Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying on Ebay

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    Cheers for all the advice. Ended up using a store like Allan sugested. T'was an expensive night, but saved quite a bit too

Bike
    R1, GSXR1000, VFR800, GB500. NSR250
    I just went a bid mad and purchased a new Akrapovic can from Japan and a shock, forks and wheels from the US. Thankfully, I have free freight ex US to NZ!

Bike
    2006 Kawasaki ER-6n, 2009 CT110, NBC110
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    I just went a bid mad and purchased a new Akrapovic can from Japan and a shock, forks and wheels from the US. Thankfully, I have free freight ex US to NZ!
    Any way you can share that luxury with the rest of us? Well, more importantly, me?

Bike
    Tiger 675
    bought quite a few bits and so can offer these averages:

5% chance the bits won't be as billed, ie damaged in some way

5% chance the deal will go sour in some other way because the seller's a scum bag

all in all about the same as Trademe I would think

Bike
    Was a GSXR 1000 k6
    Bought a SHOEI Flatter xr1000 helmet from USA on EBAY but the shipping is expensive 84dollars or something for express and tracking etc.

Bike
    track bike
    Blog Entries
    I ordered two (used) Brembo break calipers last Wednesday 26th from a trusted Ebay store.

They just arrived to my desk here at work, a week later.

No customs no GST no drama.

(and I did ask around locally before I bought it overseas, to be a good citizen)

Now I have to examine them to make sure they are in good shape.

Bike
    I ordered some bar end mirrors off ebay last week. NZ$29.95 including delivery. Just waiting on them to arrive now.

Bike
    Like Dani Pedrosa's RC211V now!
    Have bought rotors, exhaust, rectifier/regulator, screens, crash knobs etc for my Fireblades thru Ebay. So far all good experience. Save between a third to half price in all case. Items arrive within 2 weeks which is better the bike shops bringing ex-Japan stuff at higher price and longer time.

Always pay by paypal so that in the event of a dispute paypal will re-imburse you the cost. ABout to purchase a set of brake pads so hopefully another good experience.
    Don't just live to ride but ride to live.

Bike
    CBR MC19, Project K6 GSXR600

Paypal?

Quote Originally Posted by klyong82 View Post
    Have bought rotors, exhaust, rectifier/regulator, screens, crash knobs etc for my Fireblades thru Ebay. So far all good experience. Save between a third to half price in all case. Items arrive within 2 weeks which is better the bike shops bringing ex-Japan stuff at higher price and longer time.

Always pay by paypal so that in the event of a dispute paypal will re-imburse you the cost. ABout to purchase a set of brake pads so hopefully another good experience.
    With Paypal, could i use a debit card?

Also, is it like escrow i think it is, where they hold the money, then you are shipped the goods then the money is released? If so then that is great! I always thought it was just sort of like tracked Western Union
    Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. One wheel moves the filth

Relax Officer Pig, It was just a wheelie

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymzw View Post

Also, is it like escrow i think it is, where they hold the money, then you are shipped the goods then the money is released? If so then that is great! I always thought it was just sort of like tracked Western Union
    Yes you can use a debit card. I do. And I am pretty sure the money just goes straight to the sellers paypal account. But paypal are able to reverse the charges if necessary.

Bike
    Lil Tricycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I have made numerous purchases from Ebay, by and large satisfactorily.

GST is seldom a problem, though you may be obliged to pay it on very expensive purchases . I do not know about that , being only a poor impoverished old man subsisting etc etc.

The big hassles are usually (a) sellers who do not want to post to NZ , which most of them have never heard of (b) grotesquely incorrect addresses on the parcels (c) the freight or postage cost. Be VERY sure to check this first, and ensure that it is indeed the postage to NEW ZEALAND (d) the exchange rate . Do your sums carefully
    E) Add than another 2.5-3% on top of your final purchase price and then convert to NZ $. NZD is good at the moment.

F) Use USPS International Express Mail for tracking option.

G) Allow about 2 weeks.

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket
    I've brought off ebay...it's good when the exchange rate is favorable!

If you can, use a credit card for payment, the chargeback/disputes process works much more in the cardholders favour if you have problems with the seller (unless Paypal have changed the way they manage this).

Also, don't forget that there'll be currency conversion charges for pretty much what ever form of payment you choose.
    The Unknown Rider

Bike
    Like Dani Pedrosa's RC211V now!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymzw View Post

Yes Paypal is something like a escrow but the money actually goes to the sellers account directly but Paypal will still am to reimburse you if you have a dispute but subject to their investigation. You can get your bank account connected to paypal....
    Don't just live to ride but ride to live.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    I received a letter from NZ Post this morning. "A formal customs clearance is required".

...looks like I may be up for some GST

oh well, was told that may happen.

now...

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Check postage...UK is OK, USA is variable, Europe is fucking expensive!
    And in the unlikely event that you find something cheap on Ebay.com.au the post from Australia is both more expensive and slower than ex US or UK.

Thread Information