Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why we need to slow down

Bike
    Noire

mate

check my site out www.badd.co.nz and you'll see why bikers have to be aware of their surroundings, its the most nastiest carnage yet, if this doesnt pull some heads in I dont know what will...
    just a wee foot note, its not that often its the bike's fault
    cheers

baddnz@gmail.com

Bike
    Niftyfifty
    Thats so fake

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport

Reaction Times

A shocking example. I would also question the 1.6 second 'Police Stated' reaction time.
    Last edited by YellowDog; 3rd March 2009 at 15:34. Reason: already done.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    2005 GSXR 750
    Thats pretty hard to look at actually. Not nice at all. On the news today at lunch there was a guy on a Busa in England, riding in the wet doing 122 Mph with his son on the back. He was photographed just as he was about to enter a corner and his son had no gloves on. As a result he is spending time in jail and looking his licence for six months. In the wet his reaction times would not be so good at that speed either....

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Speed kills IS over done, more attention to surroundings WILL in EVERY case increase YOUR chancs of coming out of it ok, because you are alert, and watching others, side roads, other traffic, pedestrians and constantly looking for a way out. awareness and training and a re-hash of how we get our liscenses is the key to this.
    It doesnt matter if YOU NEVER break a speed limit, its about all the other F$#@wits out there. If you worry ALL about what YOU are doing, then your are going to die, because you werent watching out for that dickhead who was creeping forward at the T intersection, trying to make it into a tiny gap, and thus YOU didnt create an opportunity for YOU to be aware of, or make an evasive manouvre, that would have been an alternative to plowing into them.

Im sick of the speed kills rubbish. we still have a road toll thats WAY too high. Time to try something NEW like more driver training at every level of liscencing.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Im sick of the speed kills rubbish. we still have a road toll thats WAY too high. Time to try something NEW like more driver training at every level of liscencing.
    Like Finland with THREE years as a Learner, mandatory night-driving training etc.

But moaning Kiwi plonkers would whinge it 'wasn't fair'.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    ducati 600ss / a 100
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Like Finland with THREE years as a Learner, mandatory night-driving training etc.

i reckon put all people on a bike for the first 6+months.
    surely it would make people think about the road, conditions and what is going on around them.
    i'm amazed at the amount of car drivers that corner in the wet with 2 wheels on the paint,even if it is there inside wheels,they really don't understand how much traction they have lost.
    that is just one point,there are many more.
    forsale A100,awesome power.
    near ready for bucket raceing,or just a padock,beach hack.
    gotta be a good deal,surely

Bike
    A chubby lollipop

Dunno about doing three years on a learners, why not have a 'prove yourself course'? That way the 'naturals' can get a full license in short order thanks to their skills while others who need to hone their skills can go and do so over time. Night driving training is a good idea though and learning what to do with mirrors and indicators is also helpful.

There simply isn't enough supervised training time for people who want to get a bike license. After riding for donkey's years without one I went through the process and documented it; what a farce! Several hundred dollars went west and I noted no more than 45mins of supervised riding. It was bollocks! In the final test for my full I actually LOST the tester in traffic! How the fuck could she have known what I was doing while out of sight?

I don't think our current system is too bad though (anything can be improved) but the testing was poorly executed in my case and (IMHO) the process could benefit many if the focus was more on the riding than paper shuffling. One on one training is ideal but very expensive. I don't have any problem with a graduated license system overall but if someone wants to attend (and pay for) an advanced course to reduce the time spent at each level then provision should be made for such. Also, if you attended several of these courses and became (for example) a 'Gold Class' license holder perhaps your insurance premiums could be lowered or the ACC portion of your rego' reduced etc. Give a driver/rider some incentive to better themselves.

As an aside SD; the Delta Nats??? LMAO, is that a new political party down there?

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Currently we're throwing riders and drivers out there who dont need to have clue, all they have to do is tick a few answers they've studied, and manage to not fuckup for 20minutes. If you do a DD course, youll learn not to put the aircon on recycle, and the difference between fog and normal lights. Amazing how many have no idea.

And since when was mum a qualified instructor? She cant back for shit, cant check her tyre pressures, doesnt stop at stop signs, regularly speeds and cant hold a line to save herself. Little jimmy's going to learn real good from her.

Quote Originally Posted by peasea View Post
    That way the 'naturals' can get a full license in short order thanks to their skills while others who need to hone their skills can go and do so over time.
    There are no 'naturals' out there, accelerated learning leaves gaps in understanding. Better for there to be no exceptions and for everyone to just toe the line. The shortened period for cagers to get on ZX10's is just stupid.

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    Currently we're throwing riders and drivers out there who dont need to have clue, all they have to do is tick a few answers they've studied, and manage to not fuckup for 20minutes. If you do a DD course, youll learn not to put the aircon on recycle, and the difference between fog and normal lights. Amazing how many have no idea.

And since when was mum a qualified instructor? She cant back for shit, cant check her tyre pressures, doesnt stop at stop signs, regularly speeds and cant hold a line to save herself. Little jimmy's going to learn real good from her.

There are no 'naturals' out there, accelerated learning leaves gaps in understanding. Better for there to be no exceptions and for everyone to just toe the line. The shortened period for cagers to get on ZX10's is just stupid.
    It could be argued that to put anyone on a ZX10 is "just stupid".

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    There gotta be something in this. Finland has produced some of the world best racing drivers.

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    There gotta be something in this. Finland has produced some of the world best racing drivers.
    Good point; they always Finnish well.

Is Finnish humour, ya?

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by peasea View Post
    Good point; they always Finnish well.

Is Finnish humour, ya?
    Yarp......

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Here's another Statistic:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10560305
    Anthony Stewart Hill - Just a school kid - RIP
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    I think comprehensive tests involving track time, skid pads, defensive driving and a whole bunch of other things should be required to get a licence.

Then when you pass (and if it takes a year or 10 years) when you prove you can pass the test then you can get out there on the road.

This creates other problems where people will be taught how to do the test rather than how to ride/drive. Just have to hope they pick up a few skills on the way.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Thread Information