Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using body filler.

Bike
    `

Using body filler.

One of my steel tanks has got a deep dent I need to patch up. I've never really used body filler before, so I'm not sure if you can put body filler over another (dried, sanded) layer of filler? It's impossible to spread this much filler at once without risking air bubbles. Would it adhere properly?

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by wbks View Post
    One of my steel tanks has got a deep dent I need to patch up. I've never really used body filler before, so I'm not sure if you can put body filler over another (dried, sanded) layer of filler? It's impossible to spread this much filler at once without risking air bubbles. Would it adhere properly?
    Why not take some of the dent out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    '92 Kawasaki ZXR250C
    Get some Nutech, I think that's what it's called. It's a 2 part filler with aluminium fibres. Been using it the past couple of days and it's the shit. It'll stick to anything, you can put it on as thick as you like, it's changes consistancy as it dries so you start out with a rough shape and as it hardens you fine tune it until it's like working with clay, and it's easy to sand. I'm pretty sure it's what panel-beaters use. I got it from Repco.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" - Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    `
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Why not take some of the dent out?
    I would but I can't bang it out myself and I'd rather use this old tin of body filler that's getting no use, than pay for someone with the tools to do it. I mean, even if I did push it out, wouldn't you still need to use a bit of filler to cover the creases?

Bike
    Tbird
    I have filled some pretty big holes with bondy in cars,and it has stuck to itself ok.

Bike
    `
    Quote Originally Posted by NDORFN View Post
    Get some Nutech, I think that's what it's called. It's a 2 part filler with aluminium fibres. Been using it the past couple of days and it's the shit. It'll stick to anything, you can put it on as thick as you like, it's changes consistancy as it dries so you start out with a rough shape and as it hardens you fine tune it until it's like working with clay, and it's easy to sand. I'm pretty sure it's what panel-beaters use. I got it from Repco.
    If you put too much in one place don't you risk air bubbles?

Bike
    Several
    If you put too much in one place don't you risk air bubbles?
    I think about 4mm is considered about the max for doing it right.
    You CAN go much thicker, I've seen a few shockers BUT its best to pull the dent if you can and then use bog to finish it.
    A Slide hammer can be useful here but if you do anything involving heat be sure to purge the tank fully!

I find the newtech good for the main bit of filling but I prefer to finish it off with good ol' pink stuff as it is much easier to work. (I don't have power tools.)

Make sure the surface is CLEAN, DRYand keyed well. rough it up with course sandpaper. You don't even want the natural grease of you fingers on the surface so wash it down with some prepsol or the like before you bog it.

EDIT: ahh the question! If I'm doing a bit and get air bubbles I just put a nice thin coat of pink stuff over it to fill the bubbles, its a bit fiddly.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Several
    Practice lots and you will get good at it.

Just as a random bit of trivia a guy I knew dip stripped his rally car while rebuilding it. The car was a bit of a veteran being a factory car built for a jap hotshot. He worked out it had 25kg of bog in it!!!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Usually, big bog jobs look like big bog jobs. Ie, they look like shit. You will have fun anyway.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    `
    Well the dent was previously filled in (it has to be atleast 4 centermeters deep) with filler. Seeing as so many of you are suggesting that I bump the dent out, what is the proper way to purge the tank? I used to have mates that block one end of their two stroke expansion chamber, put pressurised air in the other and heat the dent gently with a blowtorch untill the dent pushes out. That's the only way I could think of doing the dent without proper tools.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    I used to have mates that block one end of their two stroke expansion chamber, put pressurised air in the other and heat the dent gently with a blowtorch untill the dent pushes out. That's the only way I could think of doing the dent without proper tools.
    You used to have them? I can see why. Don't you even think of doing that with a fuel tank - you will blow yourself sky high.

Have a good search on KB and with google before you do anything.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    `
    Well of course I wasn't going to try it right now, but I figure there has to be some way of completely purging a steel fuel tank? I've tried pushing it out with a few spanners and anything else I can fit in and get to the dents with but I don't think it's going to work!

Bike
    Honda PC800
    WBKS Look dude think this through--worst case senario is???
    Reality in this case is the job you do looks like shit and youve gotta strip it back and start again--woopdee doo.
    Its already a bog job so the dents a few layers down.
    Get stuck in with some 40 grit sandpaper and rip into the old bog so youve got something for the new bog to bit into.
    Heres a lil secret for ya. Cut a cardboard profile off of the UNDAMAGED side of the tank.
    Now make up some new filler and lay it into the dent.
    Your cardboard pofile will give you an idea if you are overthickness with the bog.
    Let it go half off and you can shape it to close to the profile with a scaper (looks like a small cheese grater)
    have fun dude
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    `
    Just figured I should ask someone who would know before wasting all the filler! I'll have to wait untill tomorrow, anyway. Nah I took the bog off, it's bare metal all over, now. Might as well try it out and see if I can do it in one go, then...

Bike
    '92 Kawasaki ZXR250C
    I haven't had any air bubbles at all. It's not the kind of stuff that allows air into it in the first place. I filled a dent about 4cm deep and about 10cm in diameter in one go without any hassles. I doubt you could make air bubbles in this stuff if you tried.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" - Hunter S. Thompson

Thread Information