Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Coming from Canada (b1unt3d)

Bike
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    hey, thanks for the tip.

I actually don't have a car, but I really want to buy a car asap I would like a relatively cheap, but reliable car (oxymoron eh).. can you guys recommend a good make/model etc? I haven't heard of most of the models here, and there's a ton of weird makes (puegot, holden etc). Is trademe the best? If anyone can link me to a good example of a solid car to buy (.. preferably around $2000-2500 give or take) that would be awesome.

I am at a hostel that charges by the MB instead of time (sooo weird).. other weird things I have noticed: 6% milk? that's intense. Back in edmonton we don't even have higher than 3.25% (homo or homogenized). The closest I have found is "slim" 1.6%. Oh and what's up with not refrigerating eggs? that is freakin weird! :P And goddamn people in cars are pricks, never stopping etc. Do they ALWAYS have the right of way? I don't understand that at all.

Bike
    '96 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by b1unt3d View Post
    hey, thanks for the tip.

... I haven't heard of most of the models here, and there's a ton of weird makes (puegot, holden etc). Is trademe the best? If anyone can link me to a good example of a solid car to buy...
    Not surprised you haven't heard of Peugeot, they only been making cars since 1889 LMAO! For what its worth, I've had my peugeot for about 3 years and its never let me down

Bike
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    I have definitely heard of it, but I had only seen one in my entire life in Canada :P

Bike
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    By the way, does anyone have an authenticated TradeMe account.. and can send a question to sellers for me? I am in Rotorua right now and have my eye on this car:

Mazda familia 1998
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-264204007.htm

If you could get them to text me (Sean) at 0211492896 that would be awesome!!!

Bike
    GL1800
    I would recommend buying a well serviced Jap car (Sent you a Priv Message)

TradeMe would be a good source to start at......... it's a Buyers market so you can walk away fom plenty of non hagglers knowing there are more to look at.........have fun

RotoVegas has a quasi Car Sale park up spot just past Pak'nSave heading toward the airport on the left
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple
    hey dude, no one will stop for you crossing the parking lot or crossing the street like in edmonton, pedestrians are meant to use the "zebra" stripe crossings and controlled lights etc
    cars basically have right of way etc

at the stop signs and give ways just give way to the vehicle on your right, not who got to the intersection first.. not that we have any 4 way stops

toyoto corolla or honda civic are reliable and cheap, just find one that has been looked after. i think ellislie racecourse (horse racing) still have a car fair on during 8am-12pm every sunday morning, free to get in an look around usually a ton of cars there with their owners to chat to an take for a test drive. get in early for the bargains. people usually put high prices on the windows so bargain them down.

that mazda will be ok, remember it will need another cambelt and waterpump done as its done 80,000 since last one est $550-600.

spend some time looking around and getting an idea of whats on the market. generally anything here with more than 150,000kms is considered "high" or getting on.. not like in Canada it would be barely run in..
    Conquiztador:There is 250's and then there is 2fucken50's!!!

Bike
    Trumph Trophy
    Hey there Sean

That car would be not bad buying if a little gutless. Y not just buy yr bike?
    To do something well is so worth while that to die trying to it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of a life to do nothing with ones ability, for I feel life is not measured in achievement, not in years alone. BRUCE MCLAREN

Bike
    Trumph Trophy
    By the way, does anyone have an authenticated TradeMe account.. and can send a question to sellers for me? I am in Rotorua right now and have my eye on this car:

Mazda familia 1998
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-264204007.htm

If you could get them to text me (Sean) at 0211492896 that would be awesome!!!

Question asked
    To do something well is so worth while that to die trying to it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of a life to do nothing with ones ability, for I feel life is not measured in achievement, not in years alone. BRUCE MCLAREN

Bike
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    Dan: Thank you very much for asking the question for me, I really appreciate it Gutless is perfectly fine for me at the moment.. I am still getting used to driving on the left (so strange) and would prefer to save money on gas than have a fast car Unlike Canada, I don't plan to speed here. As for why I don't get a bike.. I met up with two 20 year old German girls, and we plan to travel together for the next couple of months, so I need a car. Very nice.

The car looks decent.. fucking ugly as shit.. but it looks like it is in fairly good condition etc. It is being sold by an automotive shop though.. that kind of makes me wary.. what do you guys think about that? It is called LRC Automotive and it is here in Rotorua..

It says 161 000 km .. is there any chance they could somehow set it back? He says the belt has just been fixed (it looks brand new to me) but I will ask about the water pump.. thank you for the tip. He said he wants $2700 or $2800 with a brand new WOF... what do you guys think is a fair price for the car? I was thinking maybe offer $2250ish and see what he says.. Maybe meet at $2500 with a new WOF. Is that a fair price for a 1998 Mazda Famillia (Is that a protege.. I don't think they made 323's by 1998 for North America).. I would like to buy a car but I don't know car values here in NZ.

Thank you all for the help.. I really appreciate. In a few months when the girls go back to Germany I will probably ditch the car and get a bike

Bike
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    Well the guy wouldn't take $2500. Do you guys think that the car is worth more? .. 0211492896 if you can txt me your opinion as I don't really have access to internet anymore (had to go back to my hostel to find out if anyone replied) if not, a post here would be good too! I really need a car but I don't want to get ripped off :P

Bike
    Well the guy wouldn't take $2500. Do you guys think that the car is worth more? ..
    Guess you gotta ask yourself if your two German gals are worth more than $2500? For help with that question, you would really need to post up lots of pix...

Bike
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    Basically I am wondering if $2700 is a fair price for the car or not.. considering it will save me a couple hundred in other expenses as well. Do you guys think that the Mazda Familia is a quality car? I am hoping to drive it for half a year or so and then sell it for as much as I can.. with hopefully no repairs in between (obviously that would be kind of based on luck and what not)...

Bike
    I guess you get what you pay for but $2700 sounds a bit steep for what you want. I recall alot of the overseas climbers I met paid $1000-1500 for a decent vehicle. In most cases I think they were vans or wagons. That was around 2004-5. Could be worth sending a PM to BADGRL. she works in a car yard here that caters to tourists and backpackers. Maybe she could give you an ides of whats what.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/me...p/12712-BADGRL

Bike
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    Hey,

I don't mind spending up to $2500. I don't really want to get a POS for like $1000 because I am not mechanically inclined at all. I'd rather pay a bit more now and hopefully save more in the future.

So I think I might wait to get a car when I go to the South Island.. What do you guys think of these:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-264147066.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-264514663.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-264675092.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-265018008.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-260970794.htm

heh .. thanks in advance if anyone replies

PS, I am currently in Taupo. Man... this country is so beautiful! I went sky diving today... I still can't believe I jumped out of a fucking plane today!!

Bike
    Trumph Trophy
    The little blue toyota carolla would be the best buy as long as you dont mind driving a nana,s car. Will run for ever and cost you sweet fa to run.
    Cheers Dan

Thread Information