Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake fade... help

Bike
    CBR600RR, WR250 smoker

Brake fade... help

Hey guys,

I’ve done a few track days now and about half way through each session I start to get brake fade. It’s not too bad but it can be annoying. Any ideas on what pads I can put in that will last the session? I’m not looking for race pads just a bit of an upgrade.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers guys / girls.

Bike
    Riffer

braided lines

your rubber hoses will be the problem. they get too hot and flex to much taking more travel in the lever to do the same thing as when cooler. Get braided lines. It shouldnt cost more than about $200. pads can cost that much so its a cheap good mod that will fix your problem.
    I'm off to the pub, I may be sometime.

Bike
    CBR600RR, WR250 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by scroter View Post
    your rubber hoses will be the problem. they get too hot and flex to much taking more travel in the lever to do the same thing as when cooler. Get braided lines. It shouldnt cost more than about $200. pads can cost that much so its a cheap good mod that will fix your problem.
    i did think about braided lines but ive been told you can lose a bit of feel. thanks though i will look into it.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    hh sinter pads if your using on road as well.Braided hoses will help or at least change the brake fluid and do a good job of bleeding them when you change it.
    If its your road bike make sure that your braided lines are dot approved so dont just get cheap lines from overseas or you wont get warrents.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Put Castrol Response Super Dot4 fluid in, too (it's the stuff in the silver bottle... Supercheap sells it even)
    It's VERY good fluid. Another bonus is that it's clear, and discolours when it is going off (in need of changing)
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    Various
    What is the condition of your pads and when was the fluid last changed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    1992 ZXR250C 2008 ZX6R
    Modify some standard kwaka pads to fit and it will haul up for sure... I just gone back to standards as the sinterd pads were not as good..

Go for the bleed and higher rated fluid.. I reckon. Makes a huge difference!

Either that or sort your lines out so you dont need them as much hehehehe jokes dude
    holding the line...

Bike
    WR269f, WR450f
    If its for the 600rr your talking about, the pads Honda use won't be the problem, I use prefer the stock pads over others, they have better bite and have never faded on me.
    For fluid you can also try a DOT 5.1, its compatible with DOT 4 but has a higher boiling point, but make sure its not DOT 5, thats silicone based.

Bike
    A few
    Like the others have said mate, fluid ! Get in the habit of bleeding a little fluid out after each track day as it does break down with heat and cause fade !
    If your unsure what fluid ya have in it, bleed it out with a good product !
    Like Tony said it wont be the pads if this is happening half way through a session (ya dirty old fluid's just gettin hot)
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Like Tony said it wont be the pads if this is happening half way through a session (ya dirty old fluid's just gettin hot)
    That said, if pads are worn (thinner linings) heat will transfer quicker through the pad into the pistons then to the fluid.
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    CBR600RR, WR250 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    What is the condition of your pads and when was the fluid last changed?
    Pads aren’t that bad, getting a bit low though so might be worth changing. ive never changed my fluid. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by steelestring View Post

Either that or sort your lines out so you dont need them as much hehehehe jokes dude
    smart arse haha (but good point)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post
    If its for the 600rr your talking about, the pads Honda use won't be the problem, I use prefer the stock pads over others, they have better bite and have never faded on me.
    For fluid you can also try a DOT 5.1, its compatible with DOT 4 but has a higher boiling point, but make sure its not DOT 5, thats silicone based.
    willchange fluid tonight. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Like the others have said mate, fluid ! Get in the habit of bleeding a little fluid out after each track day as it does break down with heat and cause fade !
    If your unsure what fluid ya have in it, bleed it out with a good product !
    fluid it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    That said, if pads are worn (thinner linings) heat will transfer quicker through the pad into the pistons then to the fluid.
    they are getting a bit thin so that could also be the problem. thanks for the help.

how long should brake fluid last? im just hitting 10,000 with two track days... is this the standard life span of fluid?

Bike
    GSXR450
    All new bikes, are NOT bled up properlly!!!

It pays to bleed your brakes after/before each track day

Std pads are about the best on the market mate
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by 325rocket View Post

how long should brake fluid last? im just hitting 10,000 with two track days... is this the standard life span of fluid?
    It's not a km issue.
    The manuals often say 24 months, though you will usually notice a difference in 12 months.
    I change fluid every 12 months - bikes and cars.
    For racing I'd certainly go for the shorter period, but hey, you can't get better advice than Shaun, and if you did bleed every meet it would be being replaced over 12 months or sooner anyway.

I only ever add fluid to the bike from a new and sealed container too.

Bike
    Ducati 748
    Just buy a Ducati man

Bike
    CBR600RR, WR250 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm motarded View Post
    Just buy a Ducati man
    a "Ducati Man" you say ... do you need one to ride your bike for you? is it no good with just a "Ducati Boy" on it

Thread Information