie and a chilly bin full of piss. I would travel for those years three hours return to a meeting and would get petrol vouchers to cover the cost of motion lotion. I never received a cent for anything else I assure you, not a bloody cent
    As for your claims of not being able to afford a band or a tent that's poppycock. The rally concept at the start was to rough it on the summit of the desert road and rough it we did and make outr own entertainment we did, and did it well. The attendance grew steadily at 20-30% for quite a few years indicating that people were happy enough with the concept to return and sell it to their mates. We had no room for a marquee at six-cross on the desert road quite simply and with it growing at that rate not only took it that most were comfortable with the entertainment provided but really didn't want more people to come as it was hard enough to manage as it was.
    The mid winter rage was started by some locals who wnatd to turn up in a van and were told no four wheeld vehicles and the publican who wanted to make some money out of selling alcohol, they did this to fund a trip to the states and instead of having the balls to run a standalone event chose to stand out on the road and wave people down and run the cold kiwi down in order that people would go to their event, hardly in good spirti. My own opinion was they would've had better attendance running it on another weekend and made better coin too. The proof is simply in the survival of the event, it didn't.
    As for running out of badges the economic tale you cite is again poppycock.
    at a commitee level it was decided that when badges run out they run out. Personally I was the loudest opposition to this but as member of a commitee stand by their decision. It was in an effort to get people to prepay.
    Join up Poppelli and do the hard yards running something like this, I tell you its a hell of a satisfying thing and it's also a prick to hear people quoting rumours etc like you, but thats what happens I guess.
    Meanwhile I'm off to the rally next weekend, my 27th in a row, it's not the same as it used to be, the original concept has long gone but its still a great party.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Hey jellywrestler. Could you tell me more about the club? Where does it meet? When was it established?

And thanks to everyone else in this threads. I've managed to extract a few of the facts for the Wiki.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Cold_Kiwi

Bike
    Well.... let me see.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    http://www.stonesgingerwine.com/heritage/

Great for those nippy winter rally nights. Don't have to pee as much as you do drinking beer either.
    Oooo yuk Bonez, that's stuff is gross so that's the trick to the shit you guys are hopeless
    Yes I must admit that it seems to be a rally tradition to have a bottle of the green ginger wine yuk, i'll stick to whisky.

The Kiwi, is fantastic it's a good time to catch up with mates, yes talk bullshit drink lots, have nana naps, and generally have a blast, you can't miss it!!! Waking up in the morning peeking out your tent and seeing everything is white and seeing the mountain is truly an experience, get back in your tent and go back to sleep
    4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul & sidecars are a shit load of fun!
    **Busted Racing #66** www.cdmtc.org.nz

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    The rally has softened now with the original concept to go and rough it on the desert road in winter long forgotten.
    It's certainly not forgotten Spyder.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Hey jellywrestler. Could you tell me more about the club? Where does it meet? When was it established?

And thanks to everyone else in this threads. I've managed to extract a few of the facts for the Wiki.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Cold_Kiwi
    Wow some people really are touchy. I ask for a tiny bit of information about the club so that I can put it on the wiki and get red-repped for it. Is knowing where it meets and when it was established really a secret that can't be shared with everyone else?

If you don't want other people to know about the club then so be it. I'm starting to think there is some merit in what popelli said.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherWC View Post
    Hey Phillip, RMCC is also Rodney Motorcycle Club
    I've since found out it is also the Rotorua Motorcycle Club, so we have three RMCC's so far.

Bike
    MV Augusta 2014 ABS

Cold Kiwi

Pic from 2007 Cold Kiwi. This dude has been every year for the last 32 years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002_0101Bowling0111.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	140843  

Thread Information